HELP I WANT TO BUY A TURNTABLE!

Comp

i'm looking to buy a turntable, yes just one, i just want it to play records. i don't need any fancy slipmats or scractcha tatcha stuff, just so i can play my records. what are some good brands and should i look for a direct driven one as opposed to a belt driven one (i think it's quite apparent i don't know anyhting about this shit, feel free to make fun of me as long as you answer my questions).

where should i look? if i'm on ebay is there particular brand/model i should look for, i don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but i don't want to buy something that's crap. thanks for the help guys!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

go down to the local pawn shop, im sure there wood be one there for u to play records on. nothing special but itll do the job

Guest Melburnian

Ask your parents they'll have one. or even grandparents. Any older relative. Just be careful of the stories they will tell.

parents got rid of theirs like 5 years ago, and i doubt my grandparents would keep any of their electronics in any sort of good shape. i am trying to ask some of my relatives, but i want to know what to look for in terms of getting one.

ebay, garage sales, pawn shops, goodwill, neighbor's attic...

if you're not scratching or nothing you don't need to worry about how quick the wheel gets back up to speed, doesn't matter if it's direct link or cable drive, blah blah blah... any old fucker should do the job, and with a nice needle almost any record player can sound damn good... i've been through 5 turntables since i started collecting and i've never paid more than $40 for one... i've shelled out a bit for needles a couple times but that's it... the one i currently have is some no name brand and was given to me by my grandfather, and it's the nicest one i've ever owned... and i get complements on how good it sounds all the time from "profeesional dj's" with 1200's and fancy ass battle cartridges...

I got my old record player at a garage sale for 5$ (3$ US) and he was the sweetest thing ever. His name was Hank. To be honest-record players a lot of time are luck of the draw. Some no name ones are amazing, other brand name ones suck. It's more the needle than the actual player. Buy a cheap player, get a pair of nice needles.

Guest sneak

i was bout to say 1210's if you were djing, but for just the one, head down to argos (or the equivilent) and buy a cheap one

are you people not listening ????

he doesn't want tech12's.

he just wants to play records.

If you dont need to back cue, then dont waste the $$$

you can get a decent player for well under $100 at the pawn shop.

Just make sure that the stylus and cartridge looks clean.

It wouldn't hurt to play a record in the shop to test it out.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

i have a bad ass portable record player. it LOOKS like a suitcase, but open it up and youve got the speakers AND the turntable, all ready for a record. i thinks its from the seventies.

Guest Dr. Drew

you can get brand new ones at circuit city or sears. pioneer, technics, etc... usually between $75-$150. if you don't see on eon display at circuit city, just ask, they will order it for you. i'd get a belt driven one, because its easier to fix yourself when there's only one gear. direct drive has a couple of sprockets and stuff, more complex to repair. thats my advice. the reason i would buy a new one is because older ones wont have repalcable needles, you could buy a good stylus, but it would be hard to retrofit onto an older needle arm. just go with a new one.

• 4 years later...
i'm looking to buy a turntable, yes just one, i just want it to play records. i don't need any fancy slipmats or scractcha tatcha stuff, just so i can play my records. what are some good brands and should i look for a direct driven one as opposed to a belt driven one (i think it's quite apparent i don't know anyhting about this shit, feel free to make fun of me as long as you answer my questions).

where should i look? if i'm on ebay is there particular brand/model i should look for, i don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but i don't want to buy something that's crap. thanks for the help guys!

look in your want ads for a Technic, or Gemini

Archived