help me buy an SLR!

styxx119

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

screw that hi tech shit.

go to a camera shop and get a simple old manual camera. none of that automatic focus shit.

you should be able to get a camera and 2 or 3 lenses for yoru $300.

personally, i'm a fan of the minolta, but most of the old ones are pretty similar.

Guest imported_Tesseract

True that, however these cameras new are more expensive. The FM3 (nikons last full old style manual in production) comes to 500 with no lens, if i'm not mistaken...of course, give that these cameras are close to unberakable you could easily cope a used one on ebay for dirtcheap

if you want a good solid manual SLR to learn photography on, get an FE2 and a good prime. I'm fucking thrilled with mine. you should be able to get one and a 35mm or 50mm prime for around $300 US. check ebay for instance:

http://search.ebay.com/fe2_35mm-SLR_W0QQca...acategoryZ15303

just be careful buying from there, its best to use as a price guide really. unless you know cameras.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

minolta maxxum 5. i got mine a few months back, now they have a new model out, so 5's are dirt cheap. check ebay, i think my old man was looking to pick one up and bid 102 on one, but didnt meet the minimum asking price of 110, even though he was top bidder.

its suited me well

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006LIN8.01.PT01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

I've been using a Minolta SRT202(manual says it was purchused october 1978.) for a good 5 or 6 years. But the light meter just went and dude at the camera store said it wasn't worth fixing. Plus the color balance was a little fucked. Thing is built like a tank though.

I just bought a Nikon N75. It was $270 with a 28mm-50mm(wide to standard) lens from http://www.bhphoto.com I needed a new camera for school. So far I couldn't be happier thing does everything my minolta can do plus more and it didn't cost and arm and a leg. THe only problem I had with it is the weight. The body is entire plastic as with the mintola the whole thing was metal and was pretty much a brick. I bought the MB-19 Battery Pack/Vertical Grip for like $35. It holds 4 AA batteries which give you like almost three times has much shutter time as the regular battery but most importantly it gives the camera pretty decent weight to it.

I couldn't be happier with it.

If you want to be lazy go for the digital shutter and apeture crap. If you honestly want to learn how to use a camera get an older fully manual camera. Once you learn feel free to move about with the automatic functioning crap.

On a side note:

Yo, light meters fucking suck. I need a light meter for school that has to read bother strobe and ambient. They're like $350 new! What is that shit? That's more than my camera. I bought one used for like $200 and I still don't see the point of it. Anyone want to help me out here?

Archived