Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account.

Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by KaBar, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Baxte Stockman

Baxte Stockman New Jack

2. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

I haven't been on here in quite a while, it looks like the traffic has slowed to a stop. I just wanted to remind everyone that the annual Amory Railroad Festival is coming up on April 12--15, 2018, in Amory, Mississippi. Many tramps consider Amory to be the "spring opener" of the riding season. (The "closer" is usually considered to be the Arizona Combat Rail Fans' New Years Eve party at Shawmut Siding in Arizona. Bring your own booze. Bring your own *everything* it's twelve miles out in the desert from the nearest town. Don't forget EAR PLUGS, because ACRF blows up enough fireworks on New Years' Eve to re-enact the Battle of Stalingrad.)

Anyway, back to Amory. Amory was a huge railroad town back in the day. The city's main park is right on the tracks. It's called Frisco Park. They have a huge steam locomotive on display in the park. Years ago there was a large jungle there (one year I went there were like 50 tramps) during the festival, but last year there were only 10. The town itself is a dry town in a dry county. No alcohol. Lots of food, though--there are tons of food booths, a carnival, live music and a bunch of cool people. Amory has a big railroad museum,. too. There are permanent restrooms about half a block from the "jungle." It's possible to ride a train in, but you would have to be very, very slick. Much better at night.

The last leg of the catch to Amory is at Tupelo, and if the train doesn't stop at Amory, the next stop is at Birmingham or Mobile, Alabama; or Pensacola, Florida. We used to ride a train to Tupelo and then hitch to Amory. We rode the CN from Memphis to Fulton, KY, then switched to the short-line Tennessee RR north to Corinth, MS; then south to Tupelo. There are trains directly from Memphis to Amory on BNSF, but they don't always stop. You might wind up in Pensacola. The catch out in Memphis is under the Union Street bridge east of S. Hollywood Street. The bulls watch it, so keep it stealth.

simon sandleshit likes this.
  3. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

I've talked to a number of people who normally frequent the National Hobo Convention at Britt, Iowa every August who say they are definitely going to be at Amory this year. ( The NHC is held every August during the second full weekend. This year the "second full weekend in August" will be August 9-12, 2018, but people start straggling in about a week early.)

April in Mississippi is pretty warm, so if you go, be prepared for hot weather. I got sunburned last year, wearing shorts and a t-shirt and running shoes with no socks.

The NHC in Britt is designed to at least partially support those tramps who are truly broke, but Amory is not a "hobo" event, it's a railroad festival at which we just happen to show up. They do cut us some breaks, like free camping and public restrooms close by, and they let us park vans in the city parking lot south of Frisco Park, but that's about it. As usual, if you come you need to be prepared to support yourself. There are lots of churches involved in selling food though, and in times past we did score some awesome free chow, but it's not a sure thing.

Showers are hard to come by, but there is an exterior spigot on the outside of the public restrooms. A piece of water hose and a "shower head" type of sprayer on the end would make getting a shower pretty easy.

MetroSOG likes this.
  4. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

Currently in Salina KS with every intention on hitting Amory but you know, you plan and god laughs. My '08 CCG still has valid info at least as far as Salinas goes. I never flew a sign til this unplanned life excursion but i tell you what, where have you been all my life?

5. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

6. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

7. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

8. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

9. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

10. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

11. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

12. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

13. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

peterpopoff--Those are photos of two of my favorite people in the world----Stretch Wilson, Burlington Dog and Tattoo Slim. Slim was up at Amory earlier this April, with a buddy of his named Zig-Zag. I gave them a ride from Tupelo to Amory, and when the festival was cancelled because of a big-ass thunderstorm with tornado warnings, I gave them a ride back up to Tupelo and dropped them off at the Farmer's Market right down the tracks from the catch-out.

We had eleven tramps down at Amory this year. It's too bad the city cancelled it, but I understood. Amory doesn't have enough tornado shelters to shelter 10,000 tourists, so they pulled the plug. After dropping Slim and Zig-Zag off in Tupelo, I headed west to Texas to get out of the weather. I put 3,250 miles on my van in March and April. It's been a lot of fun, but I need to stay in one spot for a while and recuperate financially. I'm trying to get some exercise, eat right and live healthy. More salads, less tequila.

14. peterpopoff

peterpopoff Member

Kabar- John I met around 2009 thru Gerard. When John would winter in southern az. I would always meet him every year and hang out in the yard every chance I could when he was here. A stand up guy he was. With a ton of great stories!

15. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Just checking in. I'm up in Maryland, but the weather is still pretty warm--it hit 90 degrees today. I think I'll head over to the coast. It should be cooler, I hope. Ride safe!