Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

help identifying this doohicky

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by Swiffer Jet, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

i was wondering if anybody can identify what this is. blah.

http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v35/swif1/csx.jpg

it was in the same line as the SCL (CSX stamped now) carrying sulfur, i believe

i don't know that much about freights and what-have-yous, but input is appreciated. thanks

2. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

it just looks like a run of the mill covered hopper. its hard to tell with such a tiny photo. any unusual markings on it or anything?

3. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

i'm sure there wasn't any unusual markings. i'll try to get better flicks later this week.

4. type R

type R Senior Member

looks like a plain covered hopper. maybe if you had end shots or something...

5. Bosco

Bosco Member

I've never seen anything like that before...was their a whole line of them? What area are you in? That can help greatly as to determining what that car is and what it is used for...

6. porque

porque Senior Member

...covered wood-chip gondola?...

...your flick is really small so it's hard to tell...was the car big?...

7. .:wizo:cdc:.

.:wizo:cdc:. New Jack

i didnt want to start a thread about this, but this thread has some quite educated responses, i just want to know where you people such as bosco learned sooooooooooo much about trains, i really would like to learn a lot about trains like you have done, so uh yea, if yall wanna email me or contact me on aim..or just leave a message on here...

otrfatcap@yahoo.com

dkpunklifeaf - im on that sn more then the other one..
    otrfatcap - i get on this sn sometimes...
    both of those are for aim, please drop a line..

8. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

yeah, it was a very long line. it's parked in a very industrial part of where i live.

9. podrido

podrido Veteran Member

:eek: those be covered hoppers son

10. rob deer

rob deer Guest

woodchips sound right to me, but that's cause I'm from a woodchip part of the country, at the same time it's far far away from csx land. if it was sulfur you'd be able to smell it right?

11. Bosco

Bosco Member

The car looks like it has some sort of roof on it, woodchips cars have open tops for easy loading. I can't tell if their are hatchs at the bottom for whatever that car is carrying. If it was for woodchips, and their are no hatchs on the bottom, the car would have to have rotarty couplers at one end for the tilting machine at the paper plant. Since the cars were spotted in a unit train this could be possible, but the thing on top looks like a roof, leading me to believe the car is for something else. Wood chip cars are much bigger. Whatever it is, it was built in CSX shops for some kind of specific purpose...You got another flick?

12. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Plastic pellets?

They manufacture a lot of plastic pellets down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, and they are usually shipped in standard ACF bottom-gate grainers, and loaded through the top with a gravity fed pipe or blown in. No idea what this hi-cube hopper car might be for, if not wood chips. Maybe plastic pellets or something similar? Are there any petrochemical plants near wherethis rail line is?

13. soneMILWwi

soneMILWwi Guest

looks like some extended height garbage holder train... but thats just me...

14. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

yes, i plan to get better flicks this friday. thanks for the help!

15. IRON HEAD

IRON HEAD Senior Member

Sulfur smells like shit...