1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

help a poor boy out, anthropology project

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by serpent of the light, May 18, 2002.

1. help a poor boy out, anthropology project

Discussion started by serpent of the light - May 18, 2002

i'm not sure which forum to throw this in

so next week i have to give a 10-15 minute presentation about graffiti from an anthropological viewpoint. obviously i've got my key points based in: history, tools, and general culture. the history aspect i've got covered, tools will be easy, but the culture aspect is a little hazey. what do you guys think i ought to include in this?

also, does anybody know anything about roman graffiti or any shit before the 60's.

any good links on any aspect will be appreciated. thanks

2. jeff123456

jeff123456 Guest

jeff123456 - Replied May 18, 2002

lol i dont know why ppl always think that there was roman graffiti.. there was NO roman graffiti... they didnt have markers or spray paint cans...

do u think they ran around with a chizle and a hammer and carved there tags on the wall and then when they got caught they would get there hands cut off..lol.. i dont think so

i did a 2 year study or rome and greece and all of that area and there was no talk about graffiti

3. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

Fox Mulder - Replied May 18, 2002

umm they had oil paint didn't they? and when we study modern history during the 1970-80's there was no mention of graffiti in my history class either.

Fox Mulder - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  4. serpent of the light - Replied May 19, 2002

5. -MOE LESTER-

-MOE LESTER- Guest

-MOE LESTER- - Replied May 19, 2002

Re: Re: help a poor boy out, anthropology project

hahahaha i can imagine a bunch of teenage romans, hiding graffiti tools and shit in their togas running around the city...ahahhahaah thats fuckin funny as hell....

6. WITS

WITS 12oz Member

WITS - Replied May 19, 2002

Roman Graffiti...

I don't know what you were studying for 2 years but it obviously left out some info..
    Romans did do graffiti. For a fact they did. Where do you think the word graffiti comes from?? Graffito is Latin. Their graffiti wasn't like some little dudes running around tagging like "Tacitus Roman Crew" or some shit like that. Their graffiti was mostly political and they got paid to do it! They'd go around with,yes.. hammers and chisels and etch that shit into walls around the towns. They'd put up all kinds of shit dissing the other candidates for whatever they were running for. And they'd put up stuff saying how their guy was good etc.. I don't know if they did anything with paint.. I'm sure they did. It makes sense.
    People also put up jokes and other stuff like you might find in a bathroom or something. I know a couple of sites about other graffiti I will be back to post them. Gotta find them again.

No Roman graffiti.Hah.

WITS - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. WITS

WITS 12oz Member

8. serpent of the light - Replied May 19, 2002

yeah man, thanks a lot. rather helpful.

9. -MOE LESTER-

-MOE LESTER- Guest

-MOE LESTER- - Replied May 20, 2002

they didnt even have paint back then...it was all etch and maybe some red dye made from shit like goats blood, juices, burnt shit, etc

10. jeff123456

jeff123456 Guest

jeff123456 - Replied May 20, 2002

go to art crimes they have tons of info about graffiti, how it started, the history of it.. etc..

11. serpent of the light - Replied May 26, 2002

thanks WITS, my presentation went wonderfully. it was supposed to be 10-15 minutes, but my teacher was really really into it and kept asking questions and i was in front of the class for 35 minutes talking about everything i know about graffiti. and after class she asked if we could talk another time about it, she wants to learn how, haha. she's one of those crazy teachers who i think is drunk half of the time during class. but yeah, thanks for the help on the ancient aspect.

12. whoami

whoami Guest

whoami - Replied May 26, 2002

if shes hot bang her....

13. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

metallix - Replied May 26, 2002

sounds like she wants you

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. serpent of the light - Replied May 27, 2002

dude, she's 57 and retiring this year... that's just atrocious, she was however a playboy bunny back in the day...