Hoosier Favorite "Real" Artist?

Milton

I'm interested in seeing who your favorite artists are. I know this is in the wrong forum and there is most likely another thread, so I'll probably be banned.

My Favorite Artist of the last 14 days is Damien Hirst. I know, you think he sucks and isn't really an artist.

Here is a sample of his work:

B27379C80219E1D56169.jpg

972497619.2831.2.jpg

Things I like:

The fact that he's a nut-job.

Social commentary and quasi-profound yet oh so catchy titles.

Installations using living (and dead) animals.

Fascination with medical equipment.

Parking a car on the steps to a London gallery.

Things I don't like:

The dots, enough with that shit already.

The fact that he has other people make spin paintings and then sells them as his own.

The fact that prints are extremely expensive.

(And I hear he doesn't care about black people...)

What percentage is you?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That shit is gangsta ferreal.

Also, as an aside. I went to this house party at some rich kids house and I swear I saw an early Rothko. What do those things run for? Can anyone point me to one that would be black background using reds, greys, and muted yellows before he went into the "painting boxes" phase?

Pollock was cool because he was a fucking bully. Dude forced what he wanted to do down people's throats until they had no choice but to acknowledge, accept and appreciate. If that isn't an 'artist,' I don't know what the fuck is.

Are there other angry Pollock-types (in apporach, not technique) out there? I don't know shit about art.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Mar 13 2006, 02:55 PM

Pollock was cool because he was a fucking bully. Dude forced what he wanted to do down people's throats until they had no choice but to acknowledge, accept and appreciate. If that isn't an 'artist,' I don't know what the fuck is.

Are there other angry Pollock-types (in apporach, not technique) out there? I don't know shit about art.

Marcel Duchamp and all of the dada artists were like that...

Bacon is definitely Pollock-esque in that sense. I understand being inspired by other artists. I even get copying works for your self to understand how they work. I don't understand completely biting Pollock's techniques, then passing it off as your own saying it is "Asian inspired" but making no reference to Pollock all the while maintaining an "I'm so much cooler than you because I'm an artist" demeanor. I have no respect for that...

Steve Austin,

It wasn't like those, it was before the boxes, where he had the more prototypical abstract expressionism thing going. I'm starting to doubt what it was but according to dude his cousin or sister or some shit is an art dealer in NY. Who cares, as long as its not in my living room. Pretensious bastards...

metallica_cobalt_closeup.jpg

pushead

mari_chan_menstrual_dreamer.jpg

mari-chan

IMG_0031.jpg

mr. cartoon

tori7_JPG.jpg

akira toriyama

93.jpg

Dan Namingha

conkeats.jpg

ezra jack keats

500220706_l.jpg

my niggaroach from back home patty

http://www.villalobosphotography.com/

http://prettybunny.deviantart.com/gallery

http://www.myspace.com/villalobosstudios ] http://www.myspace.com/villalobosstudios [/url]

frank frazetta

jean micheal basquiat

angelo moore

and ugh a few more i cant remember offhand

I try to go to the Rothko Chapel as much as I can when I'm at home. It's amazing.

I have always really dug H R Giger. Dude was nuts. The sketches he did along with a lot of his more off beat biomechanical sculpture stuff, amazing.

j4.jpg

15250.jpg

Giger_09.13.2004_art_02.jpg

For a long time I couldn't get into this one permanent gallery in houston of a guy named Cy Twombli, but over the last couple years I have really come to enjoy his large color panel work.

twombly_lepanto.jpg

6419.JPG

biennale6.jpg

Chuck Close, if you dont know who he is. Find out.

close.JPG

56396.jpg

close.jpg

dude used brushes with one hair on them...