help identifying this doohicky

Swiffer Jet

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i didnt want to start a thread about this, but this thread has some quite educated responses, i just want to know where you people such as bosco learned sooooooooooo much about trains, i really would like to learn a lot about trains like you have done, so uh yea, if yall wanna email me or contact me on aim..or just leave a message on here...

otrfatcap@yahoo.com

dkpunklifeaf - im on that sn more then the other one..

otrfatcap - i get on this sn sometimes...

both of those are for aim, please drop a line..

Originally posted by Bosco

I've never seen anything like that before...was their a whole line of them? What area are you in? That can help greatly as to determining what that car is and what it is used for...

yeah, it was a very long line. it's parked in a very industrial part of where i live.

Guest rob deer

woodchips sound right to me, but that's cause I'm from a woodchip part of the country, at the same time it's far far away from csx land. if it was sulfur you'd be able to smell it right?

The car looks like it has some sort of roof on it, woodchips cars have open tops for easy loading. I can't tell if their are hatchs at the bottom for whatever that car is carrying. If it was for woodchips, and their are no hatchs on the bottom, the car would have to have rotarty couplers at one end for the tilting machine at the paper plant. Since the cars were spotted in a unit train this could be possible, but the thing on top looks like a roof, leading me to believe the car is for something else. Wood chip cars are much bigger. Whatever it is, it was built in CSX shops for some kind of specific purpose...You got another flick?

Plastic pellets?

They manufacture a lot of plastic pellets down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, and they are usually shipped in standard ACF bottom-gate grainers, and loaded through the top with a gravity fed pipe or blown in. No idea what this hi-cube hopper car might be for, if not wood chips. Maybe plastic pellets or something similar? Are there any petrochemical plants near wherethis rail line is?

That looks like a covered woodchip car to me, but I couldn't say for sure.

I doubt it's sulfur. Sulfur is a hazardous material (UN 2448) and is usually shipped molten in tank cars. Of course I haven't traveled the US freight system extensively enough to know everything; one thing I've learned in my travels is that there can be some unique, localized oddities you won't see anywhere else in the country.