Hip Hop - Pass the haterade

Guest imported_Europe

Guest imported_Europe

Hip-hop is a cartoonish wonderland with lots of bad guys, a few good guys, and a bunch of more or less lost souls in between. But ever since the adjective "bad" was turned into something positive by Shaft or whoever, the bad guys have been so much more interesting than the rest. Maybe they always were, who knows.

The truth is; there is something eternally appealing about negative things. Hip-hop archetypes like the Player, the Baller, the Gangsta, etc. are all overlapping examples of intriguing characters, be they fictive or non-fictive, which we are drawn to in some way, whether we like it or not. These characters all denote negativity. This generates a form of counter-negativity, which I - in the spirit of rap-rebel Paris - take the liberty of calling "the hate that hate made" . Of course, I'm talking about the phenomenon of playerhating. I won't over-define the term, let's just say that a playerhater is a person who hates players, plain and simple.

Personally, I'm a dedicated playerhater. I love hating players, and this pet hate has evolved from an initial observation into a mild obsession. I've stopped drinking G/T's, instead I drink Haterade like tap-water. The players, however, drink stuff like Courvoisier and Hennessy : exclusive brand name cognacs immortalised by tracks like Snoop's "Hennessy and Buddah" and Busta Rhymes' "Pass the Courvoisier" . I don't really like the taste of cognac, it makes me think of the sticky liquor inside the filled chocolates that grandparents eat. Players often do drugs as well, since some drugs stimulate and over-inflate frail egos to ridiculous proportions. Well, I don't like drugs either, they're expensive and tend to make people act and look like idiots.

Yup, I'm a hater and you can quote me on that. But it's not because the players drink cognac or do drugs, so does the average senior citizen and senior citizens have paid their dues, so who can front on their need for stimulants?

I dislike players/ballers (or whatever they want to call themselves) because they represent aspects of hip-hop, which ironically have nothing to do with hip-hop. They represent consumerism, materialism, and capitalism in its purest form.

Stop right there!

Before you think I've gone all communist on you, let me clarify: I love shopping, my brand name clothes, and my monthly paycheque, just like you probably do. The difference between me and the players is that I'm not particularly proud of it. I don't represent it, at least not in a hip-hop sense. The players do.

Player-type rappers have plot-less lyrics, and often they don't have rhyming skills. All they do is make boring videos, in which they run around with no shirts on, sporting cliché tattoos and vulgar jewellery, frantically gesturing at the camera with liquor bottles. Can someone please explain to me how a bottle of cognac (or Cristal Champagne for that matter) can contain hip-hop? Maybe someone invented a method to liquefy our culture and I didn't receive the memo, I don't know. Imagine the second coming of the four elements: Bling-Bling, Hoochies, Booze, and Rap Like Ja Rule Spits It.

Kinda makes me queasy, although some of y'all might agree with one or two parts of the equation...

The central battle aspect of hip-hop is completely warped by the big-time players. In their case, the winner of the on-going battle is basically the one who can rightfully claim the biggest bank account. Therefore, it must be concluded that in player theory, Bill Gates might be the greatest rapper of all time. Admittedly, Bill Gates can't rap but neither can MTV-proclaimed hip-hop tycoon P. Diddy , and he's doing just fine, so what do you want?

I know what this hater wants.

First, I want Bryan "Baby" Williams to shut his freakin' mouth in the latest edition of VIBE , so I don't have to look at his scary platinum, diamond-studded fronts. Are they meant to frighten small children or disgust grown women? What's the deal? Secondly, I would like some intelligence in rap, some meaning, some quirkiness, some depth, and some dope lyrics. I would like to be provoked, not bored to death by similar sounding rappers and identical videos. I'm not asking for Arrested Development to do a new album, they're most likely too busy not showering or something. Hip-hop doesn't have to be whole-grain, organic, or an attempt to heal the world for me to like it. Just give me a revolution like the one proposed in the Dead Prez track "Hip-hop" , and while you're at it, pass the Haterade, please..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Europe

Hip-hop is a cartoonish wonderland with lots of bad guys,

I would like some intelligence in rap, some meaning, some quirkiness, some depth, and some dope lyrics.

Come off it. Why care about pop so much to write all of that nonsence.

It's quite simple... the 'cartoonish hip hop world' is for kids to enjoy, the wonderland, the glitzy hollywood style that is bling bling, it's pop music; it's all about image; It sells; get over it. dont watch mtv. simple.

There has and always will be good hiphop music.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

Re: Re: Hip Hop - Pass the haterade

Originally posted by Europe

Found this, thought I would post it...

Originally posted by SKUMBALUCKAH

Come off it. Why care about pop so much to write all of that nonsence.

you're not talking about hiphop. at least thats not what i think of when someone says hiphop. thats mtv shit. dont waste your time thinking about it. then again, dont get into thinking about "real" hiphop unless you have a lot of time on your hands, cuz thats a whole nother can of worms with a whole new bunch of bullshit.

Originally posted by effyoo

Hip-Hop died when the word "Fresh" declined from popular usage.

people (by which i mean me) still say that shit, just not a whole lot hiphop is fresh nowadays.. but that makes it even better, yo. i dont msoke pot, yo!

hmmm...u just lack either knowledge or acess to good under ground hip hop...hip hop isnt about ur bling give me a break last cd i bought was burned with a paper cover as a little booklet and then cd title was writen on the cd in sharpie...u kiddin me there not tryin to come up there tryin to show the world what real hip hop is about......right now its all about omd and twomex....

Guest Uncle Wiggly

the popular 'black' music of today is not hip-hop,or rap, OR r&b...

these are all titles of good music, stolen a co-opted by a balck juggernaut designed to bleed money out of the community and gentrify the ghetto.

Guest Uncle Wiggly

I call it 'pop' because, unlike the record companies, I don't subscribe to racial marketing, and 'pop' is short for 'popular'

Archived