1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

HAZE

Discussion in 'Style' started by The Hipster, May 2, 2005.

1. The Hipster

The Hipster 12oz Member

HAZE

Discussion started by The Hipster - May 2, 2005

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    haze x adidas

The Hipster - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  2. sarcasm

sarcasm 12oz Elite Member

sarcasm - Replied May 2, 2005

those are fucking ill

i loved adidas since the day i wore sambas and skated in them in '95

sarcasm - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. The Hipster

The Hipster 12oz Member

The Hipster - Replied May 2, 2005

The most obvious thread of my work is the written word exploring the restraints and lack of restraints in letter forms. In all my work-as a graffiti artist, designer, and creative director of my own brand-there is an endless exploration of the means and styles to express oneself through the written word." --Eric Haze

Graphic design and graffiti legend Haze wouldn't be where he is now if he hadn't been living in New York City in the early '70s at the dawn of hip-hop. And it's even more specific than that: Haze lived on the subway line that follows Broadway from the top to the bottom of Manhattan--the line where hip-hop graffiti was born.

"I loved the trains even before graffiti," says Haze. "I used to drag my mother to the front of the car and glue myself to the front window. As soon as my friends and I saw our first tag we knew we had to be a part of it. It was automatic."

Haze's original love of graffiti eventually led him to pursue fine art, graphic design, logo design, clothing design and, most recently, product design. In the summer of 2003, more than 30 years after he first started tagging, Haze released an online archive of his work on interhaze.com. The website includes images of Beastie Boy album covers; logos for Club MTV, LL Cool J and Tommy Boy; photos of his graffiti work; pictures of the Honda motorcycle and chair he designed; and the new limited-edition shoes he recently customized for Nike.

Haze's clean assertive style and constant experimentation with new mediums have inspired some of the other top graffiti artists, clothing designers, graphic designers and fine artists today. Here is what some of them have to say about him:

Casey Zoltan
    Graffiti artist, graphic designer, clothing label The Seventh Letter
    Haze was a throw up king. He was also one of the first graffiti writers to get paid as a graphic designer. What I admire about the dude is his eye for simplicity. He knows what works. He doesn't have to camouflage it. His **** is right there in your face.

Steve Schwartz
    Artist
    I've known Haze since 1987. I had one of the first skateboard stores in New York called SkateNYC. He wanted to get into the clothing scene so he came by the store and showed us a T-shirt with his name in the Batman logo. We'd never seen anything like it. I learned from him that graphics are minimalist art-everything is so simple, just paired down to a simple essence.

Andy Howell
    Painter, creative designer, graphic designer, product designer, illustrator, former pro-skater, ad agency Imagewerks
    Haze was one of the early guys who inspired us to push ourselves to do everything. When he did EPMD and Def Jam and the old logos, that is the stuff that drove me and a lot of people on the East Coast. He definitely inspired a lot of people in our generation.

Mr. Cartoon
    Tattoo artist
    I saw Haze the other day at a Seventh Letter art show and we were talking about how times have changed. Things are different right now, it's laid out for kids if they want to start a clothing company and do art. We met in the early '90s, and it was a weird time there were no clothing companies like Sean John or Roc-A-Wear. We had never seen any urban embroidery on clothes before. Then Haze came in and he put his twist on clothes the way he liked it. It was a whole revolution right then. Now they have Phat Farm for kids and these kids are rocking crazy denim outfits. There aren't too many people who can compare themselves to Haze or can say they understand the hard work it took for him to get where he is. And the thing about Haze is he has quality control in his head and a lot of that is due to the street. He has influenced me in the way he brands himself and the way he never stopped putting himself out there. He doesn't overexpose himself, but when he does come out he surprises you-a pair of shoes, a hand painted box. And it's inspiring to see how far he goes back. It's good to see someone doing it longer than me.

Arnold Espiritu
    Clothing designer, clothing store Grey One
    I look at Haze as a pioneer in the industry. Knowing him, and actually working for him at one point, it was an honor. I got to know him in the early '90s when I was working retail at Union and I got to see how pioneers such as Haze, Stash, Zeffler, Futura and a couple of other graffiti heads were putting out clothing lines and representing who they were and what graffiti was about. One thing about kids is there are very few who will rise to the occasion and shine and show a whole new dimension, but Haze is one of those guys. He was there at the beginning of this movement, people don't realize that the simple back then was so complex.

Dez
    Graphic designer, animator
    He is one of the guys who is responsible for breaking into the urban art gallery scene and covering all aspects of graphic design. He was an influence as a person who started out as a graffiti artist and then started doing graphic design. I think his style is the essence of what graffiti was in the beginning-the clean hand style. His hand style is the essence of urban tagging.

Saber
    Multimedia artist
    Haze is an important role model for all of us. Basically he carries on the old lineage and the old ways of doing things that were important to our foundation, and he brought that with him from New York to the West Coast when he moved to LA in the early '90s. He has shown us a way to be successful after being hardcore graffiti artists, and he carries a lot of history with him. He knows I'm part of the future and that I'm on some ultra-progressive style, but without him I wouldn't be here. He built those letter structures that a lot of us use today. He and others built the blueprints.

Kent Parker
    Artist, graphic designer
    I first heard of Haze back in '88 or '89 when I was doing a lot of underground hip-hop clubs. I knew him because he was a graphic hip-hop legend. I don't think there was a hip-hop label he didn't do at that time. I would just sit in the DJ booth looking at all his logos. Ten years later I finally met him. He's the man. We always talk about the days when he hung out with Keith Haring and Basquiat. I always drill him about it and because we're friends, he puts up with me. He turned his tag into a brand, that's amazing, you know?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The Hipster

The Hipster 12oz Member

haze x nike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. The Hipster

The Hipster 12oz Member

for a show with www.kidrobot.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 Haze
    As a founding member of The Soul Artists, Eric Haze was an essential part of the collective of artists that brought graffiti as an art form into the arena of art galleries and media consideration. Upon founding his New York based design studio in 1984, Haze went on to design and produce a wide range of works in the hip-hop and entertainment communities. In 1991 Haze moved his base of operations to Los Angeles where, alongside his design studio, he founded his current eponymous clothing company Haze. Haze has also produced limited editions of jewelry, furniture, posters, skateboards and accessories

6. The Hipster

The Hipster 12oz Member

[​IMG]

7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied May 2, 2005

those black on black adidas are gorgeous. the car is funny as hell. it looks like something a superhero would drive

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  8. Nekro

Nekro 12oz Elite Member

Nekro - Replied May 2, 2005

I definitely approve of that car, especially the interior and specially designed, custom glass rims.

Nekro - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. Gates

Gates 12oz Member

Gates - Replied May 3, 2005

those high top nikes are beast

Gates - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. sans sheriff

sans sheriff 12oz Senior Member

sans sheriff - Replied May 3, 2005

I saw that Haze Scion in person.
    It's fucking ill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note the Haze interior repeating pattern.
    Upside down OR rightside up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sans sheriff - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. sans sheriff

sans sheriff 12oz Senior Member

sans sheriff - Replied May 3, 2005

In the pictures before my post, there are bland tires.. when I saw the tC at the Philly Auto show it had these puppies:

[​IMG]

More about the car...

The vehicle that seemed to produce the strongest reaction amongst online forums visitors on the Internet was the Scion tC designed by Eric Haze. Eric has done quite a few significant design projects. The tC was painted pretty much in black and white, but still manages jump at you like some sort of Escher print. You know you are dealing with a designer with serious clout when the project vehicle has custom tires designed by Haze and manufactured by Yokohama. Reactions online have ranged from "Yuck!" to "its beautiful." You'll have to decide for yourself, but it's clear that it pushes some traditional concepts of what a custom paint job should look like.

Here is Scion's unofficial description of the vehicle:

Haze grew up at the beginning of the hip-hop era, on the subway line that runs from Broadway to Manhattan. The subway's influence can be seen in his constant experimentation and expression of the written word. Haze's projects include logos, album covers for artists such as the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J, limited-edition shoes for Nike, his line of streetwear and furniture.

The vehicle is definitely different. Isn't that what Scion is all about? It's the "magic" and "uniqueness" that Mr. Farley refers to. If you look at all of Scion's marketing literature, the emphasis is urban lifestyle and self expression. In that theme, this tC fits right in.

Custom paint scheme by Eric Haze
    Racing seats by APC
    Two 10" subwoofers by Bazooka
    Bazooka 85x4 and 1000x1 amplifiers
    6" Bazooka coax speakers
    3 color carbon fiber interior by Enduratex
    Custom Haze designed tires by Yokohama

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sans sheriff - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. The Hipster

The Hipster 12oz Member

The Hipster - Replied May 3, 2005

bump grate post!

13. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

imported_b0b - Replied May 4, 2005

woah for those tires.. What were the original Haze tee shirts like? Anyone got some history on the Haze clothes line?

14. imported_sofarok - Replied May 8, 2005

those adidas arnt actually anything to do with haze, but tbecause of there similarity to the dunks he did they were posted on a few sites as haze bites etc....what i loved about the dunks is that every pair was hand painted with an air brush!!

15. -40 trooper

-40 trooper Guest

-40 trooper - Replied May 10, 2005

that car looks wack and so does the sneakers