Haruki Murakami Appreciation Thread.

Ski Mask

http://www.titel-magazin.de/japan/murakami.jpg'>

Yeah, so if you have no idea who he is, and you enjoy reading at ALL, go right out and

pick up somthing by him. NOW. He's a contemporary japanese author who has a brilliant style of writing that sucks you into the story before you have a chance to think about anyting. a very easy read without being simple in any aspects.

Somone lent me:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0679743464.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif'>

3 weeks ago, after devouring it in a few sittings I went out the next weekend and bought:

http://www.impacdublinaward.ie/books%20pre-2000/WINDUP.JPG'>

which I spent most of the weekend reading. And then saturday night I borrowed:

http://edition.cnn.com/2000/books/news/11/24/arts.japan.murakamis.poison.ap/cover.norwegian.wood.jpg'>

and read it in two sittings. I'm forcing myself to stop now, because I don't want to tear through everything and be left wishing for more books by him. I havent been reading any fiction other than some classics for the longest time, and now I'm completely consumed again. All I want to do is read anymore. yeah. so go out and pick somthing up. sample some pages on amazon if you dont believe me.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by rip

who's the guy that makes all the yakuza movies?

You must be talking about Takeshi Kitano, awesome movies

Guest chicken bone

Norwegian Wood is also great (its by Murakami as well) if you want one of his books that isn't neccesarily less idiosyntratic, but more along the the tangents of normalcy. (but what is normalcy?).

And yes, normalcy is a word. Biatch.

I'm waiting for ESE to buy a Murakami book that I haven't read yet so we can finally 'swap' for real. If I was a loan shark, you woulda owned me 3 Taco Time Burritos by now :)

*failed to see that ese already mentioned norwegian wood. Anyways I think you'll like this shit tesseract and pmb. Shit is hot to def. What's up with really dope Japanese people witih the last name Murakami?? Ryu, Takashi, Haruki, etc...

**edited again because i said 'hot to def'. My brain seems to be farting again.

hey. I was gonna lend you wind up bird chronicles, but then you went out and bought it the same damn day as me, without consulting me first! I think you owe me an apology....

you know where to find me when you're ready.

ese, good call. he rocks. i have read everything published in english so

now i am just sitting here waiting for more things to be translated...

hardboiled was my favorite. south of the border was the first one i read,

and i was hooked after that!

very cool

super wonderful exuberant prose..luminescent..illuminating..brilliant..magnificent.

what's up with book reviewers all using the same words? murakami is super fantastic-o(all of them). coin locker babies is some wacky shit. who else has oliver stone talking about how superlative their novel is? who here even gives a fuck about novels? I mean other than the simple joy of being like, "yo! check out this book I read. give me props because I read it when it was still in hardcover and twice as expensice"..I wish the NYT didn't have to say some stupid flowery crack talk about every book that has ever been released just so they can tag up the cover of someone else's life's work. I don't know how I feel about books that weren't originally written in english.. it makes me feel like we're all missing out on something really important. like, CONTEXT.

you must have been the guy I met on the plane. you aren't 34 and happen to have a wife who sleeps, are you? dude was recommending shit to me in a very low voice, a half-whisper, "moor-a-com-ee..wind-up bird chronicles and hard-boiled wonderland".. I wrote the titles down in china marker on my barf bag.

rock on litterati fashionistas.

i was talking to my japanese friend who read mur. too and i asked him

what the books lose in translation, bc i was thinking they gotta lose

something. he has read mur. in both japanese and english, and he said

they are suprisingly similar!

word

Originally posted by yoshy

i was talking to my japanese friend who read mur. too and i asked him

what the books lose in translation, bc i was thinking they gotta lose

something. he has read mur. in both japanese and english, and he said

they are suprisingly similar!

word

intresting. I was wondering about that myself. I heard he was real particular about who could translate his work, thats why it took a while before the english editions got a mass release.

Archived