Hate Crimes in Paris.

MAR

Hate.

Killing in France Seen as 'Wake-Up Call'

Anti-Semitism Blamed in Kidnapping, Torture of 23-Year-Old Salesman

By Molly Moore

Washington Post Foreign Service

Saturday, February 25, 2006; Page A10

PARIS, Feb. 24 -- One day last month, a young woman entered the Paris mobile phone shop where Ilan Halimi worked. She had no interest in a new phone, according to Paris police. She wanted to flirt with the 23-year-old salesman. She left the shop with Halimi's cell phone number, and soon after, the two arranged a date.

Last week, French police found Halimi -- the son of Jewish Moroccan immigrants -- near a railroad track in a southern Parisian suburb. His naked body was covered with cigarette burns and he was handcuffed. He died in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.

French police initially described the brutal kidnapping and killing as a crime-for-cash perpetrated by a gang calling itself "The Barbarians." It routinely used young women to lure unsuspecting victims.

But in ensuing days, family members, Jewish organizations and a French magistrate labeled the killing a hate crime, directed against Halimi because of his religion. Many have cited the torture and reports that the gang's suspected leader was later arrested in a Muslim neighborhood in Ivory Coast, in West Africa.

In a country that experienced a surge in anti-Semitic attacks, most of them blamed on Muslims, in the first years of the current Palestinian uprising against Israel, top politicians have rallied to publicly condemn the crime. Dozens of national leaders, including President Jacques Chirac, crowded into a memorial service for Halimi at a Paris synagogue Thursday night.

"The truth is that these hoodlums first of all acted for villainous and sordid reasons -- money," Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy told French legislators this week. "But they had the belief, and I quote, that 'Jews have money,' " he said, referring to police interrogations of two people accused of involvement in the kidnapping.

The crime has incited outrage among Jews across France. Many fear that animosities simmering below the surface of a divided French society could easily reignite. There are about 6 million Muslims in France and 600,000 Jews.

"Ilan's death may be an isolated action, but it is also a wake-up call," said Sarah Aizenman, a representative of the French Union of Jewish Students. She said anti-Semitic crime has declined in France in recent months but threatens to rise again.

"The engine wasn't anti-Semitism, but the fuel certainly was," said Michel Wieviorka, author of the recent book "The Anti-Semitic Temptation: The Hatred of Jews in Today's France."

"It was based on the idea that the Jews are wealthy, and that if the boy doesn't pay, the community will," Wieviorka said.

Ruth Halimi, the victim's mother, told the Israeli newspaper Haaretz, "If Ilan hadn't been Jewish he wouldn't have been murdered."

She said she last saw her son alive on Friday, Jan. 20, as he was leaving for a date with the woman who had come into his shop. "On Saturday night, he called and said he had been kidnapped and asked us to check our e-mail," Halimi said. A message there included a photograph of Ilan, blindfolded and with a gun pointed at his head. The text read, "450,000 euros or call the funeral home," she said. That sum is equal to about $540,000.

Over the next three weeks, the kidnappers negotiated with Ilan's family members. Halimi told Haaretz that on instructions from the police, the family stopped answering telephone calls and text messages from the kidnappers in order to force them to use e-mail that might be tracked to Internet cafes from which they transmitted messages. The ransom demand eventually dropped to 5,000 euros, or about $6,000, French newspapers have reported. It is unclear what ultimately prompted the kidnappers to dump their dying captive.

The suspected gang leader, Youssouf Fofana, 26, fled France and was arrested Wednesday in Ivory Coast. Police have detained 16 other people for questioning in connection with the case.

The members of the group have a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds, French police said. But most appear to be residents of the same low-income housing project in the suburb of Bagneux, southwest of Paris.

A rash of arson incidents and clashes with police erupted across the Paris suburbs last fall, spreading to virtually every town in France. Much of France's immigrant populations and their children live in suburban housing built by the government.

With high unemployment and crime and substandard living conditions, the youth populating the suburbs have become increasingly angry. Although last fall's violence had no overt religious overtones, many of the rebellious youth were Muslims.

French officials and Jewish leaders have been hesitant to allege that the killing was solely an act of anti-Semitism. "The question is, what kind of anti-Semitism are we talking about?" said Michel Serfaty, a rabbi at the synagogue in the Paris suburb of Ris-Orangis and an activist promoting Jewish-Muslim dialogue.

"It's a combination of gangsterism, villainy and old cliches where Jews mean money," Serfaty said. "It's young people of all origins in the suburbs expressing their resentment: 'The Jews are rich and they don't share it with us. They're smart and we don't have jobs. They dominate the world and we have no power.' "

Emmanuel Weintraub, an official of the Representative Council of French Jewish Institutions, said the case reflects deeper troubles in French society. "There's something striking about this gang," he said. "It's a pretty big cross section of our multiethnic society. It's the story of a group of friends who went too far. It shows a far-reaching phenomenon of social decay."

Researcher Marie Valla contributed to this report

This is the most recent event. There have been more blatent attacks on Jewish people and Synogoges. French Jews are moving to Israel to escape the hate. One girl I met in Israel told me that most Jews are afraid to wear yarmulkas outside (headcovering) for fear of being harrassed or even attacked.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Damn, I'm so sick of everytime a "so called" muslim allegedly commits a crime they mention him as a "muslim" attempting to tie these crimes to a religion that is as far as the heavens and the earth from such a thing.

Why didn't they mention Timmy Mcveigh as a christian in the media? Or any person who commits a crime daily in a christian dominated county? why don't they mention them? What about when a hindu commits a crime, do they blame Hinduism for what he did?

and what was the need for this thread anyway?

I think I need to open a few threads .

This was a hate crime. The men, who's innitial intention was money, moved to tourture their prisoner because he was jewish. It could have been anyone; Christain, Muslim, whoever. But the focus, at least for me for posting this, was to show people that jews arent just paranoid, the hate still exists.

It's possible, it's also possible that he wouldn't give up the loot, so some punk stick-up kid was putting his cigarette butts out on him to get him to talk. maybe they knew he was jewish, maybe they didn't. I think It's a bit of a stretch to say for sure that this is a hate crime based on what i read.

It seems like they were trying to extort him.

even the article points out--------"French officials and Jewish leaders have been hesitant to allege that the killing was solely an act of anti-Semitism."

So, it couldv'e went either way...as long the story is used to further the hate and distrust of Muslims everything works out for whoever wants to spread that particualr brand of anti-semitism huh?

aren't arab muslims semites too? hmmmm,??

...wasnt solely an act of anti-Semitism.

this implies that the crime was a hate crime but their were other motivations.

why dont you man up? Say it was wrong, that they arent the good muslims and dont reflect the whole community, instead of making excuses.

Unless of course you think they were justified.

Originally posted by Dawood@Feb 25 2006, 11:55 PM

Damn, I'm so sick of everytime a "so called" muslim allegedly commits a crime they mention him as a "muslim" attempting to tie these crimes to a religion that is as far as the heavens and the earth from such a thing.

Why didn't they mention Timmy Mcveigh as a christian in the media? Or any person who commits a crime daily in a christian dominated county? why don't they mention them? What about when a hindu commits a crime, do they blame Hinduism for what he did?

Stay with me on this one dawood, its very simple. Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building because he disliked the federal government and wanted revenge for Waco Texas. Therefore, he is labeled a right wing extremist. When Al Qaeda suicide bombers blew themselves up in a wedding, it WAS because of religious beliefs. Therefore, they label them or any other terrorists who are religiously motivated as MUSLIM terrorists. That is also why the last words are always “Allah akbar.� They view what they are doing as a “jihad�. Do you remember that part of the Qu’ran? Something about a “holy war�? The 6th pillar of Islam I believe? Yeah, no religious implications there. Let’s just ignore why they are doing it...hell let's just ignore it all together. Probably just some jew trickery, like the holocaust(sarcasm, incase you didn't pick up on it)!

If a Jewish guy was to kill his roommate because he couldn’t find that ultra soft two ply silky TP, I’d be willing to bet he wouldn’t scream “Yahweh is the greatest dude!� The Christians who were stealing body parts weren’t quoting scriptures in the process. Do you get it now? A little bit simpler, it is because terrorism carried out by groups like Al Qaeda, or Abu Sayyaf, is directly caused by their religious beliefs as Muslims (regardless if you disagree as a moderate muslim). Cry me a river, my ISLAMIC MUSLIM internet friend.

Originally posted by Dawood+Feb 26 2006, 01:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dawood - Feb 26 2006, 01:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>maybe they knew he was jewish, maybe they didn't. I think It's a bit of a stretch to say for sure that this is a hate crime based on what i read.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Above Article@Feb 26 2006, 01:32 AM

"But they had the belief, and I quote, that 'Jews have money,' " he said, referring to police interrogations of two people accused of involvement in the kidnapping.

Originally posted by MAR@Feb 25 2006, 10:03 PM

Many have cited the torture and reports that the gang's suspected leader was later arrested in a Muslim neighborhood in Ivory Coast, in West Africa.

The members of the group have a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds, French police said.

Dawoo, you whine and whine and whine... but you CAN'T EVEN READ!

That first sentence is the ONLY time in the entire article where they even REMOTELY hint at the leaders religious faith... in fact they don't say. They merely characterize the neighborhood where he was arrested. For all you know he was caught because he was a christian walking around and sticking out among muslims. BUT NO! You wanna fucking punish ME and tell ME what's wrong with 'the media' because of YOUR ASSUMPTION?

And the second sentence just proves my point!

I can't believe you have such a huge chip on your shoulder that you have to try to hijack a story about Jewish victims and turn it into 'Muslims are victims of the media'... You didn't even have to come here in support of the jews, all you had to do was just sit there at home and not reply.

And you don't even have your facts straight!

You fail.

Originally posted by MAR@Feb 26 2006, 05:41 AM

...wasnt solely an act of anti-Semitism.

this implies that the crime was a hate crime but their were other motivations.

why dont you man up? Say it was wrong, that they arent the good muslims and dont reflect the whole community, instead of making excuses.

Unless of course you think they were justified.

of course I don't think they were justified...Of course it's wrong. What kind of a maniac do you think I am.?? I'm just saying, theres no reason to depict it as some sort of a religous Jihad when it was just some gangsters trying to extort him

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001+Feb 26 2006, 06:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stereotype V.001 - Feb 26 2006, 06:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Feb 25 2006, 11:55 PM

Stay with me on this one dawood, its very simple. Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building because he disliked the federal government and wanted revenge for Waco Texas. Therefore, he is labeled a right wing extremist. When Al Qaeda suicide bombers blew themselves up in a wedding, it WAS because of religious beliefs. Therefore, they label them or any other terrorists who are religiously motivated as MUSLIM terrorists. That is also why the last words are always “Allah akbar.� They view what they are doing as a “jihad�. Do you remember that part of the Qu’ran? Something about a “holy war�? The 6th pillar of Islam I believe? Yeah, no religious implications there. Let’s just ignore why they are doing it...hell let's just ignore it all together. Probably just some jew trickery, like the holocaust(sarcasm, incase you didn't pick up on it)!

If a Jewish guy was to kill his roommate because he couldn’t find that ultra soft two ply silky TP, I’d be willing to bet he wouldn’t scream “Yahweh is the greatest dude!� The Christians who were stealing body parts weren’t quoting scriptures in the process. Do you get it now? A little bit simpler, it is because terrorism carried out by groups like Al Qaeda, or Abu Sayyaf, is directly caused by their religious beliefs as Muslims (regardless if you disagree as a moderate muslim). Cry me a river, my ISLAMIC MUSLIM internet friend.

[/b]

nah, man, you don't get it. I'm talking about THIS particualr thread.

I'm not talking about the ones that actually do things for religious reasons. I'm not denying that there are people (muslims) out there that kill in the name of religion. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about THIS....what happened in paris.

Let's stay focused

Originally posted by Smart+Feb 26 2006, 07:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smart - Feb 26 2006, 07:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MAR@Feb 25 2006, 10:03 PM

Many have cited the torture and reports that the gang's suspected leader was later arrested in a Muslim neighborhood in Ivory Coast, in West Africa.

The members of the group have a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds, French police said.

Dawoo, you whine and whine and whine... but you CAN'T EVEN READ!

That first sentence is the ONLY time in the entire article where they even REMOTELY hint at the leaders religious faith... in fact they don't say. They merely characterize the neighborhood where he was arrested. For all you know he was caught because he was a christian walking around and sticking out among muslims. BUT NO! You wanna fucking punish ME and tell ME what's wrong with 'the media' because of YOUR ASSUMPTION?

And the second sentence just proves my point!

I can't believe you have such a huge chip on your shoulder that you have to try to hijack a story about Jewish victims and turn it into 'Muslims are victims of the media'... You didn't even have to come here in support of the jews, all you had to do was just sit there at home and not reply.

And you don't even have your facts straight!

You fail.

[/b]

when a crime is committed in a christian neighborhood in America , let's say in the bible belt. Do they say tha the suspects live in a christian neighborhood? of course not. that's why I opened the thread about the christians selling body parts because you could read the article and see how rediculous it looked to see the story referring to them as christians or coming from a christian neighborhood when that had nothing to do with the crime.

If you can't see my point, then you just like to argue.

So waht if they only mentioned it in the first sentence. I know crackheads who say theyre christian, so when they get arrested why don't news reporters go out of theyre way to find out or report that these particular crackheads that got arrested for possession were christain, why? because it doesn't matter. If it is a part of the story, then I would say, by all means , mention their religion, but otherwise, it's just a means of attack.

Originally posted by Dawood@Feb 26 2006, 12:44 PM

I know crackheads who say theyre christian, so when they get arrested why don't news reporters go out of theyre way to find out or report that these particular crackheads that got arrested for possession were christain, why? because it doesn't matter.

If it is a part of the story, then I would say, by all means , mention their religion, but otherwise, it's just a means of attack.

You think you can just selective argue points and still come out with some credibility? Your own arguments are flawed and you don't even see it when you've typed them out!

Look, they don't mention crackhead's religion because crack doesn't care. If that same crackhead leads police on a chase that ends up with his capture in Chinatown then that's what the story says:

"Crackhead captured in Chinatown"

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON THE CHINESE!

You know what, I do like to argue, but I don't like to argue with whiny idiots. You can't back up your facts, logic fails you and all you really do is complain. Near as I can tell, the ONLY reason you came here is to argue. You seem to be changing the world's opinion of Islam through 12oz. Well, I'm fed up with it. You're a retard on the day to day so how could I even begin to trust you with the details of my metaphysical ascension?

yeah it must suck living your life always focusing on your race, your religion, his religion/race, her religion/race, and why cant everyone be muslim and why do people hate muslims, blah blah blah.

Originally posted by Smart+Feb 26 2006, 09:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smart - Feb 26 2006, 09:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Feb 26 2006, 12:44 PM

I know crackheads who say theyre christian, so when they get arrested why don't news reporters go out of theyre way to find out or report that these particular crackheads that got arrested for possession were christain, why? because it doesn't matter.

If it is a part of the story, then I would say, by all means , mention their religion, but otherwise, it's just a means of attack.

You think you can just selective argue points and still come out with some credibility? Your own arguments are flawed and you don't even see it when you've typed them out!

Look, they don't mention crackhead's religion because crack doesn't care. If that same crackhead leads police on a chase that ends up with his capture in Chinatown then that's what the story says:

"Crackhead captured in Chinatown"

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON THE CHINESE!

You know what, I do like to argue, but I don't like to argue with whiny idiots. You can't back up your facts, logic fails you and all you really do is complain. Near as I can tell, the ONLY reason you came here is to argue. You seem to be changing the world's opinion of Islam through 12oz. Well, I'm fed up with it. You're a retard on the day to day so how could I even begin to trust you with the details of my metaphysical ascension?

[/b]

thanks for your nice words. and, explain why you would be trusting me with your metaphysical ascension?

Huh, never been called a retard before, I guess that's the internet.

Nobody's afraid to speak their mind here because theres not enough chance of getting knocked out for calling someone you don't even know a retard. Oh, well, still gotta love the internet. Anyway, If you don't like my posts , just ignore them don't get all bent out over it.

Anyway, your chinatown analogy is different. they don't say "he was caught in a buddhist neighborhood" even though a good majority of chinese are buddhist.

I guess you can either admit that the media railroads muslims or not.

The truth is the truth. Just because it's not fashionable to be a muslim nowadays doesn't mean that muslims shouldn't speak up because you think I'm whining. You have to remember that muslims are being punished, ridiculed , killed,and disrespected all over the world because of what a small extremist minority of muslims (or people who claim to be muslims are doing) And you think we should just shut up because youre sick of it? Well i'm sick of your media broadcasting lies, accusations and exaggerations on my way of life. Attacking it, writing hateful books about it, broadcasting lies and inciting violence against muslims all over the world. If Islam was presented to you properly, it's a good chance you might be muslim, but because you think Islam is a religion of violence and intolerance and there are muslims who are being provoked to violence and intolerance, the western media (and it's cohorts) has enough resources to plant whatever picture of Islam they want you to have.

Like it or don't like it. I present you with the facts, and all you have left is to insult me. Not too smart.

yeah it must suck living your life always focusing on your race, your religion, his religion/race, her religion/race, and why cant everyone be muslim and why do people hate muslims, blah blah blah.

nah, I'm not all bent out of shape about it. As a matter of fact. I love life , man. I'm really fortunate. this board makes up about 1% of my daily life. When I'm not here I'm either working (running my own biz)

spending time with my beautiful wife and 4 kids or with like minded people or doing artwork etc.

It seems like people are taking me too seriously, The responses I get here are funny, In real life I don't ever get this kind of backlash from people. It's actually pretty amusing to me. Some of you really get pissed off at me swearing, threatening death and calling me names while I post mostly calm responses. The internet is wild, man.

Anyway. I have fun here. It'll most likely get played out though.

look at it this way. if you kept seeing everytime you woke up and turned on the tv and radio that graffiti wasn't real art and that peices are just done by criminals and lowlifes. all the while knowing that this crusade against graff was being propagated by some upper crust bushwah artsy farts who had money and were scared that the real artists work would gain popularity and render their art worthless, you would fight it too, brother.

(the graff metaphor might be a bad one because a lot of writers are criminals and lowlifes but you get the picture)

yeah muslims as a whole do get shafted by the media, but the reason is because there arent muslims that go out of htier way to get publicity for the good things they do and state that theyre against all the shit that terrorists and other arseholes do in the name of islam because (im assuming) they know theyll be frowned upon and targeted by other muslims who are not so moderate in their religious convictions.

Guest KING BLING

Do Muslims get mistreated by our government and the media - yes

In this case was religion important to the story as a whole, and thus made mentioning the mans religion relevant - yes

Could it be argued this story was published prematurely before the facts were clear on whether or not religion played a part - yes

...I doubt anyone here really should use this as an example of a broader trend, no matter which point of view you hold

Originally posted by yum+Feb 27 2006, 09:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yum - Feb 27 2006, 09:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah muslims as a whole do get shafted by the media, but the reason is because there arent muslims that go out of htier way to get publicity for the good things they do and state that theyre against all the shit that terrorists and other arseholes do in the name of islam because (im assuming) they know theyll be frowned upon and targeted by other muslims who are not so moderate in their religious convictions.

[/b]

or maybe even killed, because the extremists who cut off heads and what not will declare any muslim a non muslim (who deserves to be killed according to them) for disagreeing with them.

but heres a link to an audio file about Islam's war on terrorism in case anyones interested

islam's war on terrorism

<!--QuoteBegin-KING BLING@Feb 27 2006, 10:35 AM

Do Muslims get mistreated by our government and the media - yes

In this case was religion important to the story as a whole, and thus made mentioning the mans religion relevant - yes

Could it be argued this story was published prematurely before the facts were clear on whether or not religion played a part - yes

...I doubt anyone here really should use this as an example of a broader trend, no matter which point of view you hold

Why was religion relevant to this particular story? I see where it is relevant to other stories, even if there is a spin of the story. I see why a reporter would mention religion when reporting for example : a person who was taken hostoage by somebody claimong to be a "holy warrior" Then yes, by all means, mention the religion, because it's part of the story, But, where is religion relevant here in the Paris story?

Originally posted by Dawood@Feb 27 2006, 09:50 PM

Why was religion relevant to this particular story?

It's relevant because the man in the story got attacked because he was JEWISH!

See, that's what the story is about... right in the title. As usual, you have to twist it into some bullshit whine about how Muslims are victims but that isn't the case at all in this story. Additionally, you're no longer retarded, you've been upgraded to impotent fucktard.

Goodday sir.

Originally posted by Smart+Feb 28 2006, 03:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smart - Feb 28 2006, 03:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Feb 27 2006, 09:50 PM

Why was religion relevant to this particular story?

It's relevant because the man in the story got attacked because he was JEWISH!

See, that's what the story is about... right in the title. As usual, you have to twist it into some bullshit whine about how Muslims are victims but that isn't the case at all in this story. Additionally, you're no longer retarded, you've been upgraded to impotent fucktard.

Goodday sir.

[/b]

I always appreciate your nice comments but I still don't see how him being from a muslim neighborhood relates to him being attacked beause people think Jews have money.

Maybe it's me, but if I'm from India which is predominantly hindu and I rob an American because "I think Americans have money" why does it matter that I come from a "hindu" country. Isn't is just sufficient to say so and so from India robbed an american because he said "Americans have the money". We all know India is the majority hindu, but if this story was about a hindu from India they wouldv'e just said he was from India and it wouldn't have mattered that he came from a hindu neighborhood and it doesnt matter that the one who robbed the jew came form a muslim neighborhood either. It would be sufficient to say he came from a housing project in the suburb of Bagneux, southwest of Paris instead of jinning it up into a scenario against Islam.

Isn't it Ironic, when jews cry of anti semitism it's all fine and dandy, but when it happens to muslims (even when people come on here saying theyre going to kill muslims etc etc.) it's all "cry me a river, you retard" "shut up, scum camel jockey" when I defend the honor of Islam and muslims.

and incidentally, If I'm wrong and I can't see it because of my bias, then, my bad. it wouldn't be the first time.

But, that's all i have to say about this matter. Smart, please save all your intellegent wit and don't make me go through this all over again

The difference between your example and the article is the people who attemped to extort and killed the man where not parisian. they were immigrants (sp?). Therefore whether you agree or not the nationality of the agressers is important, especailly since the crime had some hatred behind it. It also answers the quintisentail question, "why".

If you dont like all the negative press maybe you should do something about it.

no, for real French... and that's not to say that I don't know 10 French folks who are totally about inclusion and NOT racist at all...

I, on the other hand am racist againts poutine! I remember being at some rest stop on the QAE at a McDicks and I kept seeing people getting some FOUL concotion, can you guess what it was? Ugh...

Originally posted by MAR@Feb 28 2006, 05:30 PM

The difference between your example and the article is the people who attemped to extort and killed the man where not parisian. they were immigrants (sp?). Therefore whether you agree or not the nationality of the agressers is important, especailly since the crime had some hatred behind it. It also answers the quintisentail question, "why".

If you dont like all the negative press maybe you should do something about it.

I agree, the nationality of the person is important. But not the religion. (even if he is muslim) Islam isn't a nationality, it's a faith.

And the faith of this person was not relevant to the story.

His nationality, the location of where he lived, maybe, but to tie his actions to a religion was unnecessary.