HipHop University

etc.com

Here in Chicago we have a hip hop university, which is pretty much a building where graf is displayed and events are done for all people-

What do people from Chicago think about this place? if you have had the chance to visit it. Also I would like to know if other states have places like this one?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Fuck a Hip Hop University... it's all about the IN-N-OUT UNIVERSITY right here in sunny California!! In case all you unfortunante people don't have In-N-Out in your city, it's an inexpensive place where the make the juicest burgers in the world (with all natural ingredients)! Now you can go to IN-N-OUT UNIVERSITY and learn how to flip burgers!!

NEW YORK USE TO HAVE THE PHUN FACTORY (QUEENS)WHICH WOULD ALLOW PEOPLE TO PAINT LEGALLY. AND IT HAD SOME SHIT GOIN ON INSIDE WITH SKATING AND DJING. I THINK RECENTLY IT FELL OFF AND NO LONGER IS HAPPENING. ALOT OF NEW YORKERS USE TO HATE ON THE GUY WHO RAN IT AND THE POLITICS THAT CAME WITH IT ... FUCK IT... I THOUGHT IT WAS KOOL.

Originally posted by Secret

Fuck a Hip Hop University... it's all about the IN-N-OUT UNIVERSITY right here in sunny California!! In case all you unfortunante people don't have In-N-Out in your city, it's an inexpensive place where the make the juicest burgers in the world (with all natural ingredients)! Now you can go to IN-N-OUT UNIVERSITY and learn how to flip burgers!!

I didn't know you lived in CA Secret. My homie works at the In&Out University. Actually now he works with the In & Out Truck now.* Based out of the university.

Motherfuckers get some decent cash out there.

Guest defyone

well... i think that the University of HipHop has fallen off in the past 2 years.. i helped Raven out with teachin there 3 years ago, since then its gotten to laid back to really help kids learn anything about graff, or the hiphop culture. it went from being a summer camp thing for the southwest community to a place where people only really show up every once and a while, wether its for the "Breaking Practice" which is still held every sunday (only a select few tend to show up). and only when people paint the outside of the building. i dont even show up for any thing there any more, i went to the Static and Nerd show, and that was the first time i had been there in a year. So in my mind its cool that we still have the building, but at the same time, Raven and Zore dont have the time to keep it running on a regular. well thats my thoughts on it.

Originally posted by Pistol

I didn't know you lived in CA Secret. My homie works at the In&Out University. Actually now he works with the In & Out Truck now.* Based out of the university.

Motherfuckers get some decent cash out there.

Yeah, no kidding. I heard you can make 6 digits if you're one of the managers and make a career out of it? That's pretty damn good for a buger joint.

Guest HESHIANDET

we got jamba in philly roe. great shit, right around the corner from my place. secret, when you said "in and out" my mind immediately went into the gutter

i hear there is a college up in SF. maybe cal state SF, there have hip hop courses. my friend was going to take it, she says the first day you have to introduce yourself with a rap.

oh yeah, in'n'out rocks socks! all you suckas that dont know, are really missin out!

HipHop University.....

what was the turn out of this hiphop university when it first started? did a variety of races attend? was it a pay thing? (was it self sustaining) so they had their own building? how did they get this building? ild shoot an artfag in the head for a chance to go.

Guest defyone

it was a free gig... the racial situation was mostly hispanics, because it was in a prodominetly hispanic area of chicago. All though there were a few white kids, me, nuke, and this kid awae... It was a youth collaboration center, and they gave raven and a couple of other guys a large room and gave them permission to paint the inside of the room and the outside of the building, it was all government paid. so they got supplies and shit for free. well if you got any more questions on just reply and ill get at you.

man if you could send me as much info as possible. i would like to try to open up one. of course as long as all the shit is govt paid. savannah govt i believe is pretty into findin things for kids to do to keep them from crime. i dont know if enough people would show though, the locals just try to thug, the college kids might go though.

Guest defyone

well i guess the best way to go around about doin this would be, talk to city hall and tell them that you want to create a place where it gets younger kids out of the streets, and teach them the arts of hiphop. try not to mention graffiti unless they ask. and pretty much just tell them that is to keep the neighborhood kids from doing illegal things. make it a drug free environment. i guess just tel the people at city hall everything they want to hear. and you will probably get a space to do this.

ill check with raven and see what they did and ill post that up

peace, defy

Archived