1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Home Renovations: Putting in a Patio

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by T=E=A=S=E, Apr 16, 2004.

1. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E 12oz Elite Member

Home Renovations: Putting in a Patio

Discussion started by T=E=A=S=E - Apr 16, 2004

whats up people. So, as some of you know, I'm an honorary mexican, haha. jk. But the construction job / A/c installation shits pretty good, going well, been there for a lil more than two weeks as of tomorrow, and today I found out we get paid every week, so im even more stoked than I previously was.

Anyways, this job gots me believing more in myself, and Ive felt the urge to build something on my own, and then I recalled that my moms always wanted a concrete patio in the backyard.

I was giving it some thought while i was at work, and I think I could do it if I plan well.

here is a shitty diagram of the backyard layout...:

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/fuckfuckfuck/patio.jpg'>

the "patio" that we have right now, is just a small square, part of the house foundation. it has 3 steps leading down into the grass. on both sides by the way. on the side parrellel to the windows, it starts about an inch above the grass (the steps that is) and towards the corner of the "patio" its about a foot tall above the grass.

I was going to put in my additional patio equal to that foot portion... and it would be level below the windows with the existing one.

my plan:

I was going to get the border i was planning on adding to the existing one, map it out , dig up the grass in the area, then level out the dirt and shit to the same level, then along the border, put up some wood (boards thick enough to hold the concrete up, with supports ofcourse) and then mix the concrete, and fill in the space. seems easy enough to me.

I know there is some shit im probally not thinking about, so anyone done shit like this? any recommendations? lets hear it. stay positive and on track, thanks.

T=E=A=S=E - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

Overtime - Replied Apr 16, 2004

ive done it, came out pretty well, just plan well and make sure all is level and all

Overtime - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. trampled

trampled 12oz Junior Member

trampled - Replied Apr 16, 2004

i dunno, if its a raised patio (deck) you might want to go with wood.

you won't have to tear up the grass, and it will look better too.

trampled - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  4. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Smart - Replied Apr 16, 2004

that's alot of square yards and you're shooting for a pretty clean surface so, rent a mixer, don't try to mix it with shovel or something....

Smart - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

can't play BBall on a deck man...

6. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Apr 16, 2004

the nba play on wood

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. Overtime

yes, a mixer of course, but im tellin ya (literally, right now on aim)its gotta be in sections if the patio is that huge...

8. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E - Replied Apr 16, 2004

i thought about doing it with wood, but I kinda want to do the concrete.

we got a basketball pole back there, no goal anymore, but i know my brother would like a mini court back there, as would I for the most part...

but yea, i think my plans pretty good so far, still have to run the plans by moms and all, but i think its doable.

keep the suggestions coming.

9. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E - Replied Apr 16, 2004

another thing, whats the process suppost to go like as far as putting in the concrete goes:

onesecondple said something about laying gravel first, then fine sand, then the concrete on top...

say you have the border of the patio mapped out and put up in place, ready for the concrete or whatever material you need to pour in there, what steps would you take from there?

would you do like he said, lay a lil gravel, then the fine sand, then the concrete?

or would you mix all that up in the mixer, and that one formulated conrete mix just be poured into the patio shape? then smooth it out, make it level, and let it set?

also, how would i get a smooth surface on top, not smooth as in slippery, but smooth as in not all bumpy and fucked up like rocks and shit exposed, so i guess in a way smooth but not so slippery...?

10. Mr Rad Pants

Mr Rad Pants 12oz Member

Mr Rad Pants - Replied Apr 16, 2004

hardware stores usually sell little sqaure slabs of concrete or stone...it would probably be easier to get a bunch of those and lay them down on a nice level surface of fine compacted gravel instead of trying to get a nice level surface of concrete. another thing to think about is the expanding and contracting that the concrete's going to be doing, you don't want to spend all that time on that then have it turn to shit in a few years.

Mr Rad Pants - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  11. Overtime

not sand, but smaller gravel, pee gravel

12. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

ok... lemme explain something... see... a large component of concrete and/or cement is water...

water "seeks it's own level"... as long as you use a decent mixture ratio (read not too much water) then the cement/concrete will also seek it's own level...

it's trickier to pour a ramp than it is to pour a slab... though he seems to have a ramp included in the plan...

13. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

damn, that is so stupid that my first reply made me even forget the process... you build the forms, and level them before you even pour so you can use a 2x12 (or fancy guys have squeegees on poles) to ride the forms ald skim off the extra...

argh!

14. Overtime

it will have a relative level, but not a comfortable walkin on level. Since it is much thicker than water, it will still have "waves" in it, so leveling it off is a must. The ramp wont be as hard as you think because if you cut some angled wood and just poor the concrete in it, it will stay to the form and then you can just level it off. Good luck man

15. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Oh and.. yes, you pour in sections... you cut holes midway through the inner forms about evey foot and a half and stick Re-Bar anchors through the holes...

Build your outer forms at least 1" higher than your inner... not sure of the optimim depth but I bet there is one, maybe 2"...

Pour 4 or 6 sections of concrete, I dunno exactly, or didn't bother with, the dimensions... then after that sets a little, not solid by anymeans but pretty tacky, rip out the inner forms and pour another inch or two of solid cement over the top...