HIV comes to sesame street

T.T Boy

HIV comes to Sesame Street

Last Updated 2002-07-13

Arts Now

An HIV-infected Muppet will be added to the South African version of Sesame Street this fall.

In an interview with the Washington Post, the vice president of New York-based Sesame Workshop said the South African character will likely will be a 5-year-old female "monster Muppet" along the lines of Grover or Elmo.

"We know that she'll be lively, alert, friendly, outgoing and HIV-positive," Joel Schneider told the Post from Barcelona, where he announced the character Thursday at the 14th International AIDS Conference. "She'll be healthy, not sickly."

HIV or human immunodeficiency virus is the virus that can lead to AIDS. With more than 4 million people afflicted, South Africa has more HIV-infected people than any other country.

Schneider said the character would help de-stigmatize the disease for the show's young viewers. "We want to show children that it's okay to touch [an HIV-positive person], okay to hug, that a person can still be a constructive part of the community," he said.

www.cbc.ca

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Why is that so wrong? Hopefully it will help to get rid of some of the misconceptions of people with HIV.....

Kudos South Africa....

agreed. especially since a lot of the population over there has aids. it'll help little kids understand that they should treat all kids with respect. even if they've got hiv.

props.

yeah i just heard that on the news. i would have thought they would have it in an older persons cartoon really. rather than seaseme street. for me thats just too young. I dont think they would even under stand.

Originally posted by willy.wonka

thats just horrible.

"man has programmed my conditioning...even my conditioning has been conditioned."

Iwas reading an article on how coca cola is huge down there, they employ a lot of south africans. It would cost them less than 1 % of their profits down there to insure and treat all their employees with aids but they refuse to do it. Who are these evil people and how do they rationalze their behavior?

when i was in amsterdam i saw this condom commercial where this dude was walkin to meet his date and he had a fuckin army of sperms marching behind him. so when he sees his date he stops and they recognize each other, and as soon as he starts to walk toward her again the sperms just knock him aside and rush the girl. right before htey mob her they hit a latex wall and fall over. then it says some shit about how hte condom is safe or some shit. its pretty classic when you see it. i just thought of that cus im stoned and there was a discussion about hiv goin on somewhere.

Originally posted by jah

when i was in amsterdam i saw this condom commercial where this dude was walkin to meet his date and he had a fuckin army of sperms marching behind him. so when he sees his date he stops and they recognize each other, and as soon as he starts to walk toward her again the sperms just knock him aside and rush the girl. right before htey mob her they hit a latex wall and fall over. then it says some shit about how hte condom is safe or some shit. its pretty classic when you see it. i just thought of that cus im stoned and there was a discussion about hiv goin on somewhere.

Going on somewhere... :lol:!

Guest Retnilps

actually Mr.Raven teaching the kids aids is ok is the best thing that can be done. then testing can be more open and people wont be shun when this generation grows up, better yet we can figure out how bad the virus really is. the cold virus was hell before it was OK to have the cold, now its not as deadly but at the same time we created the Germs are NOT OK thing and we weakened ourselves against germs. the truth is that the more people with aids are around the more testing can be done and better yet a mutation can occur where the person is immune to the virus even if they contract it or are born with it. theres already those hookers down there that dont get infected so maybe this is a step towards the right way. bigger population = more diversity.

or maybe im full of shit and dont know anything.

eh..one in nine people in south africa have aids..I think its beyond handing out safe sex pamphlets and condoms at the mall..

I wonder though..what is an aids muppet going to accomplish..I read it was to teach kids not to be afraid of HIV infected people, friends and comrads..

wait a minute here..will they show this aids muppet die? Muppets never die..How far is it going to go for kids who watch the show?

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Misteraven

What they should do is develope a condom muppet that goes around covering up all the other muppets so that they teach these kids to wrap their shit instead of trying to teach them that aids is OK. Once again they miss the bigger picture.

Jim henson, rollin' in his grave.

Archived