home studio

styxx119

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 5 weeks later...

My band just completed our demo using only a cheap mic hooked up to my computer and the program Cakewalk. Sure, it could sound better if we had spent the extra cash for studio time, but for a home recorded demo i think it turned out pretty well. The only real downside is we didn't have drum mics, so those didn't turn out as full and distinct as i'd like.

this is a cheap way to set up a small home studio. i will do one for performing bands and another for hip hop shit.

i assume you will already have a decent computer(mac or PC)

Pro Tools is the best but i will list only alternatives because most kids dont want to fork out 450 bucks just for the software and the Mbox

For Bands:

GET:

Software-cubase, cakewalk, cubasis<-for the extreamly broke(controls suck but works,you can get this free)

Mics & headphones-a cheap pair of drum mics, and a GOOD condenser mic(AKG NUEMAN)

YOU CAN GET ALL THE MICS AND CABLE AT GUITAR CENTER FOR 300 OR LESS

MIC

this also comes with a good pair of headphones which you need for the vocalist. the rest of the band can just use whatevers around. to connect all of the headphones get some extension chords for em and a few spliters from radioshack and connect them all to the phone out on your interface(look below) or computer(this isn't professional but it works ok)

Mixer-get something with about 8 channles AND PHANTOM POWER, YOU NEED THIS FOR THE CONDENSER MIC( i recomend the Behringer eurorack ub1204fx, it has a built in FX processor and you can stick all the drums on the last 4 channles together.)

GET THESE ON SALE AT GUITAR CENTER OR PSSL.COM FOR UNDER 200

look

next: you can hardwire the mixer into the line in (not recomended) but you should buy yourself a USB or firewire interface

to connect to the mixer. this converts all analong audio to digital, sounds a helluva lot better.

look at the tascam and M-Audio ones on this page under 200 bucks

next you connect all the mics and hook your comp up to the mixer, or if you actually bought an interface you connect the mixer to the interface which then is connected to the computer.

connect all the guitar amps to the mixer and

the drum mics. record drums first, then guitar and bass (together)(later go back and rerecord them seperatly and then vocals.

(for more info ask jeeves about "OVERDUBBING")

for vocals:

stick that condenser mic in a closet.

the clothes in the closet should insulate the sound and kill reflections but if you live on the **th floor of an high rise with assholes making tons of noise like me, then you can go to Kmart, buy some some foam bed sofenter rolls and duct tape them to the walls of the closet.

as far as adding effects to the instuments and vocals. you need to read "modern recording techniqes" buy it at boarders or something.

ESTIMATED COST: 600-700 (500 IF YOU TALK TO JUAN)

HIP HOP

Suggested software:

REASON

FL STUDIO

ACID PRO

Sugested Hardware(you dont need)

Korg triton

bass guitar

Akai MPC sampler(you reeeally dont need this...but they are sooo cool)

get the same mic and interface i mentioned above(the tascam one has phantom power i dont know about the other one.)

you can hook you turntable mixer up to this too.

Fuck around with the software and shit make loops in reason, FL Studio or with your hard ware and render them as wave files. open up Acid, drag em in, and arang and edit acordingly.

the cool thing about acid is that its not TOO bad for recording vocals as well (as long as the MC dosn't fuck up all the time) i recorded my MCs on Acid for a long ass time and we made some good music. but you should probally render your final product from acid as a wave and stick it on cakewalk or cubase or something to record the vocal with it.

the good thing about reason, FL studio and acid is they are easy to use and come with tutorial files so you can see how songs are made.

after you got that the hard part is up to you,... making a good track.

ESTIMATED COST:400 BUCKS

(AGAIN, ABOUT 300 WITH PABLO OR WHATEVER HIS NAME IS)

good luck

naw dude, when i first started producing. there were tons of white kids coming up to me for hand outs. still are, most are fakers, posers. the good ones dont try to be someone they're not but they are few and faw between. they're attitude is like "help me out, let me get in there and record, you're one of my people" oooh, okay, so NOW you want to be white.

whatever happened to a mic plugged into a twenty dollar boombox from radio shack in the middle of the garage?

y'all are too complicated.

of course, my band recorded our demo directly into some weird gizmo that our bass player has and he did a bunch of stuff to it on the computer, so whatever.

Archived