help a poor boy out, anthropology project

Guest serpent of the light

i'm not sure which forum to throw this in

so next week i have to give a 10-15 minute presentation about graffiti from an anthropological viewpoint. obviously i've got my key points based in: history, tools, and general culture. the history aspect i've got covered, tools will be easy, but the culture aspect is a little hazey. what do you guys think i ought to include in this?

also, does anybody know anything about roman graffiti or any shit before the 60's.

any good links on any aspect will be appreciated. thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest jeff123456
Originally posted by serpent of the light

i'm not sure which forum to throw this in

so next week i have to give a 10-15 minute presentation about graffiti from an anthropological viewpoint. obviously i've got my key points based in: history, tools, and general culture. the history aspect i've got covered, tools will be easy, but the culture aspect is a little hazey. what do you guys think i ought to include in this?

also, does anybody know anything about roman graffiti or any shit before the 60's.

any good links on any aspect will be appreciated. thanks

lol i dont know why ppl always think that there was roman graffiti.. there was NO roman graffiti... they didnt have markers or spray paint cans...

do u think they ran around with a chizle and a hammer and carved there tags on the wall and then when they got caught they would get there hands cut off..lol.. i dont think so

i did a 2 year study or rome and greece and all of that area and there was no talk about graffiti

Guest -MOE LESTER-

Re: Re: help a poor boy out, anthropology project

Originally posted by jeff123456

do u think they ran around with a chizle and a hammer and carved there tags on the wall and then when they got caught they would get there hands cut off..lol.. i dont think so

hahahaha i can imagine a bunch of teenage romans, hiding graffiti tools and shit in their togas running around the city...ahahhahaah thats fuckin funny as hell....

Roman Graffiti...

Originally posted by jeff123456

lol i dont know why ppl always think that there was roman graffiti.. there was NO roman graffiti... they didnt have markers or spray paint cans...

i did a 2 year study or rome and greece and all of that area and there was no talk about graffiti

I don't know what you were studying for 2 years but it obviously left out some info..

Romans did do graffiti. For a fact they did. Where do you think the word graffiti comes from?? Graffito is Latin. Their graffiti wasn't like some little dudes running around tagging like "Tacitus Roman Crew" or some shit like that. Their graffiti was mostly political and they got paid to do it! They'd go around with,yes.. hammers and chisels and etch that shit into walls around the towns. They'd put up all kinds of shit dissing the other candidates for whatever they were running for. And they'd put up stuff saying how their guy was good etc.. I don't know if they did anything with paint.. I'm sure they did. It makes sense.

People also put up jokes and other stuff like you might find in a bathroom or something. I know a couple of sites about other graffiti I will be back to post them. Gotta find them again.

No Roman graffiti.Hah.

Guest -MOE LESTER-

they didnt even have paint back then...it was all etch and maybe some red dye made from shit like goats blood, juices, burnt shit, etc

Guest jeff123456

go to art crimes they have tons of info about graffiti, how it started, the history of it.. etc..

thanks WITS, my presentation went wonderfully. it was supposed to be 10-15 minutes, but my teacher was really really into it and kept asking questions and i was in front of the class for 35 minutes talking about everything i know about graffiti. and after class she asked if we could talk another time about it, she wants to learn how, haha. she's one of those crazy teachers who i think is drunk half of the time during class. but yeah, thanks for the help on the ancient aspect.

Guest whoami
Originally posted by serpent of the light

thanks WITS, my presentation went wonderfully. it was supposed to be 10-15 minutes, but my teacher was really really into it and kept asking questions and i was in front of the class for 35 minutes talking about everything i know about graffiti. and after class she asked if we could talk another time about it, she wants to learn how, haha. she's one of those crazy teachers who i think is drunk half of the time during class. but yeah, thanks for the help on the ancient aspect.

if shes hot bang her....

dude, she's 57 and retiring this year... that's just atrocious, she was however a playboy bunny back in the day...

well graffiti is prolly from a cultural point of veiw like a sect isnt it? in that its exclusive and you have to be in it to know what its all about. also you will prolly have to meet another person that does graffiti. im sure when every one started there was some one, no matter what relation to you or whatever they influenced you in a way. graffiti is nowa days is like an exclusive country club.

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by crackatinnie

[bgraffiti is nowa days is like an exclusive country club. [/b]

You mean it's full of white middle class types, like a country club?

to serpent of the light:

everyone now knows you write.

i did a little report or whatever on graffiti back in grade school, then everyone knew my name. after that, theyd come into school the next day and be like "HEY! I saw your stuff on the side of my dads building!!!"

that changed my way of telling people i write. whether its a report or whatever, people get the assumption that your a little graffiti tagger.

...or maybe not.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks

to serpent of the light:

everyone now knows you write.

i did a little report or whatever on graffiti back in grade school, then everyone knew my name. after that, theyd come into school the next day and be like "HEY! I saw your stuff on the side of my dads building!!!"

that changed my way of telling people i write. whether its a report or whatever, people get the assumption that your a little graffiti tagger.

...or maybe not.

i knew that when i chose graff as my topic, but thats a risk i was willing to take. i'm out of this school in 3 days, and nobody knows my what i write, its not worrying me in the slightest.

Archived