Home Renovations: Putting in a Patio

T=E=A=S=E

whats up people. So, as some of you know, I'm an honorary mexican, haha. jk. But the construction job / A/c installation shits pretty good, going well, been there for a lil more than two weeks as of tomorrow, and today I found out we get paid every week, so im even more stoked than I previously was.

Anyways, this job gots me believing more in myself, and Ive felt the urge to build something on my own, and then I recalled that my moms always wanted a concrete patio in the backyard.

I was giving it some thought while i was at work, and I think I could do it if I plan well.

here is a shitty diagram of the backyard layout...:

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/fuckfuckfuck/patio.jpg'>

the "patio" that we have right now, is just a small square, part of the house foundation. it has 3 steps leading down into the grass. on both sides by the way. on the side parrellel to the windows, it starts about an inch above the grass (the steps that is) and towards the corner of the "patio" its about a foot tall above the grass.

I was going to put in my additional patio equal to that foot portion... and it would be level below the windows with the existing one.

my plan:

I was going to get the border i was planning on adding to the existing one, map it out , dig up the grass in the area, then level out the dirt and shit to the same level, then along the border, put up some wood (boards thick enough to hold the concrete up, with supports ofcourse) and then mix the concrete, and fill in the space. seems easy enough to me.

I know there is some shit im probally not thinking about, so anyone done shit like this? any recommendations? lets hear it. stay positive and on track, thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Papa Boner

i dunno, if its a raised patio (deck) you might want to go with wood.

you won't have to tear up the grass, and it will look better too.

i thought about doing it with wood, but I kinda want to do the concrete.

we got a basketball pole back there, no goal anymore, but i know my brother would like a mini court back there, as would I for the most part...

but yea, i think my plans pretty good so far, still have to run the plans by moms and all, but i think its doable.

keep the suggestions coming.

another thing, whats the process suppost to go like as far as putting in the concrete goes:

onesecondple said something about laying gravel first, then fine sand, then the concrete on top...

say you have the border of the patio mapped out and put up in place, ready for the concrete or whatever material you need to pour in there, what steps would you take from there?

would you do like he said, lay a lil gravel, then the fine sand, then the concrete?

or would you mix all that up in the mixer, and that one formulated conrete mix just be poured into the patio shape? then smooth it out, make it level, and let it set?

also, how would i get a smooth surface on top, not smooth as in slippery, but smooth as in not all bumpy and fucked up like rocks and shit exposed, so i guess in a way smooth but not so slippery...?

hardware stores usually sell little sqaure slabs of concrete or stone...it would probably be easier to get a bunch of those and lay them down on a nice level surface of fine compacted gravel instead of trying to get a nice level surface of concrete. another thing to think about is the expanding and contracting that the concrete's going to be doing, you don't want to spend all that time on that then have it turn to shit in a few years.

Originally posted by Mr Rad Pants

instead of trying to get a nice level surface of concrete.

ok... lemme explain something... see... a large component of concrete and/or cement is water...

water "seeks it's own level"... as long as you use a decent mixture ratio (read not too much water) then the cement/concrete will also seek it's own level...

it's trickier to pour a ramp than it is to pour a slab... though he seems to have a ramp included in the plan...

instead of trying to get a nice level surface of concrete.

damn, that is so stupid that my first reply made me even forget the process... you build the forms, and level them before you even pour so you can use a 2x12 (or fancy guys have squeegees on poles) to ride the forms ald skim off the extra...

argh!

Originally posted by Smart

ok... lemme explain something... see... a large component of concrete and/or cement is water...

water "seeks it's own level"... as long as you use a decent mixture ratio (read not too much water) then the cement/concrete will also seek it's own level...

it's trickier to pour a ramp than it is to pour a slab... though he seems to have a ramp included in the plan...

it will have a relative level, but not a comfortable walkin on level. Since it is much thicker than water, it will still have "waves" in it, so leveling it off is a must. The ramp wont be as hard as you think because if you cut some angled wood and just poor the concrete in it, it will stay to the form and then you can just level it off. Good luck man

Oh and.. yes, you pour in sections... you cut holes midway through the inner forms about evey foot and a half and stick Re-Bar anchors through the holes...

Build your outer forms at least 1" higher than your inner... not sure of the optimim depth but I bet there is one, maybe 2"...

Pour 4 or 6 sections of concrete, I dunno exactly, or didn't bother with, the dimensions... then after that sets a little, not solid by anymeans but pretty tacky, rip out the inner forms and pour another inch or two of solid cement over the top...

hardware stores usually sell little sqaure slabs of concrete or stone...it would probably be easier to get a bunch of those and lay them down on a nice level surface of fine compacted gravel instead of trying to get a nice level surface of concrete. another thing to think about is the expanding and contracting that the concrete's going to be doing, you don't want to spend all that time on that then have it turn to shit in a few years.

agreed. this is prolly the best option.

also, considering there's all grass and shit around, youre gonna get cracks in a year or two where the grass grows through the concrete..go ahead laugh but it CAN and WILL happen.

if your gonna lay concrete, buy the good pre mixed shit... if you havent made plenty of mixes from scratch before, its fucking hard to get it right. make sure you dig a few inches deep and give yourself a base to lay the rest of the concrete on. dont just lay over the top gravel or dirt.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

also, how would i get a smooth surface on top, not smooth as in slippery, but smooth as in not all bumpy and fucked up like rocks and shit exposed, so i guess in a way smooth but not so slippery...?

throwing rock salt on the semi dried smooth concrete makes a nice surface

once the concrete dries and you wash off the surface

the rock salt will dissolve leaving small indentations

it will give you a bit more foot grip

and will dissipate heat better

UPDATEOLA

well i showed my homies at work what i was trying to do, and i think i got it down pat, shits going to be dope.

first off, i might not include the little ramp thing, i was thinking it would be good for rolling the lawn mower up on the patio for safe keeping or storage rather, or same concept for the bbq grill... ill run it by moms, but i think for now im going to just make it a slab instead...

anyways:

the guys at work said i should map out the patio i want, dig up the grass and shit underneath, get some dirt, level out the area within the form of the patio, and the concrete should be about 5-8 inches thick at most, but not less than that to prevent cracks.

once the dirt's leveled, and i have the patio's form framed out, pour the conrete, and half way when its filled in, lay down some chicken wire, or whatever that wire shits called, that helps the concrete set and hold and what not...

wont be to hard, and im really looking forward to doing this for my moms. :D well see how it goes... ill take piks of before and after my masterpiece fo shizzzle.

Archived