1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Help

Discussion in 'Paper Chase' started by Abikone, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Abikone

Abikone New Jack

Help

Discussion started by Abikone - Aug 19, 2004

okay first off i've been drawing for like 2 years and i still suck....but i'm just now understanding about it all...anyway these are some drawings i did ...if anyone will look at it and tell me if there is anything i can make better i would greatly appreciate it..Thanks TDK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abikone - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. PAID:one

PAID:one 12oz Member

PAID:one - Replied Aug 19, 2004

throw letters are a good place to start. Your line is shakey but if you keep sketching.....that goes away.

refine it, develope it, don't look at other peoples stuff when you sketch....etc.

PAID:one - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. Yellow Feets

Yellow Feets 12oz Senior Member

Yellow Feets - Replied Aug 19, 2004

Honestly, I have different opinions on this. For someone of Abik's skill level, I think it's okay to "nibble". Y'know, to get an understanding of how letters work and shit.

But that's just me.

Yellow Feets - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. PAID:one

PAID:one 12oz Member

PAID:one - Replied Aug 19, 2004

eeehhhhhhhhhh..............
    You might be right bro. [​IMG]

PAID:one - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. StarzAbove

StarzAbove 12oz Veteran Member

StarzAbove - Replied Aug 19, 2004

:eek: Just don't put 3D's on throwies

StarzAbove - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. InfamousOne

InfamousOne 12oz Member

InfamousOne - Replied Aug 19, 2004

2 years???

InfamousOne - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. BANK

BANK 12oz Junior Member

BANK - Replied Aug 19, 2004

not bad....

BANK - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  8. THE CORONER

THE CORONER Banned

THE CORONER - Replied Aug 19, 2004

i like the throw a lot actually its rad

THE CORONER - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  9. Issac Brock

Issac Brock 12oz Elite Member

Issac Brock - Replied Aug 19, 2004

yeah actually i think the throwie is real dope but i think you need to go simpler on your peices. do block letters to get your lines even.

Issac Brock - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  10. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

Joker - Replied Aug 19, 2004

I can't believe I'm taking the time to do this, but here goes...

First, please don't use the name TDK. I know it's as common as TBS or CBS or KGB... but that crew name has a huge history. With all the three word names you can come up with, why not fish around for something more clever, and new. Hell, it doesn't even have to be three words. I have never seen in the Graffiti "Rules and Regulations" handbook where it says you have to have a crew that is made up of three words. So please, out of respect for the real TDK cease using that as a crew name. Please.

Second, for two years you should be a little further along that where you are. Unless you have absolutely no real drive to improve. Or no real reason to improve. I know it's been said to others a million times, and chances are you've heard it yourself for at least a year but you should probably work in simple styles for a little bit. I can see you understand the basics of writing but there's something lacking in your flow and feel. Yea, I've only seen these two throw-ups you've posted, but you asked for help. Here I am. Also, try to keep your letters on a similar plane. Meaning, don't let them sag... your B is lower than your A and your I is lower than your B and so on. Try to keep them all on the same line. While learning... this helps. Colors are important when you're at this stage. The impulse to get crazed up and fancy free is inevitable... but should be fought against with fierce force. Try to keep things to a low roar. One or two colors at the most. You can do a yellow fill with maybe another yellow fade in there. Outline it in red and then add your pink outer outline. Get crazy with a black cloud or something behind it to make it pop off the paper or wall. This is just an idea. I think you'll find that staying simple, in your outlines and colors will give you a large impact than what you're trying to do now.

Third, 3D's. One of the most over used additions to a piece. I personally can't stand a 3D but then again, I'm odd. If you must add a 3D, do so simply. Subtle is key here. Especially when learning. Don't worry about shadows or anything like that, just stick to a color and make it solid. You can get wild once you've mastered the look and feel of the solid styles.

Fourth, on throw-ups try to keep them simple as well. I mean, let's face it... it's design is based on quick motions to get the name up and get out of sight. Try sticking to just an AK or an AB for a bit. Keep them simple and strong and lose the 3D effect. A drop shadow is always nice but not really that important. Especially if you can pull one off with style. I think just having to work with two letters will give you the chance to concentrate more intensely on those letters and improve overall down the road. You know... the baby steps formula.

Fifth, your tag... dude. Stop right where you are and don't make another move. If you have the opportunity to get your hands on The Vapors magazine (http://www.fourthehardway.com/product_info...?products_id=70) I'd highly suggest it. Or even the book All City. Something with lots of great tags. That sttyle you're pushing says way too much about you as a writer. Toy. With two years under your belt, you gotta step it up a notch or two. Again, simple is the term of the day. A little flair will go a long way. No need to get artsy with it. Again, you're goal is to get it up with the quickness. The more shit you have to concentrate on, the less chance you have of getting over.

Now, these are just suggestions and ideas based on my personal tastes and opinions. Take them for what they are. None of it is a dis, not even where I called you a toy. (Like Papa E says... "You're a toy until further notice.")

Your friendly neighborhood old dried up has been... Joker

Joker - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  11. geezpot

geezpot 12oz Elite Member

geezpot - Replied Aug 19, 2004

Abikone-Listen to Joker he brings great wisdom for a dried up has been.

Joker-a has been? More like a has been kicking ass. I've always admired your work, it brings a new style to appreciate within urban arts.

geezpot - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. DANKMAN

DANKMAN 12oz Member

DANKMAN - Replied Aug 21, 2004

damn, thats funny joker spent that much time trying to help this toy out....

DANKMAN - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

Joker - Replied Aug 21, 2004

Well, to be honest, Toys tend to congregate into one area. I've kinda noticed that in these threads. So yea, I took the time to give one mans opinion but I did it so that others may use the info as well as this guy, if so inclined to.

I see nothing wrong with that...

Joker - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  14. DANKMAN

DANKMAN 12oz Member

DANKMAN - Replied Aug 21, 2004

i agree, the toys do tend to spend time in this thread, guess that better than them being out bombing shit, or hittin trains.... there is enough bad graffiti on trains these days....

it was good advice, some of these kids dont know their history, they need to be schooled... might as well be by a veteran such as your self...

DANKMAN - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. zintckva

zintckva 12oz Junior Member

zintckva - Replied Aug 21, 2004

ive been writeing 4 2years also but i guess some ppl r more artistic but keep up you will get there just never give up...
    mcp zinone tck

zintckva - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages: