Help wanted: The differences between American regions

Guest imported_Europe

Guest imported_Europe

Hey boys and girls of Channel Zero.

Ol' Europe needs some help and input, if any of you could give me some serious thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Question goes:

How far are there still differences between the American regoins. (The NorthEast, the South, the MidWest and the West).

Specificly regarding:

-Religion

-Race (white, black, asian and hispanic)

-Abortion

-Executions

Thanks in advance.

(And yes, its for school :D )

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Europe

Hey boys and girls of Channel Zero.

Ol' Europe needs some help and input, if any of you could give me some serious thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Question goes:

How far are there still differences between the American regoins. (The NorthEast, the South, the MidWest and the West).

Specificly regarding:

-Religion

-Race (white, black, asian and hispanic)

-Abortion

-Executions

Thanks in advance.

(And yes, its for school :D )

well i can tell you how things are out here in the west.....race in the suberban parts of california are immensly growing in the asian races(korean chinese phillipino ect..) there are alot african americans and mexicans in more densly populated areas......it seems that whites are now the minority.............as far as religion it is very diverse. because of all the different ethnic groups and nationalities. i dont think that many people around here believe in the death penalty or things like that and as far as abortion.............the same views are everywhere

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by CILONE/SK

Can you break this question down some more. You hit like a ton of different points, which each one could cover a whole thesis on its own.

The only question I got was:

How far are there still differences between the American regions?

I know its very wide, still its possible to say some general things about it.

Guest imported_Europe

I know it varies greatly, thanks.

Its only a oneline question, thats why I threw in some keypoints, the specific regions, race, religion, abortion and executions.

religion...

the south is baptist, catholic, presbyterian, born-again, a big mix of predominantly christian religions, but there is a jewish presence in florida..it is still referred to, with good reason, as "The Bible-Belt"

this is also where the more 'fundamentalist' and christian-right groups come from..

the rest of the country is more integrated as far as religion goes..

although there seems to be a lot more atheism in the northeast and the far west (california)

..this dictates abortion opinion as well, although there are prochoice/antiabortion groups in all parts of the country in force..

the south also seems to be more open to execution (again with the 'eye for an eye' fundamentalist view)

executions....

are not legal in all the states..i'm sure you could easily find breakdowns on which states are bigger than others on execution, i'd bet that the south executes the most (in terms of regional comparison)

i KNOW texas executes more than any other state, i think florida and virginia are close..

california though, has hard-core laws about offenders, and they implemented th e3 strikes rule (anyone incurring 3 felonies gets automatic LIFE in prison no parole)

race.

very complicated.

blacks are all over, although i saw significantly less in the west, specifically colorado (i saw 2 black people in boulder while there for 3 weeks), utah, and northern california..oregon and washigton also had smaller black populations..i'd bet the a lot of the cold ass north doesn't have many blacks..but they do have bigger native american populations..

mexicans have emigrated everywhere in search of jobs.

my city, on the eastern seaboard, is predominantly black

(i think there are only a few cities like this, washington d.c. is another, new orleans may be one as well, not sure about detroit) there is a big mexican/central american population here as well..

asians are also everywhere.

they are running liquor stores in the worst ghettos, running labs in the best schools..there are 'chinatowns' and 'little koreas' and the like in many, many american cities..i dunno about the midwest, although there may be a decent size asian population partly due to how they were rounded up and shipped there to live in vitual concentraion camps during wwII

there is a huge asian population in the west, as well as the northeast..

i'm sure there are census data statistics directly adressing [some or all of] your questions with actual numbers..

there are no places i've been where i haven't seen any mexicans.

i would say there are still some differences.

the midwest...still 'america's heartland' although it is being ravaged by methamphetamines, mostly white christian, some conservative, but still a decent mix of political opinions..not a lot of fundamentalism or extremism, in politics or race..

the south..definitely the most polarized..still has residual racial tension, still busy hating, on gays, on blacks, on jews..but getting more modernized slowly but surely..racially integrated as far as white/black, but relations aren't always good...more executions, anti-abortion is big there..the most distinct, especially counting TEXAS, the most distinctive state...which has big black, white and hispanic populatins, and is plagues by problems..

the east...very integrated, very educated..massachusetts and maryland have some of the highest rates of higher education, more liberal than [all?] other areas of the country, very integrated, with races mixing a lot, big pro-choice base here, religin has suffered in some parts of this area..catholicism especially...th epopulation here is progressive..

the west....

break down into

the northwest...has money, still mostly white, pretty clean, somewhat conservative, religion is here but not a dominant presence..

california..racially mixed, politically all over the place..the state is having huge problems and needs a good leader..it has a distinct 'vibe'

the southwest..lots of racial mix, especially mexican, haven't known of a huge religious presence here, but i'm sure it exists, native american populations..arizona has a very liberal governor, i don't know that religion is huge there..

it's a melting pot.

the flavors are dulling because of chain everything..

the clothes i see in california stores are the same as what i can buy in new york.

the restaurants are the same, even if it's isn't fast food

all the networks are nationwide, even accents are starting to dissappear..

people have moved so much, you could go to any place and find an exception to what i wrote..

there used to be huge differences, and one can stillsense it, but it's not as cut and dry anymore.

TEXAS- SOUTHERN REGION

RACE- Racism will always exist, that's a given. Interacial dating has picked up bigtime here, and is becoming less and less inmportant to people i think. As far as different races getting along is concerned, it's fairly good, except for locally there has been a lot of police brutality towards minorities (a few questionable deaths and what not) howver, teens here seem to be fine with interacting with one another for the most part. At my highschool there was over 65 different nationalities there at the time i went, and the diversity was awesome. I'd say that Asians here or the most secluded people, they seem to stick to themselves the most out of anyone.

RELIGION- we got it all here, mainly catholic, bapist, and whatever the other 3rd main one would be... but we got them all i'm sure.

ABORTION- like anywhere else, im sure it's split down the middle with this as well. Some for it and some against it, personally i think it should be a women's choice, and legal if she decides to do it, but it shouldn't be a form of birth control.

EXECUTIONS- People are highly FOR the death penalty here more than they are against it I would think. I believe in it, and think that it's necessary in most cases, especially on certain crimes where the criminal was proven guilty and you know for sure it was him/her.

oh yeah...

jewish areas are bigger in the northeast, california, and florida.

muslims are everywher, but in smaller numbers.

in prison polpulations, in black populations and in the inner cities, islam is getting bigger..

christianity, in its many many forms, is still the predominant religion

there's some pagan bitches in cali hahahhaha..

and again with the native americans...they have their own thing, and they try to keep it alive..

unfortunately, some have gone the way of conversion. :o

(my best friend is native american, she laments this too...)

yo cilone. thanks man.

Well. As far as religion is concerned and im not sure if some one else has said this already, you have the bible belt. It spans across the north east down thru the west and it gets more and more serious the farther south you go. I will expand on this phenomena once i finish putting up my wallpaper for the day.

!@#$ pretty much summed it all up as well as anyone here possibly could.

if you want more specific racial breakdowns, just think of it in terms of geographical proximity.

california has a ton of asians, because it's the closest part of the country to asia.

new mexico, california. colorado, utah, texas, arizona all have very high mexican populations. chicago has alot too i think.

detroit has the largest arabic population in the world, outside of the middle east. surprisingly perhaps, we all seem to get along here. granted, most people keep to themselves an their own people, but when 9.11 happended, there were very few incidents of backlash against arabs here. they pretty much own all the liquor stores and gas stations in the urban areas. thats not stereotypes either, it's fact.

blacks are everywhere that you might imagine them being. not so much in the northern rural states, but if they are there, they're in and around the major cities. detroit and chicago are very black. atlanta is the new 'big' black city here. alot of blacks are moving there because there are so many well established blacks that they have their own little metropolis...they don't face the same kind of descrimination they do in other cities, because it's people just like themselves doing the hiring.

florida has a real big cuban population. probably a decent hatian one as well, but i dont know.

nyc has a ton of every race (although somehow, there arent too many mexicans in nyc. alot of other 'brown' people, but not as many mexicans).

umm, i cant think anymore and it's time to go home.

good luck.

Well I'm from the industrial belt, which is now known as the rust belt, but I've moved around quite a bit... it's not as much fun as the sun belt. I think you've got it pretty much covered. I'm tired. Sorry I haven't been much help.

I've driven and flown all over the U.S. and had to do reports on this subject so I'll just give my input on the race part.

Alaska = mostly White with large portions of Inuits (Eskimo)

Hawaii = for the most part is Asian and Pacific Islander. Whites are the 2nd largest and after that is a small portion of everyone else.

Mountain States... most of the Mountain states are predominantly white. Washington, Montana, Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado... all that...

Southwest... Whites still slightly make up the majority (more than 50%), but Hispanics are the second largest group and are the fastest growing group. This includes California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Texas as a whole seems to be somewhat evenly divided between Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics... California gets a lot of Asians as well. California and Hawaii has the most Asians percentage wise and population wise. Cities like L.A. and San Antonio are mostly Hispanic. Cities like San Francisco is mostly white and Asian and cities like Houston and Oakland are mostly black, with growing Hispanic populations.

Southeast (The Dirty South)... Whites and blacks mainly. Most large cities are predominantly black. Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, St. Louis (south or midwest? who knows), Houston, etc. The exception being Miami and south Florida which has large Carribean/Hispanic populations. Louisiana has a large Creole population which are mixed races of French, Black, Spanish, and I believe Native American Indian...

Midwest is mostly white with large sizable black and Hispanic populations. The big cities like Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinatti are mostly black. Chicago and Detroit both have smaller Hispanic populations. Minneanapolis however is mostly white with some blacks and others.

Northeast region is mostly white, with again the exception of big cities.

Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore... all these cities are mostly black. Baltimore is actually a little evenly divided between blacks and whites. New York City is very evenly divided, it's about half white, a quarter black, almost a quarter Hispanic, and then everyone else makes up the rest of the percentages.

But for the most part the pattern is the same... whites make up the majority of the suburbs and blacks and Hispanics make up the majority of the big cities, with a few exceptions like Seattle, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Minneanapolis, which are mostly white.

U.S. Territories:

Guam & Saipan: Mostly Filipino, Pacific Islander, and Japanese.

Puerto Rico: Puerto Ricans

American Samoa: Samoan/Pacific Islander

There are whites and blacks and hispanics here but they're mostly military or government officials.

Religion... majority of America is based on Protestant Christian culture, with small exceptions in certain areas. Utah is made up of mostly Mormon Christian whites. The Southwest is becoming increasingly Catholic due to the increase of Hispanic, who for the most part are Catholic. Surprisingly, the majority of Muslims in America aren't Arab, but are African-American. And the majority of Arabs in America are actually Christian.

And then you have a large population of non-religious people. I think our capitalist-based society has a lot to do with that.

All I know is that Texas has the most executions.

I'm tired.

Originally posted by seeking

!@#$ pretty much summed it all up as well as anyone here possibly could.

if you want more specific racial breakdowns, just think of it in terms of geographical proximity.

california has a ton of asians, because it's the closest part of the country to asia.

new mexico, california. colorado, utah, texas, arizona all have very high mexican populations. chicago has alot too i think.

detroit has the largest arabic population in the world, outside of the middle east. surprisingly perhaps, we all seem to get along here. granted, most people keep to themselves an their own people, but when 9.11 happended, there were very few incidents of backlash against arabs here. they pretty much own all the liquor stores and gas stations in the urban areas. thats not stereotypes either, it's fact.

blacks are everywhere that you might imagine them being. not so much in the northern rural states, but if they are there, they're in and around the major cities. detroit and chicago are very black. atlanta is the new 'big' black city here. alot of blacks are moving there because there are so many well established blacks that they have their own little metropolis...they don't face the same kind of descrimination they do in other cities, because it's people just like themselves doing the hiring.

florida has a real big cuban population. probably a decent hatian one as well, but i dont know.

nyc has a ton of every race (although somehow, there arent too many mexicans in nyc. alot of other 'brown' people, but not as many mexicans).

umm, i cant think anymore and it's time to go home.

good luck.

Utah has a lot of Mexicans? I drove through Salt Lake City and I don't remember seeing one Mexican. I saw like two black people.

okay a lot of good point have been hit on but I will add more.

The south (only Louisiana, Alabama,Florida,Georga,Mississippi and Texas):

A lot of FAT people. A large black population. A lage hispanic population (in texas). A hotbed for conservatism as well as evangelicalism. Still prevalent racism. The south tends to like executions, and dislike abortions(due to their very conservative christian fundamentalism). My impressions of the south: People can be nice, but over all its a pretty sick culture. It seems lots of people are depressed and angry and sit at home or just do drugs. Of course there are exceptions to this and there are amazing people in the south. Just like everywhere else.

The Midwest:

People in the midwest tend to be boring, yet intelligent, clean, and efficient. For the most part they dont seem to be very hip or up to standard on whats going on in the world. Most people are very nice. There is mainly Protestand Christianity that is less radical than in the south. This is also probably the least racially diverse part of the county.

The West Coast:

Much more modern than the south or midwest. Large Mexican and Asian immigrant populations. More liberal than the south and midwest.

Mountain states: (New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado)

These states are widely open sparsely populated and contain amazing mountains deserts, and other natural features. The people are a mix of conservative "rednecks" and more liberal Yuppies and Hippies. There are many areas and towns that center around a mountain culture and lifestyle of skiing and the outdoors. Not that big on execution, and dont care that much about abortion. (there is of course the Mormon population in Salt Lake City Utah, that is widely different from what I just described)

East cost:

More educated and densely populated. I cant comment much on the east cause I have only been there once. It seems to be pretty racially diverse.

Of course all these are generalizations and I could go on for hours. There are always different cultures and things going on in these places but this is the overall impression I get.

P.S. Living in one of the mountain states, there is a significant mexican and asian population, but Black people are really rare. Out of 1200 people in my high school I think there is 2 or 3 black people. seeing a black person on the street is very rare, its weird and almost surprising. Interesting is the fact that racism towards blacks seems to be almost non-existant here. There is however, lots of racism towards Mexicans.

THE NORTH WEST

Majority of northwest is liberal, we got microsoft and amazon, paul allen, bill gates, and jimi hendrix.

Lots of wilderness, lots of rain, we have the Cascade mountains, and rain forests.

Religeon is primarily christian, its like that in most of america, besides Utah(mid-west) Lots of mormons there.

Pro-abortion, execution is fronwed upon i would say, but we still have it.

Primarily whites, and asains. But theres all types of people all around.

We just got open minds out here, we all hate bush.:king:

"anglotown"

HAHA

--------------------------

much of the general diffs can be gleaned by each states Historical voting records as well with the break up of red and blue states.

get into it more later

hev/P++;

edit for nonsensicle typos and such

Archived