Hey Guys, Been awhile.

SilentBob

Hey everyone. Its been a long time since I been on this thing. I don't really have time to explain what all I've been up to. But I do need your helps.

I have been invited to do a roadtrip to Melbourne Australia (home of the aclaimmed ABC amongst other things...Its also my fav city to visit in Australia) I should have places to stay which means the only thing I'll be spending money on is booze, food, maybe paint, and possibly a plane back (they are cheap. Runs like $70 or so on a good day)

The only thing is, I promised I'd do a show (some of you may or may not know i'm a hip hop mc) for these promoters I do part time work for (completely unrelated work, they promote on the side and asked me to do ish). If I go to melbourne it means I'll be pulling out of this gig. The gig isn't some huge event or anything. But its a good ice breaking op for working with these guys again, and by leaving them in the shit like this I'll probably not be able to do work for them again (even though I just talked to dude on the phone and he was pretty cool and mentioned there will be other oppurtunities). Plus they are nice guys and I'll feel like a total cunt.

But on the other side I get to do a road trip with two of my good buddies from my graffiti crew (first traveling I've actually done with any of my graff homies) and I get to get the hell out of Sydney for new years eve and all that for the last time in 6 months (if I dont go now its not until I travel in July 06 )

So what do you guys think? Run amuck in Melbourne, burn some nice people unintentionally, and get the hell out of riot prone shitty sydney long enough to keep my sane for 6 months? Or stay, do the right thing by my employees and save some extra cash?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Sparoism

Soooooooo.....from what you tell me, it sounds like you are a promoter, but I'm not sure if it's your full time gig or just a side thing you do.

I use to promote/DJ as well in San Francisco in the early 90's. The perks are phenomenal- I used to get comped for just about everything the club/event had to offer 90% of the time (the other 10% fell under "club owners/hosts who are strictly in it for the money"). My social standing was, well...it was up there, higher than it is now, to be sure. I had NO PROBLEMS getting dates back then....good thing I have a steady girlfriend now (haha). And, if the host/club made good money and felt generous, I would usually get a little somethin' somethin' at the end of the night...basically, I'd get "tipped out", as it were.

The things I don't miss- mostly the hours, and dealing with issues pertaining to doing large social events- permitting problems, flaky vendors, rockstar DJ attitudes, the occasional "incident" involving partygoers and either ambulances, fire department officals, or, of course, Mr. Johnny Law himself.

If you have friends/associates in the business that you trust with your business and reputation, you could spend the next week networking like crazy and fill in the gaps that would be created by your absence. The upside to this is that you appear ro be resourceful and well-connected enough to pull off an event without actually having to be present for it. You can still have your name on the flyer (if there is one), and that will bump up your rep, of course.

However, if things don't go as smoothly as planned (example-I learned how to DJ by filling in for AWOL performers on more than one...no, DOZENS of occasions), part of the blame almost always lies with the promoter, even if your headliner breaks his leg snowboarding or is unable to make it. It's unfair, it's crazy, but it's unavoidable. YOU may have the ability to fix a last-minute crisis, but this is hindered if you are in City B and the event is in City A and you can't pay your fill-in act his $1000 to play the gig....and, no one left in charge has the dough, and it's a Saturday and all the banks are closed. Gosh, it's all coming back to me, now! Unfortunately, at this point I can only recall the problems, not the parties. It goes without saying though, that if the party came off and you can remember it, you probably weren't there. That, or you weren't having too much fun.

OR, you can scream, "DAD!!! HEART ATTACK!!! AIRPLANE!!! CAN'T TALK, CAN'T THINK!!! GOTTA GO!!!" in the phone and hope that no one in Melbourne who knows the organizers sees you out on the town there....hmmm. Dishonest, but 99% effective. You also have to remember the lie and be able to "maintain the fiction", as it were.

I'm all in favor of vacation (as I haven't had one in some time) since I'm the "go-to" guy at my job and therefore not allowed to take prolonged leaves of absence. Fuckers.

So, it can be done....it may kill the next week for you, but if you feel obligated to go and not leave them hanging, start calling in some favors and quick. And, hope for the best.

Otherwise, sorry about your sister's "accident"...hope she gets "better" soon.

Good luck.

um thanks for that huge reply. I was wondering what on earth you were typing here for so long. I'm actually not a promoter though, I'm an musician. That is I was booked by these promoters to preform. And I plan on going AWOL on them. (With only a cunty weeks notice). As for making up some shit. I already told one of them what was up on the phone (that is, that I was thinking about going to Melb's ) so that options out. It's not really my style anyway.

Yeah I've thought it all through. And I really can't see myself not going to Melbourne. I'll be sure to make a Tshirt that says "Friends with Coldmilkcup" on the front and "Cant Touch This" on the back (with a photo of MC Hammer) before I go.

Seriously though I think I'm much more likely to have beef here than Melbourne last time I went there people were very chilled. That is until you tell them your from Sydney.

Guest Sparoism

My friend met MC Hammer the other night. He was assisting at the scene of a car accident in Oakland. Dead serious...he even got an autograph.

I type for a living, so it's no big thing. I need a editor sometimes, in the interest of brevity. Also, I'm working on a book. It's going to be a long book, I'm afraid....

Well, I guess I misunderstood your dilemma...if going won't take away future gigs from you, then say "Hi" to Mr. ABC for me.

thats the thing, the promoter sounded very understanding about it and like I said mentioned that there will be other opportunities. But I have my doubts. I mean if I left your ass hanging with a weeks noticed and it was the first time you booked me, would you book me again? I know I wouldn't. Normally I'm much more proffessional than this. Either way, I'm off. And if I bump into ABC i'll be sure to say hooroo (old australian man, for "hi")

due you seem to have made up your mind already..

go on holiday! have a good time!

these things are unaviodable. ive been in a few sittuations like these as a dj and it does suck, esp if you love performing.

however you seem a stand up honest guy. since youve been honest with the dudes promoting just let them know you cant make it asap, perhaps help with a replacement and then when you get back get in touch with them and see how it went. build your bridges again.

plus, i cant think of many rappers who havent had a no show before....it hasnt fucked their careers up!

I know what you mean boxcars. But in this case being where I said I would be means staying for what will be one of several pretty mediocre gigs with many many more to go.

We're not in a position to be picking and choosing what time we get on stage and stuff like that, and even though we've done one or two cool ones, we're still a supporting act. And in this case I think we are one of the first acts on at a multi genre gig (by this I mean we'll be a hip hop act at a crowd that will mostly be metal heads.) And we'll be on the smaller of two stages at a show that last time I checked (a couple weeks back) hadn't sold more than 150 tickets.

Honestly this type of thing is fine with me. I don't feel like I'm too good for it or anything like that. I actually enjoy this kind of due paying shit. But if its a choice between a night of that and a free trip to Melbourne with a broken promise to some people who hopefully won't miss me all that much anyway? ... I think I'm going for the second one.

I'll see tommorow though. Got to make sure all my affairs (places to stay and stuff ) are in order. And if for some reason they really need us to play, then I guess I'll have to stick to my word.

Otherwise its hooroo to Melburnites for new years eve.

Guest Sparoism

I agree- you come across as a man of your word, and if they are okay with you not making it, then by all means, go.

The only time I held a grudge against a performer is if they showed up too loaded to play, or if they double booked intentionally to hold out for more money. Beyond that, things happen, and if both parties handle it well, the only stress is the initial inconvenience.

Besides, it sounds like it's not the crowd you're playing for- it sounds more like the promoters want to switch up the bill a little for whatever reason.

And, I think a week is adequate time for them to cover their ends. If they can't find a band to fill the slot then they aren't trying hard enough.

Go on, have fun, show us some photos. It's worth it just for that. Mr. ABC paints some hilarious shit...I hope he comes through.

Thanks spar, so I saw the promoters today.

One acted much more peeved then he seemed on the phone last night. But I talked to him later and it turns out he was just playing mind games with me as a kind of practical joke. (It wasn't all that effective. I mean like I said I did feel really bad. It was eating at me for hours last night. But no one really takes well to being talked down to so when dude was like. "It sucks for you you can't make it. Its going to be a ripper of a gig your missing out on" I couldn't help but be alittle like. "I'm sorry and all but yeah whatever") Anyway the guy said he was %100 sure they would be fine without us, and it wouldnt cause them any problems. So I'm glad I went with Melbourne. Talked to some people I'm going with on the phone today. I'm getting fucking pumped. I heart Melb's for sure.

Ohh and on a side note, I generally just had an awesome day.

1) Got pumped about Melbourne

2) Met* a very nice French girl who is going to re-teach me french (I learnt it as a kid but have forgotten)

3) Met some dude from the beaches here who invited me to go sea kyaking. (sp?) after I get back from Melb's

I take it all as a good omen for my trip.

Thanks for the help everyone.

^ haha. I'm pretty happy with my choice though. I'm looking forward to this trip. And last time I went there was lots of dancing around on stage anyway. So chances are I probably will end up having my dance and graff at the same time.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Now if people want to list cool and rare stuff to do in Melbourne that you can only know about by being a local, I'll be a happy man.