Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

HELP I WANT TO BUY A TURNTABLE!

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Comp, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Comp

Comp Senior Member

i'm looking to buy a turntable, yes just one, i just want it to play records. i don't need any fancy slipmats or scractcha tatcha stuff, just so i can play my records. what are some good brands and should i look for a direct driven one as opposed to a belt driven one (i think it's quite apparent i don't know anyhting about this shit, feel free to make fun of me as long as you answer my questions).

where should i look? if i'm on ebay is there particular brand/model i should look for, i don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but i don't want to buy something that's crap. thanks for the help guys!

2. krie

krie Guest

go down to the local pawn shop, im sure there wood be one there for u to play records on. nothing special but itll do the job

3. FR8HOUND

FR8HOUND Dirty Dozen Crew

there is only 1 turntable in mind...technics 1200 mk2..stanton, vestax, and numark, also make 1/2 decent turntables..i use to dj, so i swear by the technics...price new? = $399.00

4. Comp

Comp Senior Member

hahaha 400 is like, way out of my range, i just want something that works, plays records and won't mess 'em up.

5. Melburnian

Melburnian Guest

Ask your parents they'll have one. or even grandparents. Any older relative. Just be careful of the stories they will tell.

6. Comp

Comp Senior Member

parents got rid of theirs like 5 years ago, and i doubt my grandparents would keep any of their electronics in any sort of good shape. i am trying to ask some of my relatives, but i want to know what to look for in terms of getting one.

7. Melburnian

Melburnian Guest

trading post is the answer.

8. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

ebay, garage sales, pawn shops, goodwill, neighbor's attic...
    if you're not scratching or nothing you don't need to worry about how quick the wheel gets back up to speed, doesn't matter if it's direct link or cable drive, blah blah blah... any old fucker should do the job, and with a nice needle almost any record player can sound damn good... i've been through 5 turntables since i started collecting and i've never paid more than $40 for one... i've shelled out a bit for needles a couple times but that's it... the one i currently have is some no name brand and was given to me by my grandfather, and it's the nicest one i've ever owned... and i get complements on how good it sounds all the time from "profeesional dj's" with 1200's and fancy ass battle cartridges...

9. ana

ana Junior Member

I got my old record player at a garage sale for 5$ (3$ US) and he was the sweetest thing ever. His name was Hank. To be honest-record players a lot of time are luck of the draw. Some no name ones are amazing, other brand name ones suck. It's more the needle than the actual player. Buy a cheap player, get a pair of nice needles.

10. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

pawn shop all the way

11. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

i got mine at a thrift store. granted, it cant be on for longer than 30 minutes at a time otherwise it smells like burning... but what records do you know of that hold a full 1/2 hour of music on them?

12. kido

kido Senior Member

ride around on junk day this is how i found mine

13. sneak

sneak Guest

i was bout to say 1210's if you were djing, but for just the one, head down to argos (or the equivilent) and buy a cheap one

14. westy

westy Guest

mmmmmmm

SL-1210MK2's......black, nuff said.

15. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

are you people not listening ????

he doesn't want tech12's.
    he just wants to play records.
    If you dont need to back cue, then dont waste the $$$

you can get a decent player for well under $100 at the pawn shop.
    Just make sure that the stylus and cartridge looks clean.
    It wouldn't hurt to play a record in the shop to test it out.