help with external HD's

seeking

i need an external firewire HD, so im looking at ebay right now. theres a few of them that are like 120gb for less than $150, which seems kind of really cheap to me. are these things made out of sugar water and tinfoil, or what?

i dont need to work from it, just use it for archiving. anyone have any advice?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

maybe 'archiving' isnt the best term for it.

ive only got 20gb on my laptop, so i need to be able to store all my photos, mp3's, etc. cd's dont have enough room, dvd's get scratched, and its just more of a hassle than i want to deal with. not to mention, way more expensive.

yeah...nomada has it right. basically its apps that you use on a regular basis...kinda like your start-up page on the internet. the majority of the conthent is already stored on there...so it makes it faster. 8 being better because it can store more "frequently used" info.

I recommend you get at least a 7200 rpm drive. thats were the speed is gonna come from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1&category=3757

thats the one im looking at now. its a 7200.

you know, in case anyone gives a fuck.

steve, i almost just bought a track bike. some fuji jawn. $600 retail, it went for $250 on ebay. looked pretty shady so i didnt persue it too hard. for a moment though, i had big visions of me finally getting a bike.

oh, holler if you know someone seeling a set of rims.

i have 2 80 gig externals

1 is a western digital firewire jammie

which is pretty decent and solid.

the other which i more frequently use is a Qdisk USB 2 jammie.. which works differently on my laptop then on my tower.

you know how you can usually choose to eject or unplug peripheral hardware without a problem?

well ive noticed that the qdisk doesnt like doing that..

i have to shut down the computer to unplug or plug the thing in.

dont know why.

personally i think lacie and western digital are two solid companies... that offer reliable tech goods.

id suggest buying it from someplace that offers coverage or warranty.

its always a plus.

its also twice as much.

i suppose im being lured in by the cheap prices, but im also pretty broke, so its almost a question of this or nothing at all.

ive bought all sorts of shit off ebay, and almost always had good experiences. in this case, im sure dude just got a new one, so he's selling the old, not that its broken and he's trying to front. but who knows. i wont make a decision till the last few minutes.

all i know is that i desperately need one asap. so whatevs.

warranty?

a friend bout a Lacie external 120gb and the thing really took a beating.

I think it fell down some stairs or somthing but he took it into the Lacie

rep in my city (bypassing the store he bought it at) and they repaired

the drive to recover the data and then moved all the data to a new drive

at no cost to him.

Lacie is my drive of choice.

Originally posted by seeking

steve, i almost just bought a track bike. some fuji jawn. $600 retail, it went for $250 on ebay. looked pretty shady so i didnt persue it too hard. for a moment though, i had big visions of me finally getting a bike.

oh, holler if you know someone seeling a set of rims.

what size whip do you need? I've got a few extras hanging in my basement...you could convert to a ghetto fixie relatively easy and inexpensive.

I second the Lacie drives.

how important is the frame? i would think the rear wheel/hub and the chain would be the integral parts, frame is pretty much whatever... which is why i dont understand people freaking out about pista's and shit. infact, i dont really understand people going out and buying pre-made fixies. it seems sort of... i dont know...poserish. id rather have some throwback shit i built myself.

then again, i just like to say 'throwback'.