Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

has anyone read "the yellow wallpaper?"

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by swif1, Sep 24, 2002.

1. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

it's by charlotte perkins gilman.

i'm wondering if maybe someone can help me out writing an essay on this. here's the question:

well...what i plan to write about john and jane and their 'lifestyle.'

john is afraid of being looked down upon in society so he doesn't allow his wife to do things women aren't supposed to do even though he cares a lot for her. why is he afraid to be looked down upon? is it because he's 'weak?' does john feel depressed inside because he's 'forced' to be like the men in the 19th century and not be able to be himself?

jane is his sister. she accepts the way women were treated. does she feel sad, emotionally, for living the way she does because society 'forced' her to be like this?

that's what i pretty much have. if anyone can contribute, much will be appreciated.

2. RAGSOE

RAGSOE New Jack

3. Are2

Are2 Guest

i've read it, but too long ago to contribute anything meaningful..

however, what you have already is good..
    make it the bones of the essay...and flesh it out with stuff from the story to back up your opinion...
    it seems like you already have answered the question, now for the proof...

what did they say and do to make you think that stuff?
    what background info does the author give to support this stuff?
    etc.
    what type of society did the characters live in?
    how did this social climate affect the author and thus, her subjects...

4. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

thanks, are2. right now i'm heading out to work so i'll be thinking it over. right now, i'm in the process of reading the story once more to find sources and to quote etc etc etc.

i need to make a rough draft for peers to read this thursday. yay.

damn...i think i will have problems trying typing an introduction for this. damn i need to think a lot at work today for this.

5. Are2

Are2 Guest

i always hated the intro the most...

develop the essay first if you can
    use a rough outline prepared by your initial comments..

a suggestion....
    you could divide the paper either into 2 character discussions
    with a couple paragraphs per character...their position in society (support)and how they feel about it (support) and then tie the 2 character studies together in another paragraph..

once oyu've written the paper (rough draft)
    you'll know exactly what you're talking about

then you can make a thesis statement...
    a broad statement roughly illustrating the point of the paper
    and then elaborate on that point slightly and boom theres an intro...

okay..hope it helps....no problem, i haven't written a paper in so long and i used to be really good at it...

6. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

thanks a bunch!

7. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

They always ask such boring fucking questions. For me the story worked because of how long it takes you to figure out she's lost it (the "unreliable narrator" issue). I get a glimpse of both of those themes suggested in the boring question, but I don't like to dwell on them...the story is a story and has already done its job as soon as you finish.
    I'm not sure I made my point very well...eh...good luck in your essay.

8. socrates

socrates Guest

Post your essay on here some of us will be able to give you tips on it

9. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

thanks; i will. i know for sure i'll need help on this. i plan to type it up later today. and it has to be between 800-1000 words.

10. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

My intro as of now:

So what happens when someone lives in a society in which people must live the way they are told to because of an unwritten law? To live a life that is obviously false to everyone outside your home on purpose doesn’t sound moral, does it? Would you refuse to live like this and decide to rebel against such an unwritten law with chances of being looked down upon by everyone? In the story, “The Yellow Wallpaper,” there are two people who are living like this. The main character’s husband, John, and his sister, Jane, were trapped living in this society. John was clearly being treated with respect among other men while Jane was being treated like any other woman in the 19th century. But how did they feel emotionally?

So what happens when someone lives in a society in which people must live the way they are told to because of an unwritten law? To live a life that is obviously false to everyone outside your home on purpose doesn’t sound moral, does it? Would you refuse to live like this and decide to rebel against such an unwritten law with chances of being looked down upon by everyone? In the story, “The Yellow Wallpaper,” there are two people who are living like this. The main character’s husband, John, and his sister, Jane, were trapped living in this society.
    How did they feel emotionally? John was clearly being treated with respect among other men while Jane was being treated like any other woman in the 19th century—like dirt. Let me enlighten you to why this is so. At the turn of the century, and many years before, Men were the dominant ones while the women were there to do such things as take care of their husband like servants and must obey them and their rules. Women didn’t have any rights.

[insert new paragraph here]

11. Are2

Are2 Guest

too many questions...

the intro is a statement of purpose..

in other words, instead of presenting those questions as the focal point of the essay, present those questions and give a brief (!!) answer of those questions...

people are someitmes given a standard that they must live by in their society. this ideal is not always in the best interest of the individual..... a person denying their true nature on the basis of what society dictates can be a devastating blow to the mental health of the indivdual, especially if they are not able to live up to the expectations of their friends, family and neighbors...imagining ourselves in such a position is nightmarish...certainly one could not expect an individual to continue such a charade throughout the course of their lives...our two main chracters in the yelloww are in such a dillemna....on the surface, things are well, as the charade is maintained...but they're feelings, below the surface, are not so well...

blalblabla
    just some suggestions..

same goes for the paragraph..
    you are answering questions given to you in the assignment..
    present your opinions as statements, and support thwm...
    do not present the questions in that form..

present them as ideas, and fill out the statement with your opinion (the questions answer)...remeber...you are proving a point (your own opinion about the meaning of the story) you are not attempting to engage the reader in a discussion..

but keep going, it sounds okay...

12. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

Yeah, I also thought there were too many questions. I plan to change it and stuff in a few.
    I'm not that good at writing so uhh...yeah. Haha...

13. YinzerXpress

YinzerXpress Guest

ya i read that story, its kinda fucked up when you realize it actually happened, and the mental help the lady recieved was being locked n a fucking room before going insane. one thing to remember when you are writing you paper is that it is an extremely feminist story, and there are at leats 20 or 30 metaphors in it that relate to feminism, and male supremacy. ill see if i can find my notes on it and post em.

14. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

15. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

20-30 metaphors relating to feminism and male supremacy is a shit load. i just hope i can find a decent amount of information for my paper. thanks.