hinduism

seeking

jesus, the topics just dont stop with me today....

anyone hindu? anyone know a shit load about it?

i keep telling people im gonna convert to hinduism, and i dont think they believe me, but im not even kidding. so far, ive yet to find anything in it i dont agree with, wich is absolutely unheard of for me... i find faults in everything.

so.... anyone? anything?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my girl ^%$%#% is a hindi

and btw

you cannot convert (i've heard from hindis) to hindu...

it has to do with the whole reincarnation as belief system thing

and of course i may be wrong about them accepting converts

but that is how i understand it....

Guest --zeSto--

no joke... 3 threads for every arm of brahman.

Assides from all the talk in my 'world religions' class, I dont know that much.

I do know that they worship thousands of gods, can be completely backwater

at time, and that theory and practice are incredible distant.

A friend whent to India recently. Apparently living people can be 'gods' too.

That's what freaks me out. I dont think that any living person should have to deal with

a title like that. Anyways, there's one tribe who's sole purpose was to pray

to the 'gods' of Bollywood movies. The cult of celebrity taken back 4000 years.

eek!

you've watched Baraka right ?

Originally posted by Are2

my girl ^%$%#% is a hindi

and btw

you cannot convert (i've heard from hindis) to hindu...

it has to do with the whole reincarnation as belief system thing

and of course i may be wrong about them accepting converts

but that is how i understand it....

hindi is a language.

hindu is a religion.

they're not too related, except that many people that speak hindi practise hinduism.

haha, yeah, ive been told that for years... which is kind of why i specifically use the word 'convert'... its sort of a self mocking reference to the futility of the whole thing.

or something.

but realisticly, i could give a shit about actually 'converting' to anything... theres no point. i can learn, practice, understand anything they can, converted or not....

haha, and how did i know you would reply? all i need is Roo to reply as well, and it'll be a daily double. :)

Originally posted by Weapon X

hindi is a language.

hindu is a religion.

they're not too related, except that many people that speak hindi practise hinduism.

thanks for the tip

i guess my latin was fuckin me up

thinkin that hindi is plural...blablabla

Guest willy.wonka

hmmm....go for it.

im a christian that doesn't go to church.i used to have a spiritual partner and we would smoke weed and talk about how we're doing and God all the time.im just the wanderer...i walk through my land finding different experiences and sometimes i deal with them, sometimes i let them get the better half of me.i sometimes see my friends get possesed saying evil shit to me, which is pretty scary cause most of the time, after the change on me, its hard for me ot see them again or its hard for them to see me...cause i tell them things like "remember what happened here tonight."i believe things cause i have seen things...i thought i was going crazy until i met others that have the same exact experiences as i do and did.i have fought demons in front of a lrge crowd and people left my place scared and confused...hmmmm.....i deal with wierd shit and i haveonly met 4 others that know what i talk about...everybody else thinks im either stupid/crazy/ or lying....some believe though..even my own brother thinks im crazy, but he believes in the ghosts that huant our house..well, i know right from wrong..good from evil...its the choices we make that make a difference.

////////edited:eek:

well, i get caught up in talking about demons and forget to talk about the good things.all my life i have felt like the purpose is being served...i have no worries just frustrations, but those can be taken care of.all i can really say is that love and this world is a beautiful thing.i once heard a man say find your gift and you will know what ot do.

yeah, zest, it may seem wierd, but to my knowledge, no one can be a god and be living. my mom reveres certain swamis and such, and they are considered sacred, but never will you all out worship them. i don't know, though. my grandmother would often big up this dude Baba Lokenath, and he's not exactly living, but he is not that old in history. She would not exactly pray to him like one would pray to a god, but she looks to his ?soul? for guidance.

i ain't hindu myself, but I love the stories. The Bhagavhad (sp) Gita.

The Mahabarata (a wicked story), and all that good shit about the Pandava bros.

seeking, if you want some easy primers on the legends, you should check into Amar Chitra Kata comic books. sounds stupid, but they're a really fun read. My name is a translation of Arjun's name. Arjun being the master Pandava archer.

oh, and there are different types of hinduism. i see on tv malaysians or somthing piercing themselves and shit. and in some part of india, where they find the rat sacred and live and worship amongst them.

idunnoabouthat!

when I go to Calcutta, and Dawkeneshwar (sp - i'm an idiot), it's just a part of life. no biggie. a religion, that's it. Huge, splendorous temple and what not. My family doesn't worship a thousand gods. True, there are different incarnations, sometimes, of a particular god, but really, they're all one.

in total, my family prays to a few.

oh, and seeking. if you wanna check out a mad hindu celebration, there is this HUGE puja coming up dedicated to the female god Durga (power, destruction of enemies, etc.). it's the biggest celebration of the year, i believe. family and friends are all hyped up already.

Guest --zeSto--

so weapon...

the Siks (more sp) are more than just guys with giant sword stickers and the back of their Integras, and crossing guards who carry daggers?

how's that sect different? I know that there's a HUGE number of them in

the north-west part of the city.

what's the deal?

honestly... and im not sure if it stems from my own insecurities or what, but i dont care for all that pagentry and shit. i dont like bright colored mosiac designs and millions of statues... i dont like cluttered alters filled with a hunged things... i dont know... maybe its the zen buddhist in me fighting for simplicity, but i just cant see much point in it for myself. if others are into it, all good, but me? it just seems to clutter my mind more than make sense of it.

so i guess maybe i dont really want to be 'a' hindu... i dont feel any overwhelming need to know the gods names, their stories, etc. as far as im concerned, that stuff has very little to do with the 'belief' system that its all based up. maybe they cant be seperated, and by doing so, im basterdizing things, but from everything ive learned of hinduism, and one of the reasons i was initially drawn to it, is the belief that 'its all good'... if you want to worship a god, cool. if you want to worship a shoe, cool, whatever is clever... i dont know.

im sorry guys, i could change this into a topic about how i want to jerk off thinking about this girl i met at mcdonalds today... just lemme know

zesto, sikh's are not hindu's anymore than buddhists are hindus.

its an offshoot that shares, from my understanding, as much with islam as it does with hinduism.

but i could be wrong.

sikhism is the 5th largest religion in the world.

sikh's, from my experiences anyway, tend to be cool as fuck too. they always want you to give em a deal on shit, but they're nice and friendly about it.

check out www.sikhnet.com

word to i love roo

Guest --zeSto--

You know the integra thing is just a joke right?

my former college campus was 40% sikh, and the entire area was filled with them.

The guys my age were pretty cool with it.

and seeking... you also said that the whirling dirvishes were hindu. remember that?

But you are right this time.

There is only one God, he is the Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer. there's obviously a hindu influence in that.

haha, and i was partially right about the whirling dirvishes wasnt i?! ok then...

actually, that sentence is exactly 50/50 hindu, muslim. the idea of one supreme god = islam, the idea that that god is the creater, destroyer = hindu

see what happens when we work together zes? magic happens!

Guest --zeSto--

yes.. we agree.

the 'one god' is clearly muslim, but calling the trinity Creator, Sustainer, Destroyer (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva) is the Hindu influence.

and i was partially right about the whirling dirvishes wasnt i?! ok then...

check it here . you pulled the sufi connection.

i didn't read any of the above, but i must say that hinduism can be valuble philosophy in regards to Maya (illusion of the material world)...it can help you see what is really important in life and ewhat isn't. other than that, i must say that hinduism has a lot of really fucked up beliefs, for example the catse system in india is based upon hindu belief. i think that buddhism has all the posititve aspects of hinduism, but nowhere near the amount of negative associations. if i were to prescribe to some major belief system, it would be buddhism before any of the other world religions

Seeking, i was in the same position as you were in. All those religions seem very cool and neat. But i feel like I wouldnt need to get into all the worshipping and stuff. I dont think you really have to worry about being part of a religion. I take stuff from all religions and stuff from my own beleif system and i basically formed my own "religion". I think everyone would benifit from this rather than joining a religion.

Originally posted by bug

i must say that hinduism has a lot of really fucked up beliefs, for example the catse system in india is based upon hindu belief. i think that buddhism has all the posititve aspects of hinduism, but nowhere near the amount of negative associations

the caste system got basterdized all to hell... and perhaps it was a eutopian pipe dream from the start, but there is an immense amount of wisdom in the idea of the caste system.

and if you think america has any less of a caste system, your crazy. capitalism is the mother of caste systems.

buddhism and hinduism are dynamic opposits when it comes to the idea of a soul, reincarnation, etc... maybe its just my upbringing, but ive never been able to buy into the buddhist idea, no matter how hard i try.

Archived