History, Lesson 1

Kreature

Hey I was just wondering about the history of graffiti, like how and where it first started to show its' face and who the pioneer artists were. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable people on these boards could shed some light on this subject.

Thanks, and

PEACE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm not sure of the exact history but graff in its raw definition is writing on walls and that started in roman times with political writings on the streets of rome if your talking about modern graff look to la in the 40's 50's with the cholo writings on the la river and whatnot and also early painting in philly and nyc of the subway tunnels and trains thats very basic but if you go to artcrimes they have a great list of graff books and lots of info on graff there. there is much to be learned about this beast of an art form we fight with, take your time and read up on the history it makes graff more rewarding..:loopy:

or perhaps you could do some reasearch more extensive than to post a topic and ask to be hand fed the relivant info... no offense man, but put in some work. when i first started writing, i went to the library and looked for every book i could on graff. after suffering through several terribly cheesy documentaries on hip hop, i started to get the picture. dont expect the internet to teach you about a culture that was created in the streets. its not going to work like that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IDOL HANDS

graffitti began on a hot block on mars shortly after the jupiter riots. it spread quickly, like a virus some say to neighboring galaxies such as the oblonga nubulus via dissident spores. this made way for a wide array of avenues for the science, one varying degree of which we experience in our present space + time. more local scenes have erupted even further from the nucleus. one such riotous scene is still slightly visible in the northeastern corridor of continent a1 on the planet earth, a scene dating back to palozoic times. rock,....rock on.

get some fucking books. read them. they'll do a better job than anybody on here. Most of the knowledgable people would just be spitting back what they read anyway (at least about the early-early stuff.) Try the documentary Style Wars and for books try Phase2's occasionally bizarre, but thouroughly interesting Style: Writing from the Underground, Espo's The Art of Getting Over, Spraycan Art and the grandaddy of 'em all Subway Art. And then poke around some more because that's an incomplete picture at best.

And thank me because you were too lazy to find out about these books on your own.

Dont believe what you read in the book STYLE: Writing from the Underground. Also to say that Espos Book "The Art OF Getting OVer", has alot of Graff history is very wrong(although it is a good book for someone unfamiliar with the graffiti culture itself). The best representation of Graffiti history would have to be Jack Stewarts "The Faith Of Graffiti". Its a bit hard to find, but sometimes its on ebay. It was his desertation(think that is how you spell that lol) that he had to do for college, and he did it on Subway Graffiti and was later turned into a book. It was made around 1973 and has ALOT of true accurate history. Also the book "Getting Up" has some good history in it. Subway Art is decent, but left alot of people out that was doing stuff, and has alot of favoratism in there. None the less though, its a good insight as to what was going on. Style Wars the video is also a excellent documentary of what was going on back in the early 80s

Archived