Helping buying a canvas and similar items...

JayFo

I need some help with buying canvas's and supplies and all that.

Tryin to get someone a canvas or canvases and paint and bruches or paint markers or whatever and not sure where I should get them, what's good, what's bad... what the prices are and all that. So if anyone could help my out I'd appreciate it. Just never done anythin with canvases so not actually sure where to look or what to look for or the range of prices and everythin. So help needed... and appreciated.

And yes I realize there is a canvas thread, but it's 35 pages long and alreyad psoted yesterday or the day before and noone responded. Seeing as I actually need this answered sorta soon, I know it won't be on the canvas thread, plus that thread is for pictures, not this...

So don't yell at me and say close this, cuz it's not a big deal, I'm just tryin to get some help and hopefully someone can. Once I get the info I need you can jsut let this float to the other pages and never see it again. Or maybe it can just be a thread for anyone with questions regardin canvases or whatever ya want.

Anywayz, that'sa it... hopin someone can help.

later

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I dunno where in NYC u from but

PearlPaint in the city

Pecks Home Office or Jerry's Artarama in Queens

Canvas a depend on size from like $2.99 - around $50

(Larger u get more expensive it is)

Brushes depend on size, company, medium ur using.

they can go anywhere from $1 - $20

I recommend DECO paint markers and acrylic paint.

http://www.pearlpaint.com/

if there are micheals or hobby lobby around your way thats where I would go to get a canvas. Thats where I buy all mine and I just get the cheap micheals brand canvas. As far as paint markers go I use alot of deco colors, uni paints and marvy's for the foreground. Another good thing to do for your foegroun fill is to take a peice of shelfing paper and stick it over your already painted background and draw your peice on it and cut it out with an exacto knife. Now you have a stencil of your peice on the canvas that you can fill with spraypaint.

whats good is whatever is rackable. anyone can get a job-- make money-- go buy dope markers and paint and make something that technically looks tight. i recommend limiting yourself to what you can steal because you will be suprized what you can do with what you've got. then once you get better at racking and you can get the dope shit itll just be that much smoother for you.

ps. dont get caught racking.

It's pretty hard to rack canvases tho, unless you just go in get a canvas and walk/run out then really the only way to rack a canvas would be to get the canvas stretchers that you need (Messure what size you want first of course) shove them in your wasteband. But then you've got to get the actuall canvas material which is hard because most hobby/art stores have big rolls of canvas and have to cut your desired size by hand, so if they cut if for you its pretty hard to walk out with it, but i could be done. I would just recommend buying a canvas tho considering that they dont cost that much for a lower-quality canvas depending on size. If your into buying it and all i would say zack morris pretty much hit the nail on the head, but be aware that paint makers are VERY expensive, and in some cases costs more then a can of paint.

Now as far as technique goes, sometimes unless you know exactly what your doing brushes leave strokes in after the paint dries that you have applied, so i would go with paint markers, but they also can get a little streaky. Also some nice effects can also be created by using spounge brushes (very cheap around ¢50 a piece) but they get ruined pretty easily.

But yeah, I'd just say go to an art/hobby store browse around pick a few things up and experiment.

thanks to everyone for the help...

first and foremost, not sure if I even said this, but decided to now. This canvas and paint and everyhtin wouldn't be for me. For a girl... buyin it for her for her birthday, so I'm not about to rack any of this.

Thanks for much of the advice given to me about me doin canvases and everythin also, will help in the future, altho as of now I'm not plannin on doin a canvas.

And as for markers or paint or brushes... I'll just get whatever. Some markers and brushes and some paint. What type of paint is good for canvas? Since I'm not sure and don't think anyone said anythin bout it.

For canvases themselves... I guess I'll check it out whereever i go (starz... pearlpaint sounds good, I'll check it out, whether in real life or just internet) and get a decent sized canvas or somehtin.

Thanks a lot for the help... I'll just have to go to the a store and check shit out and buy somethin. At least now I know for the markers/vancvas/paint/brushes itll probably cost 60-100 dollars or somethin.

Anywayz thats it, thanks... later.

you deffinetly should've clarified that before, but acrylics and oils are good for canvas paintings, oils being the better and more expensive kind, with acrylic being less expenseive but not quite as good as oils.

if your gonna be doing alot of canvases you should learn to stretch your own. it ends up being cheaper and you have much more freedom in terms of size and whatnot. its not hard either...

college painting class comes in handy.

Originally posted by drinkxylene

whats good is whatever is rackable. anyone can get a job-- make money-- go buy dope markers and paint and make something that technically looks tight. i recommend limiting yourself to what you can steal because you will be suprized what you can do with what you've got. then once you get better at racking and you can get the dope shit itll just be that much smoother for you.

ps. dont get caught racking.

you're fucking ignorant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by timemachine

man Micheals is a great place to go for art supplies but it is so fuckin expensive, and im not rich

i usually just go to wal mart man cuz u can buy stretched and mounted canvases for like so cheap

just another option

micheals is crazy expensive but also the easiest store to rack from..who the fuk buys markers learn to rack

Originally posted by SSELOONERR

micheals is crazy expensive but also the easiest store to rack from..who the fuk buys markers learn to rack

People over 18 who have no desire to get arrested for a petty crime like shoplifting when they can pay for things. You know, people with jobs, money, a good grasp of the english language.

Archived