Holy Fucking Shit!

ODS-1

# The A380 is 15 metres wider, 4 metres taller, 2 metres longer and 118 tonnes heavier than the Boeing 747 jumbo, which has reigned as the largest airliner for four decades.

# The A380 looks like a 747 jumbo with the upper deck stretched all the way back to the tail.

# The Airbus double-decker is the length of eight London buses and has enough room on its massive wings to park 70 cars.

# The A380 will seat 555 passengers in first class, business and economy cabins. A 747 laid out the same way seats 416.

# An all-economy class A380 could seat 853 passengers versus 568 for a 747.

# Cocktail bars, billiard rooms, showers, libraries and sleeping quarters for staff tucked under the floorboards are among the novel ways airlines could use the A380's space.

# A wingspan of 79.8 metres (261 ft 10 in) means the A380 is too large for most airport docking bays. UK airport operator BAA Plc alone has budgeted 450 million pounds ($842 million) to build larger facilities to handle the planes.

# At take-off, the A380's four Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines will generate as much thrust as 3,500 cars. An alliance between GE and Pratt & Whitney is also building engines.

# The A380 has 16 passenger doors and escape slides on both decks, with the upper slides standing 8 metres high.

# Some 14 customers have committed to 149 A380s so far. Customers include 11 passenger airlines, two parcel delivery firms and one aircraft lessor. Dubai-based airline Emirates will have the largest A380 fleet with 45.

# Customers expect at least a 15 percent improvement in costs per seat-mile versus the 747-400.

# The A380 lists for about $260 million each, versus about $210 million for the smaller Boeing 747-400. Both firms usually give discounts.

# Singapore Airlines will fly the plane first and is scheduled to take delivery in the first quarter of 2006. + The A380 will be most common on long routes linking Asia and the Middle East to Europe and the United States. Flights to and from Australia are also expected to be a key market.

# Airports gearing up for the plane include London's Heathrow, New York's John F. Kennedy International, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Frankfurt.

# For sheer size, the A380 is larger than almost any plane ever built. Howard Hughes' ill-fated Spruce Goose flying boat, which flew once in 1947 and was designed to carry 750 troops, had a wider wingspan to incorporate its eight engines but was shorter than the A380.

# The A380 is topped in size by the six-engine Antonov An-225 Mriya cargo plane, of which only two have been built. Designed to carry space shuttles for the former Soviet Union, the An-225 is 11 metres longer and 8 metres wider but not as tall as the A380.

This many people flying through the air inside of only one airplane just doesn't register with me.

This is the only not computer generated picture of it that I could find.

story.exterior2.ap.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The international airport here in Melbourne just announced they'll be using them to fly from Melbourne to L.A. They're also going to spend a shitload of money on widening the runways so they can actually fit the planes on there.

I deal with the smaller airbuses, A320's, through work and those things are pretty big when you stand right next to them. The diameter of one engine on these new babies is bigger than an A320. Holy shit.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 10:35 PM

Twice the amount of environmental pollution as a regular airplane.

Doubtful. Lower cost per mile means it uses less fuel per passenger mile. The added capacity also means fewer flights in the first place, as airlines will be able to further consolidate their riders into one plane (ever booked a flight one one airline to find out that it's "serviced by" another?).

Originally posted by Nekro+Jan 20 2005, 03:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nekro - Jan 20 2005, 03:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 10:35 PM

Twice the amount of environmental pollution as a regular airplane.

Doubtful. Lower cost per mile means it uses less fuel per passenger mile. The added capacity also means fewer flights in the first place, as airlines will be able to further consolidate their riders into one plane (ever booked a flight one one airline to find out that it's "serviced by" another?).

[/b]

Maybe, but the amount of gas burnt is partly dependent on the weight of what the engine is pushing. Either way, planes are still pretty much the worst of vehichles for the environment.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 11:02 PM

Either way, planes are still pretty much the worst of vehichles for the environment.

Are you fucking kidding me? American-made SUVS are the worst vehicles for the environment for a multitude of reasons.

Do airplanes require large amounts of wilderness be paved?

Do airplane passengers and pilots litter?

Do airplanes move one person at a time and get 15mpg?

Ideally, we would pretty much abolish the suburbs, establish subway systems in all our cities and have a system of magnetic levitation trains connecting nearby cities and jet service to far away ones. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Originally posted by Nekro+Jan 19 2005, 08:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nekro - Jan 19 2005, 08:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 11:02 PM

Either way, planes are still pretty much the worst of vehichles for the environment.

Are you fucking kidding me? American-made SUVS are the worst vehicles for the environment for a multitude of reasons.

Ideally, we would pretty much abolish the suburbs, establish subway systems in all our cities and have a system of magnetic levitation trains connecting nearby cities and jet service to far away ones. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen any time soon.

[/b]

im sorry, i might be alittle too drunk for this conversation.

but uh, how do SUV's require wilderness to be paved? I'm pretty sure they fit on the roads we already have in place.. I mean, I've seen them there.. this might just be the beer talking though.

And what the FUCK do passangers of SUV's littering have to do with airplane passangers. the SUV passanger littering is a stand alone problem that has nothing to do with an SUV. if people that litter while driving an SUV didn't have an SUV they would still litter, it would just be out of a Geo Metro or while they are walking.

airplanes burn a lot of fucking fuel. i don't know numbers compared to SUV's, but they still expend a lot of fuel.

i am seeing double,

Originally posted by Nekro+Jan 20 2005, 04:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nekro - Jan 20 2005, 04:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 11:02 PM

[/b]

Airlines require quite a bit of wilderness paved and flattened to allow for them to land. They are also produce quite a bit more noise pollution then an SUV does.

Airline passangers and pilots do litter, though not while in a plane.

Some airplanes do move one person at a time, but since we're discussing jumbo jets in particular, I'll say no.

I just recently read a statistic, that unfortunatly I can't for the life of me dig up right now, that claimed one jumbo jet flight across the ocean is the equivalent to 20,000 cars travelling at rush hour. Maybe not 20,000, but somewhere in at least the tens of thousands, I can't particularly remember. An big airplane runs on a hell of a lot more full than an SUV and if you'll notice, they get refueled after every flight. SUV's are definitly wasteful and obnoxious and 90 percent of the time belong to people with no practical use for them, but that doesn't mean that airplanes can't share the blame. So no, I'm not -fucking- kidding you.

Either way, I'd be much more excited about someone creating a jumbo jet that runs on an efficient fuel source than I am about this.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars+Jan 20 2005, 05:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iloveboxcars - Jan 20 2005, 05:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Nekro@Jan 19 2005, 08:24 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 11:02 PM

but uh, how do SUV's require wilderness to be paved? I'm pretty sure they fit on the roads we already have in place.. I mean, I've seen them there.. this might just be the beer talking though.

And what the FUCK do passangers of SUV's littering have to do with airplane passangers. the SUV passanger littering is a stand alone problem that has nothing to do with an SUV. if people that litter while driving an SUV didn't have an SUV they would still litter, it would just be out of a Geo Metro or while they are walking.

airplanes burn a lot of fucking fuel. i don't know numbers compared to SUV's, but they still expend a lot of fuel.

i am seeing double,

[/b]

-any road a car drives on required wilderness be paved.

-it would seem logical that airplanes all be made to get the best mileage possible, considering no airline wants to waste excess money on fuel. so while they may expend a lot of fuel, it might be out of necessity rather than at the expense of other 'features.' i dunno though

btw i'm drunk tooo :D

yeah, i saw this in the newspaper, this thing is fuckin amazing, 555-800 passengers, 10 farther than the 747, better fuel efficiancy, fucking amazing plane

boeng is suppesed to come out with a 7e7 which im not sure much about it, but i believe its due late this year or early next, not sure....

Originally posted by random+Jan 20 2005, 03:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (random - Jan 20 2005, 03:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by iloveboxcars@Jan 20 2005, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by Nekro@Jan 19 2005, 08:24 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Jan 19 2005, 11:02 PM

i am seeing double,

-any road a car drives on required wilderness be paved.

-it would seem logical that airplanes all be made to get the best mileage possible, considering no airline wants to waste excess money on fuel. so while they may expend a lot of fuel, it might be out of necessity rather than at the expense of other 'features.' i dunno though

btw i'm drunk tooo :D

[/b]

i dont know, i kind of agree on both sides here

-the road situation isnt really an argument because roads are paved for everyting, regardlesss of what they had to knock down

-its might have been better to say that during trips in a car, littering is much more possible, where as in a plane, its a lot less likely

-suv's are a terrible thing though, i will agree with that. and i tthink that they are a fuckin ton less efficiant than airplanes, simply because they arent needed. Do you realy need a hummer gettin 12mpg or less to drive to the grocery store and let your kids watch tv? do you really need a car that has a huge amounts of horsepower and four wheel drive to drive around town? the answer would be no, suv's are pointless, you need that much room, get a van, you need to go offroad, get a truck and actually use it, suv's are a fad that people are on right now. they dont care about how pointless and gas guzzling they are, they just hope they look good in them. I wont ever buy and suv, and think that people who do are retards....but thats just my "i just woke up opinion"