Hardware Suggestions....PC

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

My trustee pentiumIII@450Mhz is officially old...shaky hands, bladder infections, grumpy attitude and first signs of altzheimer....its about time to upgrade.

I got dope screen scaner and printer so i'm just getting a new tower which i'll be buliding part by part.

I've more or less decided on what i'll be using but if anyone of you nerdsz has bought/used/seen anything that rings dopeness please report.

To give you some hints i'm talking about all kinds of small and big stuff that make life easy.

examples:

Case with the usb/firwire ports up front

External secondary HD

Memory stick slot

DVD burner

etc

etc

etc

just propose whatever.

thanx.

ps. i dont have money for a mac

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hello friend.

I'll give you a rundown of what I have. I got almost all of this within the last month, so it's brand spankin' new (save a few parts, which I will otherwise identify). The links provided are to the stores fomr which I bought the products. They're in the states, though, so I doubt that'll be of much use to you.

• Power supply - 450 watts. I went as cheap as possible here, which I may regret in a year or so when my power supply shits out.
  • Motherboard - Abit IC7-MAX3. Very hot.
  • RAM - 1GB (512MBx2) PC3200 Samsung
  • Case - Kingwin KT-424 Black Server Case w/ Side Window Panel
  • Speakers - Creative I-TRIGUE 2.1 3300 Speakers
  • 3.5" disk drive - SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK Floppy Disk OEM. Purchased because it was cheap and so it would match my case.
  • CPU - Pentium4 2.6GHz-800MHz-478
  • CD/CD burner. Two separate drives, each salvaged from my 3 year old Dell desktop. They work fine for now.
  • Monitor - 19" ViewSonic G90fb. I've had it for about 9 months now, and I fucking love it.
  • Video card - GeForce4 TI 4200. Hot like fire.

I hope that helps some, and that I didn't forget anything.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Thank god for my nerds giving life to this thread,

keylo, that looks dope, however i suspect i'll have a hard time getting it around here

PMB, that helps a lot, i'm not sure what i can score or not, but it gives me a general idea...the motherboard is hot indeed.

I have the impression XP lags, NT seem to be more fast and stable, but older none the less....i really hate the looks of XP aswell..

you can run XP in what's called 'classic mode' that matches the OG windows style (or lack of)

I'd seriously say WIN2000pro is my best bet.

It all depends on what you're rocking in the software dept,

but I trust a nerd like you would be able to tinker untill things are good.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

for some reason my IT guys...are not fans of NT.

you realise how strange that sounds?

every IT guy i know is all about lindows or old school WinNT

but never ever do they care about macs. Strange.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Kilo7-

you can run XP in what's called 'classic mode' that matches the OG windows style (or lack of)

I'd seriously say WIN2000pro is my best bet.

It all depends on what you're rocking in the software dept,

but I trust a nerd like you would be able to tinker untill things are good.

I agree, win2kpro is my choice aswell...te reason is that fellow nerds that do more or less what i do told me that the cooperation with the software for that shit is prime...i have the feeling that some XP features (like thumbs in folders..and stuff like that) lag the system for no reason.

Alright listen up... the God PC has arrived.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

2 gb Corsair pc2700

Nvidia Asus motherboard (with alienware case, so 4 USB 2.0 up front)

Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Pro

Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1 (awesome system. highly suggested.)

NEC 22" Flat Screen monitor

Windows XP Pro SP1

240 gb hdd (2 seagate barricudas... very reliable. best out there.)

I haven't used the USB Flash products but I hear they're alright, especially

if you're transporting flicks. Ram is a must, the motherboard I have

supports 3 ddr slots at pc2700 max speed. AMD processors (if you have

proper cooling) can be overclocked for excellent performance. My vid

card is expensive as fuck but is pretty much the strongest out right now.

Originally posted by Tesseract

Also, i havent still decided if i wanna run on XP or 2000NT...i'm leaning towards NT...thoughts?

DO NOT RUN NT!!! Thats what I have now, and its shitty, and its server based so if you're online and your connection is slow it makes all of your applications go slow. It fucking sucks, leave it alone. Go for 2000 pro...

Good day...

God PC? It only has one processor.

Dual Athlon XP 2100+

1GB Registered ECC PC2100

2x Seagate Cheetah X15-36LP 15,000rpm SCSI3 HD

etc...

Originally posted by S@T@N

Alright listen up... the God PC has arrived.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

2 gb Corsair pc2700

Nvidia Asus motherboard (with alienware case, so 4 USB 2.0 up front)

Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Pro

Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1 (awesome system. highly suggested.)

NEC 22" Flat Screen monitor

Windows XP Pro SP1

240 gb hdd (2 seagate barricudas... very reliable. best out there.)

I haven't used the USB Flash products but I hear they're alright, especially

if you're transporting flicks. Ram is a must, the motherboard I have

supports 3 ddr slots at pc2700 max speed. AMD processors (if you have

proper cooling) can be overclocked for excellent performance. My vid

card is expensive as fuck but is pretty much the strongest out right now.

heres what im fucking with..

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard

3ghz p4

1.5GB RAM (pc-3200)

120GB Seagate IDE disk

120GB Seagate IDE disk

160GB Seagate SATA disk

52x optowrite cdrw

Geforce 4 128mb..

the only portion that I would deem to be "low-class" would be the gfx card.. but I dont feel like spending $500 on a radeon at the moment..

if you want a killer motherboard aim for ASUS - the P4C800-E deluxe has a built-in 1gigabit 3COM nic, Soundmax onboard sound, SATA Raid controller, IDE raid controller, crashfree bios, jumperfree bios - the list goes on..

A good motherboard is the heart of your box.

Make sure you get something that supports serial ata (sata), it will be the standard soon enough. This board also has digital video out among other things. I generally maintain uptimes of 3+ weeks with this configuration, my OS is Windows XP professional.

Sadly, all of my hard drives are full..

Originally posted by GnomeToys

God PC? It only has one processor.

Dual Athlon XP 2100+

1GB Registered ECC PC2100

2x Seagate Cheetah X15-36LP 15,000rpm SCSI3 HD

etc...

PS: You're running at approx. 3.3 ghz, and that's BEFORE any loss due

to the duals. Yes, you don't always get the full from both.. depending

on your motherboard. So you're at 3.3 ghz with 512 kb cache, with 1

gb of ram? 266 mhz FSB that's probably hindered by your ram (but I'm

too lazy to go look. It's late.)

Look guys! I bought a turbo kit for my Pinto. Look at me go.

Also, your high speed HD's come with a drawback. Either 1) you're rocking

much less storage than I am, or you got completely raped to come

anywhere close to my space.

/owned. Leave.

umm three year old dell latitude laptop

with some stickers on it

including one of drew barrymore

and one of oolong

its pretty slow

i want to link it to a tower i have but havent gotten the right advice yet

usb? ethernet?

help?

Tesseract.... another thing to consider that makes using your computer ten times more cooler.... is a bad ass audio card. I've got a card that supports dolby digital dts 5.1 etc.... but on top of that, I have a nice receiver that my infinity speakers are hooked through.... and then too the sound card.... makes everything sound ten times better than some jackass normal comp speakers. Don't get me wrong because they do make good computer speakers. But yeah, a nice sounds card.

Also I suggest alot of ram, like PMB got 1G of ram.... that's enough to keep the computer happy doing it's tasks for a while to come.

If you're not bent on having a badass looking setup, go with an older CRT monitor... because you can get a huge one for cheap nowadays with all these flat panels and LCDs out.

Last thing for now.... another accessory to consider is a router of some sort along with a switch.... that way you can share a broadband connection amongst other computers (your old one perhaps). Of course you need a NIC for each and the cat5 cables.

Cheers! Good luck.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

Tesseract.... another thing to consider that makes using your computer ten times more cooler.... is a bad ass audio card. I've got a card that supports dolby digital dts 5.1 etc.... but on top of that, I have a nice receiver that my infinity speakers are hooked through.... and then too the sound card.... makes everything sound ten times better than some jackass normal comp speakers. Don't get me wrong because they do make good computer speakers. But yeah, a nice sounds card.

Also I suggest alot of ram, like PMB got 1G of ram.... that's enough to keep the computer happy doing it's tasks for a while to come.

If you're not bent on having a badass looking setup, go with an older CRT monitor... because you can get a huge one for cheap nowadays with all these flat panels and LCDs out.

Last thing for now.... another accessory to consider is a router of some sort along with a switch.... that way you can share a broadband connection amongst other computers (your old one perhaps). Of course you need a NIC for each and the cat5 cables.

Cheers! Good luck.

Now dhabz knows what he's talking about, i'm fed up with the crappy sound quality of my computer to the point i'm not even listening anything on it anymore. I was wondering on how could i solve that...i'll look through your suggestions....Lots or RAM is also in the list, i usually deal with heavy apps and heavier deadlines that need multitasking.

I wont be getting a new screen, flat ones are cool looking but my older huge ass sony has all the quality i need.

Thanx

If you're getting an AMD processor, definately go with one of the new 64bit ones. I know people are gonna say they're fucking expensive, but if you actually go look at recent prices, its not much more money for alot more power. The 64bit 3000+ is just a bit over $200, and the mobos for it start at like $100, with all the quality you need at a $150 one. A 32bit 3000+ is just under $200, with the same quality of mobo being about $125. In reality, it'll be about $50 more for alot more performance.

Archived