1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

home studio

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by styxx119, Mar 20, 2004.

1. styxx119

styxx119 New Jack

home studio

Discussion started by styxx119 - Mar 20, 2004

im thinking of settting up a home studio to record my band.. im thinking of using my computer to record everything onto, how can i do this?

styxx119 - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Mar 20, 2004

w/ ereet juarez d00d

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. JohnnyLode

JohnnyLode 12oz Member

JohnnyLode - Replied Mar 20, 2004

just get pro tools by the mentioned way ;)

or use musicians friend

JohnnyLode - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. styxx119

styxx119 New Jack

styxx119 - Replied Mar 20, 2004

whats eeret juarez? im looking on musicians friend now.. i think im gonna get a usb preamp, and im gonna download software. and ill get some sick mics, and one of those all in one pedal deallies... shits gonna be cake

5. dojafx

dojafx 12oz Member

dojafx - Replied Mar 20, 2004

ereet juarez is a loosely knit group of software selling puerto ricans
    get your music software from them
    ask for juan

dojafx - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. styxx119

styxx119 New Jack

styxx119 - Replied Apr 18, 2004

people named juan smell funny

7. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION 12oz Member

DR+DELUSION - Replied Apr 18, 2004

man i thought this was about a home art studio, which i need.

DR+DELUSION - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra 12oz Loyalist

MrChupacabra - Replied Apr 18, 2004

My band just completed our demo using only a cheap mic hooked up to my computer and the program Cakewalk. Sure, it could sound better if we had spent the extra cash for studio time, but for a home recorded demo i think it turned out pretty well. The only real downside is we didn't have drum mics, so those didn't turn out as full and distinct as i'd like.

MrChupacabra - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  9. duh-rye-won

duh-rye-won 12oz Member

duh-rye-won - Replied Apr 18, 2004

canadians make music?:eek:

duh-rye-won - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. 8onus

8onus Banned

8onus - Replied Apr 19, 2004

this is a cheap way to set up a small home studio. i will do one for performing bands and another for hip hop shit.
    i assume you will already have a decent computer(mac or PC)
    Pro Tools is the best but i will list only alternatives because most kids dont want to fork out 450 bucks just for the software and the Mbox

For Bands:
    GET:
    Software-cubase, cakewalk, cubasis<-for the extreamly broke(controls suck but works,you can get this free)

Mics & headphones-a cheap pair of drum mics, and a GOOD condenser mic(AKG NUEMAN)
    YOU CAN GET ALL THE MICS AND CABLE AT GUITAR CENTER FOR 300 OR LESS
    MIC
    this also comes with a good pair of headphones which you need for the vocalist. the rest of the band can just use whatevers around. to connect all of the headphones get some extension chords for em and a few spliters from radioshack and connect them all to the phone out on your interface(look below) or computer(this isn't professional but it works ok)

Mixer-get something with about 8 channles AND PHANTOM POWER, YOU NEED THIS FOR THE CONDENSER MIC( i recomend the Behringer eurorack ub1204fx, it has a built in FX processor and you can stick all the drums on the last 4 channles together.)
    GET THESE ON SALE AT GUITAR CENTER OR PSSL.COM FOR UNDER 200
    look

next: you can hardwire the mixer into the line in (not recomended) but you should buy yourself a USB or firewire interface
    to connect to the mixer. this converts all analong audio to digital, sounds a helluva lot better.
    look at the tascam and M-Audio ones on this page under 200 bucks

next you connect all the mics and hook your comp up to the mixer, or if you actually bought an interface you connect the mixer to the interface which then is connected to the computer.

connect all the guitar amps to the mixer and
    the drum mics. record drums first, then guitar and bass (together)(later go back and rerecord them seperatly and then vocals.
    (for more info ask jeeves about "OVERDUBBING")

for vocals:
    stick that condenser mic in a closet.
    the clothes in the closet should insulate the sound and kill reflections but if you live on the **th floor of an high rise with assholes making tons of noise like me, then you can go to Kmart, buy some some foam bed sofenter rolls and duct tape them to the walls of the closet.

as far as adding effects to the instuments and vocals. you need to read "modern recording techniqes" buy it at boarders or something.

ESTIMATED COST: 600-700 (500 IF YOU TALK TO JUAN)

HIP HOP
    Suggested software:
    REASON
    FL STUDIO
    ACID PRO

Sugested Hardware(you dont need)
    Korg triton
    bass guitar
    Akai MPC sampler(you reeeally dont need this...but they are sooo cool)

get the same mic and interface i mentioned above(the tascam one has phantom power i dont know about the other one.)
    you can hook you turntable mixer up to this too.

Fuck around with the software and shit make loops in reason, FL Studio or with your hard ware and render them as wave files. open up Acid, drag em in, and arang and edit acordingly.
    the cool thing about acid is that its not TOO bad for recording vocals as well (as long as the MC dosn't fuck up all the time) i recorded my MCs on Acid for a long ass time and we made some good music. but you should probally render your final product from acid as a wave and stick it on cakewalk or cubase or something to record the vocal with it.

the good thing about reason, FL studio and acid is they are easy to use and come with tutorial files so you can see how songs are made.

after you got that the hard part is up to you,... making a good track.

ESTIMATED COST:400 BUCKS
    (AGAIN, ABOUT 300 WITH PABLO OR WHATEVER HIS NAME IS)

good luck

8onus - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  11. PalestineOne

PalestineOne 12oz Senior Member

PalestineOne - Replied Apr 19, 2004

I should write a joke that starts out like

why does every white guy think he can make a good band and every black guy think he can rap good?

PalestineOne - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. 8onus

8onus Banned

8onus - Replied Apr 19, 2004

naw dude, when i first started producing. there were tons of white kids coming up to me for hand outs. still are, most are fakers, posers. the good ones dont try to be someone they're not but they are few and faw between. they're attitude is like "help me out, let me get in there and record, you're one of my people" oooh, okay, so NOW you want to be white.

8onus - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  13. (no subject)

(no subject) 12oz Junior Member

(no subject) - Replied Apr 19, 2004

Not all of them, just the ones affiliated with Rush.

(no subject) - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  14. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi 12oz Senior Member

gfreshsushi - Replied Apr 19, 2004

whatever happened to a mic plugged into a twenty dollar boombox from radio shack in the middle of the garage?

y'all are too complicated.

of course, my band recorded our demo directly into some weird gizmo that our bass player has and he did a bunch of stuff to it on the computer, so whatever.

gfreshsushi - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

Brewster Baker - Replied Apr 19, 2004

hahahaha

Brewster Baker - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages: