High School Question.

OK, so I have been on spring break the past week, and I have also been sick and at home, so I've had a lot of time to think about what I'm avoiding, school.

Currently I am a sophmore in a pretty good high school, second semester, last quarter of the school year. I have never done good in school at all and have never really cared either. Freshman year I got straight C's and D's, and I have failed a class this year, which I most likely be attending first semester of summer school for, unless I kissed my teachers ass well enough. It's not that big of a deal, but summer school will get my dad pissed because he wants me to be able to chouffer the little ciblings to summer camp and stuff while him and my mom work.

Anyways, my grades currently are 3 classes failing, maybe 4, and two passing, the other one missing class is resource, I'm in special education, not for a real learning disability but I am deemed hearing impared, mildy, it really doesn't affect me but last year my teachers thought having help in school might help, but I'm doing a little worse this year.

Having explained my situation, I am not here complaining about my marks, I have broght this upon myself by not paying attention, doing work, and pissing my teachers off, but I have a question for all you high school graduates, and I guess those of you who didn't complete high school as well, because I have been thinking about this a lot recently.

Question

Assume that I pass my classes with C's and D's this semester, you know, just to finish off the year without failing. And next year (junior year) I come back and put effort into school achieving above C marks.

So in the hypothetical scenario that I do well next year, and get good ACT results (my projected scores are around 26, which puts me higher in the runnings for those, which helps me a LITTLE), how do some of you think it will be getting into colleges.

Right now I have my heart set on not leaving the city, and I wanted to attend a college of arts, but this could very well change by the time I need to apply. But how hard is it to get into an Art College as opposed to a normal University or something. Added in the fact that my grades would be really sub-par freshman and sophmore year, and assuming they will rise.

Do art schools look at your portfolios more, or can you kind of talk your way into school? What is the real deal in your opinions.

I'm asking you guys because I think it nmight bring better information than biased school councelers or my teachers, parents, so on.

I have reasons I'd like to stay in the city, and I want to move out asap, but that is going to sit on the back burner, because now I'm really concerned with at least with at least getting accepted to one place in the city, that I'd like to go to.

I guess I've been on that future planning tip lately because I'm concerned with some things.

Thanks to those who respond seriously.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont be a lazy bumfuck and put some effort in for once.

grades do matter to a certain degree, and good ones can only help you. It symbolizes that you arent a bumassnigga and have work ethic.

ADVICE

Aim higher than a C average and youll get into a good school. period.

my mistake was taking all the hard classes i could and getting the requirements done so i basically have a gpa of 2.5 because of poor planning. The thing to do that most highschool kids dont is take all your required courses then take easy classes so your gpa remains above a 2.0. I tried doing calculus sophomore year and it just fucked up my whole game plan because i got a two d's. so get your required classes done then just relax and get that 3.0 or higher gpa so colleges are impressed, but also study for your SAT's, or do what im doing and go to community college route so you dont have to do sat's and you can transfer to basically whatever college you desire. enjoy highschool. Also stay in school, you dont want to end up living in Martinez in a rundown apartment with fleas. holla.

high school the is ONLY TIME GRADES MATTER! just bust your ass off in high school and get into some kind of college. almost all colleges dont care about grades, you get the diploma regardless if you have a C average or a A average.

i wish i tried harder in high school, i woulda had ALOT more options instead of the shitty ones i do now. and about the art schools, they dont give a shit about grades, most of them are desperate for students

Okay, here's the thing about art colleges:

-Art college is in no way a replacement to going to a real college. Your education ends when you graduate highschool, all the more reason to pay attention now. If you ask art teachers, they'll tell you that a few years ago, most of the student body were mid 20's early 30's people who already graduated college. It's just becoming something people go into right out of highschool.

-70% of your class will be emo.

-30-60% of your class have no future in art, and drop out.

Most art colleges look at an art portfolio/GPA. If your gpa is high enough they'll accept you without a well done portfolio. Academy Art University in SF doesn't give a shit. They figure if you've got the balls to pay for art school, you must think you have a future in it.

Next year buckle the fuck down, there's really nothing else you should be doing. Highschool parties suck anyway. Tell yourself GED's not an option.

Find something in these classes that's worth your time and that'll get you through them.

Maybe by the end I willl decide I do not want to pursue anything related to art, I just know that once it comes down to my life, I'm not going to be doing something dead-end, it's going to be something good, either that or homelessness. But yeah, I am saying I have to aim higher than a C, my GPA cannot be higher than a 3.0 by the end of highschool, it actually probably wont be much more than 2.3-5 because it's 1.7 now. But I am just really curious if I have already withdrawn myself from being able to go to a respectable school, not that it matters.

What's a non-shitty career?

Another thing to think, (well not now, hit the books and give yourself options) is what you think you're going to do with an art degree. Most kids are looking at 50-80k a year tops, for life. There are ways to get 250k; packaging, logos, think tanks..

"What's a non-shitty career?"

Something you're good at. Better than all the rest.

Without reading neither your post or anyone else's, my advice is to work hard in highschool and get good marks. I didn't, and at the time, I didn't give a fuck. I didn't know what I wanted to do, and didn't really care. Now, several years later, I've grown up, finally know what I want to do, but I have to do everything the long, hard way because I fucked around in highschool.

Be a fucking nerd, the people that make fun of you for it you won't even talk to after highchool anyway.

God I sound like a parent...

when i was in high school, I had a job, smoked weed, drank everynight, played b-ball afterschool, did mad bombin, skipped school to do drugs (herion, coke, PCP, klonopins), fucked young girls and still got all A's...

just don't be a lazy bastard, work hard and go to a real college. If your good at art, you don't need schooling, plus in a real college you can always take art clases to work on your techniques...

makes plans for grad school whether you go or not. If you want to be a lawyer, take sociology or economics etc etc, if you want an MBA, also take liberal arts. Minor in business etc etc etc

do study abroad...

thast how you get ahead...

spyd's TIPS FOR HIGHSCHOOL KIDS:

1. Don't be an asshole: being funny is all well and good, but that shit won't get you into college (unless you're a Drama major or somthing). I was a clown and now look back on it with regret
  2. Do your fuckin homework. I'm the biggest slacker and never did homework in highschool. It's wack yeah, but do that shit anyways. Once you get to college, most "homework" is gone. Now it's just studying and taking like 3 exams that are worth 33.3 % of your grade or somthing
  3. High-school grades are only important for getting you into college: I didnt have the greatest gpa in highschool (2.8), but since I lack the amount of homework that I just didnt do in highschools, my grades are pretty good (3.5). So the moral of the story is, "Get into college and you can potentially do better than highschool"

Overall, I think college is easier than highschool

Graphic Design is a wide field.

AAU breaks it down into a few different degrees, there's New Media, which covers typography, web design, illustrative layout on packaging and such.

Graphic Design is a discipline that goes into the use of different materials, how to handle clients, gain a feel for what services are going to cost you, your employer, etc. If you get a degree you recieve a great deal of training with not only colors, typography, composition, but how to use different papers, embossing, stitching techniques, solve issues with mass production, how to present conceptual designs to the larger clients...

There's a lot of graphic designers, but then again this is a consumer culture, so there's a lot of things that can afford a little graphic designing. It depends what clients you want to go for.. You want to take on Kraft, your game best be tight. Result however is way over 300k a year, exotic cars, mansions, and lots of vacation time.

my advice. try hard in school. like gigantiboobie said up there, dont' take overly hard classes if you're going to do bad. take your classes, get good grades (above a C please). highschool is some bullshit. i know. day after fucking day of the same shit, it can get ruthless. but like almost everyone says, i wish i tried harder in highschool. i was too cool smoking pot, cutting classes, and jsut not caring about a highschool education. well, i made it to college, a good one for my major, but i would have had a lot more open offers if i only tried harder in highschool. jsut imagine. do bad in highschool, get shitty offers. while if u do good in highschool, you get nice offers, and go to a place where it's good and fun. don't be left having to drive 70 miles a day back and fourth just to get to school. nahmean? and some1 said that it gets harder after highschool. not necessarily... i mean the stuff u learn is harder, but it's the shit that YOU WANT to learn hypothetically. it's jsut a lot different from highschool. in highschool you just bullshit ur way through, doing hw daily, yadda yadda. but in college, u have to pass classes urself. u don't work, you don't pass. that simple. it might be different for various majors, but speaking of my own, it's a hell of a lot better than highschool even though the work load is a lot more technically.

just study hard in highschool, get ur shit done correct, and have a good life from there on out. i can't say exactly what an art school looks at for acceptance, but i would imagine they want to see that your not a complete dumbass. so again, get ur shit done, and have a dope portfolio. if u don't do so hot in highschool, u can go to community college (which is a pretty good option, colleges like ppl from community colleges b/c they have experience in the college atmosphere, and deem u capable of succededing in their college) but u gotta again try hard in community colleges to get to where u want to go.

it's cliche to hear everybody say 'i wish i tried harder' and being in highschool, u think u know the world- at least i did. but, everybody is telling the truth. so get to it nuk

i get good grades (im in high school) A's and B's

i do my homework.

i write.

i smoke pot.

i drink.

i still get good grades.

im going into an IB 2 year art course in 1 year (its basically an AP class) because graphic design is what i wanna do.

the problem is that i could also get into any other school for business or law or some other shit, this is not what i wanna do.

but i dont wanna go to art school to be some fucking loser who ends up with no job or a job that pays nothing.

so im thinking... get into SVA. minor in business and a foreign language. major in graphic design.

do that for a while... and study abroad for 1-2 years.

then go on to get a masters degree for design and a bachelors in business.

will this put me ahead enough to get into the graphic design field and be successful? or is art school still bull shit?

mind now... im planning to go to SVA...

dont fuck off because you can. I did that. I got b,c, and d's junior year and it kinda fucked me up. I pulled it all together in senior year and got straight a's. But colleges give fuckall about senior year. But non of this mattered to me because I wanted to go to an art college at the time. Its true what they say about some most colleges, if you can pay they will accept you provided you show some talent and can cope with the classes. But then again why would you spend 20-40 thousand a year on an education you can get at a community college? at least for the first two years... your diploma will say the art schools name on it if thats what your concerend about.

If you have some manual talent and are commited a trade might be good for you. I personally want to make furniture for a living. Currently Im working on dropping out of college.

There's alot you need to give thought to. But getting good grades is important. They dont mean much in the long run, there is always another way but why take the long route when you can skip it all by buckling down and working a little harder than your used to?

Moral of the story: Do your work, get good grades, and get into college.