HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BOOKS: RULE OF THE BONE: BY RUSSEL BANKS

ETHREADZNY

http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35leo1HBmUGpUq9OrI0Jk6F7fb/b9e11+HJK/+0iQQL5OOfBmlZ5NULxvHQE2DCDSVyYw='>

Editorial Reviews

From Booklist

In a voice totally authentic to its speaker, Banks narrates in first-person the sad story of a teenage boy whose aimlessness leads him to steal from his mother in order to buy pot; as a result, he is kicked out of the house. As a drifter, he's too young and inexperienced to take advantage of other people--he's taken advantage of. His need for dope and shelter drives him to consort with types even more disreputable than himself. (The thing is, he's not really so bad, he's just been kicked around too much.) He decides that tracking down his real father in Jamaica is a priority. From that experience, he gains some wisdom that just might help him over the hurdle into responsible adulthood. Banks' previous novels have been eagerly sought, and this one should prove no exception. Brad Hooper --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Book Description

When we first meet him, Chappie is a punked-out teenager living with his mother and abusive stepfather in an upstate New York trailer park. During this time, he slips into drugs and petty crime. Rejected by his parents, out of school and in trouble with the police, he claims for himself a new identity as a permanent outsider; he gets a crossed-bones tattoo on his arm, and takes the name "Bone."

He finds dangerous refuge with a group of biker-thieves, and then hides

* THIS IS THE ONLY BOOK I HAVE EVER READ MULTIPLE TIMES..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i can vouch for this one, rule of the bone is pretty cool. here's some other books you should read:

naked lunch by willian s. burroughs

catcher in the rye or nine stories by JD salinger

ham on rye by charles bukowski

ulysses by james joyce

the grapes of wrath by john steinbeck

the sun also rises by ernest hemingway

these are just a couple, there's a million more i could rattle off.

^ it seems like a hard read, however it may be up my alley, because I Just read a few articles regarding self, and self actualization and humanistic psychology. I may check it out, when I have more free time, It may be the type of book I need to read through a couple of times to fully understand. good lookin out though..

Guest ilikeskulls.

rule of the bone is a rad book....my english teacher my freshman year of high school made me read it because i didn't show enough intrest in what the class was reading so he made me read it and do a report on it.it was actully a fun report to do.

blah...

really my art teacher sent me to Mtv, because I didnt show intrest in class, but she saw the talent was there.

But anyway, the cool thing about that book, is a friend of mine went to school where the book took place, in platsburgh.. We decicided to find some of the locations. All I can say, if you are into exploring and Hiing, Plattsburgh is the place to do it..

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

^ it seems like a hard read, however it may be up my alley, because I Just read a few articles regarding self, and self actualization and humanistic psychology. I may check it out, when I have more free time, It may be the type of book I need to read through a couple of times to fully understand. good lookin out though..

It IS a hard read, but not really in its entirety... most of it goes by extremely quickly, since the guy has a magical ability for presenting tough concepts through dialogues and metaphors. There are parts however, that will kick your ass all over the place... but I kinda like it when you have to read a page a couple of times over to fully understand what's going on. It's definitely a mindblower, and will get your brain cranking. Beer,

El Mamerro

Archived