Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by KaBar, Oct 13, 2001.

1. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

@KaBar2 I can only imagine how liberating throwing those shackles must be.

I've had many Sally meals and beds over the course of a lifetime. They are a decent outfit as far as charity goes. Can't knock another man's hustle so i get they have to live too. There's not a whole lot of help for men out there. The Sally in Springfield, IL made us get food stamps and 'donate' them, the prices on the shit they sell is set in stone. I don't see why donated items' prices are non negotiable but whatever.

I've said since the second night I stayed there that if I ever got to a point where I could, I'd happily give the Medford Gospel Mission a grip of funds. They did more for me out on the road than the rest combined. I rolled into Medford with 8 cents, 2 packs of cigarettes, a friend and a road pack. They put us up in a clean bed, good shower, food that I would have paid full price for, and didn't judge. When I got a gig cleaning a candy factory, they'd flex the hours so I could come in after hours and let me sleep during the normal "out hours". Since I had a job, the policy of only staying 21 days didn't apply so in 2 moths I had enough saved up to head out again in style.

Peoria, IL is a bum's paradise. Not much for work but The Safety Net will let you stay as long as you want, the Gospel mission takes you to the breakfast buffet on Sunday if you don't mind going to a rich church and put on display as proof of their good works, 5 hot meals a day if you plan your route just right and easy grainers leaving all times day and night from ADM.

The Galesburg Gospel Mission and Women's Shelter in Galesburg, Iisn't a bad place to rest up for a night but they really don't want you to leave. Decent meal, comfortable beds, clean and a short walk from the BNSF yard. Hang out for a couple days and they will hook you up with close to new clothes. Volunteer to unload donations and make a quick $5. enough for 2 pouches of Tin Star tobacco and a pack of papers.

The Jacksonville Beach mission is awesome. No beds but more food than you can eat, free laundry and hygene supplies. Fuck all the downtown missions. No services, lice and bed bug infested shitholes. The YMCA offers day pass trials almost indefinitely for showers and free coffee. The jungle on the St. John River by CSX HQ is nice. Dude manning the drawbridge is an asshole and will call the cops on you but it's easy enough to avoid him. Lots of bamboo and a few shelters only needing a tarp to throw over the frame and the day labor trucks drive around begging for people to work. $100 a day easy.

It's been said "Nashville was the roughest but I know I've said the same about them all". Nashville was the roughest. They've heard every hard luck story since the Depression and they don't care about you at all. Move along.

2. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

That's right. I just went YELP on various homeless shelters.

St. Louis missions all suck. cool town and you're better off outdoors. The New Life Evangelic Center should be condemned, over capacity and staff is more likely to rip you off than anyone. Larry Rice is a con artist and there is a special place in hell for him.

Harbour Light is OK if you can survive the trip to get there. Sketchy neighborhood even by my standards. Not far from the Rose Lake yard but cameras everywhere.

The Sacramento Gospel Mission looks like a max security prison. Fenced and razor wired to hell. Getting to it is a scene from a zombie flick. Didn't even get to the sign in before saying no thanks. Not sure if Loaves and Fishes is still running. They had got sued for feeding too many people. It was an open air homeless yard sale. Anything you needed for the road was for sale. Packs, camp cookware, showers, crack. Anything you want

3. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

I'm getting closer to being free of this bullshit every day. I signed a contract with a real estate broker the other day, and I have been clearing shit out of the house for a couple of weeks. I'm on my SECOND 30-cubic-yard dumpster, if you can believe that. The guys at the Sally Ann thrift store and Goodwill 's donation site know me on sight, LOL. I won't bore you guys with a recitation of all the shit I've been through, but it has been the biggest hassle of my life, getting rid of twenty-five years' of accumulated crap. NEVER AGAIN, I swear it by all that is holy. I will never again own property and I will never again accumulate a bunch of junk.

The way to deal with this is DON'T DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Ten times a day I think, "The fuck was I thinking?"

4. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

If its not too late... If you've got any old cans of spray paint, some of us collect/sell that garbage

5. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Fist666--Sorry, no spray paint. I turned six half-used-up buckets of interior house paint over to the City of Houston hazardous chemicals recycling people though. I don't like to put chemicals in the dump, the less pollution, the better.

6. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

No worries. And I agree. Graffiti is just inherently bad for the environment, not sure I've fully come to terms with that in terms of hypocrisy, but oh well.

7. El Jefe Uno

El Jefe Uno Dirty Dozen Crew

Congrats on the retirement, KaBar. I remember reading this thread when you were still counting down by years, haha.

8. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

True. My wife and I used to joke that we "took our retirement years when we were young enough to enjoy them" by being adventurous and footloose when we were in our twenties. Life is definitely too short. The problem is that if you don't go to college or trade school or complete some sort of higher education when you are young, it negatively impacts your older adult years economically. I've said on here several times before: "Being poor is a big adventure when you're young, but being poor when you are old sucks bigtime." You only have so many years to earn money. I started working when I was sixteen, as a busboy in a Chinese restaurant, but I didn't get my first "real" job until I graduated from high school and went to work as an orderly in a hospital. (Hospitals don't have "orderlies" anymore. Back then, in the 1960's, nurses didn't do as much heavy lifting, they had young, strong orderlies and nurse's aides to do most of that.)

I could have kept working, but I was burned out, kind of at the end of my rope. Sixty-six is too old to be doing the kind of nursing I was doing. Adolescent psych nursing is more of a young person's profession. Psychiatric staff members sort of play roles within the unit. As I got older and older, my role went from being the +"no-nonsense charge nurse" to being a grandfather figure, which was okay with me. Enforcing the unit rules was a pain in the ass and I got real tired of having to be "The Boss."

I'm getting close to being free. I got a buyer on our house, the contract is signed, we're just waiting on the title company to finish closing. Once the house is done, I'm out of here. I have no furniture in the house but a card table, a straight-back chair and a bed on the floor. I'm hoboing in my living room, ha ha. It won't be long before I'm able to travel.

9. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

Good on ya brother. As a man of my word, I said what I meant and meant what I said. My spot is a rest area on the road and would be honored to meet you.

You got me thinking. I look in my closet and I couldn't fit another t shirt in there when not so long ago I got superstitious about owning 7 changes of clothes. It would be such a pain in the ass to get rid of that nevermind owning property.

I was a firm believer in don't own more than you carry on your back for 3 miles because sooner or later you are going to have to. My bug out bag drives my wife crazy.

Get at me.

10. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

and if you have a chance to see Long Gone, awesome hobo documentary.

11. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Of the people featured in that clip, I knew Dog Man and New York Slim. I met New York Slim up at the National Hobo Convention one year. He had a little bitty dog that he called "Stewpot." Dog Man Tony was one of the original Boxcar Boys Ranch tramps. The "Ranch" was a house in Staples, Minnesota. It's still there but I don't think anybody is residing there at present. All of the original BBR tramps have passed away except for King Frog, Tuck and Dante Fuchwha. Preacher Steve, Space Man John, Shot Down Wills, Eight-Ball, Dog Man and several more that don't spring to mind are gone. Steve and Space Man pooled their money to buy the Ranch and all their brother tramps contributed to the operating expenses. They wintered there in Staples, on the High Line, for a lot of years. Dog Man was a hard case when he was young, but when he got older he retired from the rails. Those guys were not snowbirds. They rode the High Line winter and summer, and it is cold as a motherfucker in the winter. They lived a hard life--no quarter, no surrender.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  12. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

I need one of them kick ass hobo names. Bask just doesn't cut it. Even their dogs have better names.

13. davechester

davechester New Jack

Yo Xen,
    You probably been asked nuff time's before but do you know where the hell i can watch long gone online? Been waiting to see that for a long time but can only find the trailor.
    Btw you ever checked railroad semantics zine by Aaron Dactyl? I just got the box set of 4 issues for £10.00...pretty sweet deal i thought.

14. xen

xen Dirty Dozen Crew

@davechester
    I can't find i streaming anywhere and don't know how to do it. Sorry.
    I will look for railroad semantics.

15. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Just checking in. I'm in Maryland, close to Washington, D.C. It's cold, about 30 degrees today. Y'all stay warm.

xen and morton like this.