HARDCORE. Poison the Well........Q&A

George Dubyah Bush

Alright, FUCKING WOW. I went to Poison the Well/Diecast show last night. AND FUCKING WOW. That was great. Crowd went completely nuts, they played awesome.........but that was officially my second hardcore show i've ever been too. So if anyone's into the hardcore scene, please answer my questions!? It probably sounds juvenille but i have alot of things to ask:

1.) Is being a skin head a hardcore thing? A straight edge thing? Are they all nazi type skin heads?

(Prime example: Skin head at the show, had skinny red suspenders, black boots with white laces, yet his t shirt depicted a kkk white hood, with a cross hair on him, and it said "End Racism"

2.) Whats with the bandanas over the face. Just a style thing?

3.) Whats the fun in being Straight Edge and advertising it by buying t shirts and crap?

And thats mainly it, yeah im an idiot, but whatever. I saw Stretch Armstrong lastweek too, they kicked alot of ass........

But yeah, the crowd was pretty cool and respected everyone, and the pit was really really bad ass. Better than any punk show i've ever been to.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

being a skin head is a hardcore thing, sort of ...there are different types. look it up sometime while you are on the internet, it is a whole other subculture. they all arent american history x.

the kids with the bandanas, well....they were just dorks, trying to be hardcore poster kids. its just silly, we all know who you are ...even when you have your super beads, and a silly dew rag covering your face. save your self the humiliation if you are gettitng into the scene...and skip this faze..

finally sxe...well i have way to much to say about how people dont want drugs or things like that shoved in thier face but the concept of hardliners, and accosting people for thier own personal beliefs is acceptable because that is "their right way".

personal opinions. blech.

im straightedge but there's no way you would know unless you asked me. which is the way it should be. I dont like the kids that're all hate-edge and when they find out you drink or something they give you a hard time and act like a dick about it. It's their decision as mentioned before.

skinheads

no, sorry sleep on it, skin heads are not hardcore. skin heads were a subculture started in london in the sixties. they were blue collar factory workers who were upset because all their jobs were going to cheap immigrant labor. to protest this, they shaved their heads to identify with each other and wore their working clothes (work boots and braces (the skinny suspenders)). in the seventies a whole subculture built around this with their own music. at the time in england the whole cockney thing going on was to yell OI! so the music was referred to as Oi. they weren't racist, in fact the partied with jamaican rude boys and adopted their style into the skinhead uniform. but unfortunately, some factions within skin heads started associating their loss the of jobs with the mere existence of foriegners and so became racist. today in america, kids who aren't even working class decide that its cool to be skinheads cuz they think it looks cool. other kids are just rednecks and want to be racist without even know about their style coming from jamaicans. while all types of skinheads are around, the only ones that get media attention are racist nazi's. that's why skinheads have such a bad reputation.

anyway, hardcore started in the early eighties when new wave started to infiltrate the punk scene and some punk bands wanted to up the noise and intensity so they wouldn't appeal to these trendy kids. they were influenced by oi bands like Sham69, so that would be the only connection. today, hardcore is almost exclusively suburban, and therefore totally unrelated to a working-class associated skinhead culture.

Guest HELLSATAN

wasnt agnostic front skinheads ? and they are one of the early hardcore bands. so i would say that skinheads and hardcore did go togother back in the day

yes, you guys are right, i did forget to mention the 80's bands like cro mags, agnostic front and of course Warzone. i don't know what the scene is like where you live, but i was in a hardcore band and went on tour and every city i went to, hardcore was all about big-pants-suburban angst. all the skinheads i knew were into last resort and 4skins kinda stuff.

i wasn't trying to show off knowledge, cuz i personally think the skinhead scene is silly (knowing this stuff is nothing to be proud of), i just had a lot of friends that were into that bullshit and they got a lot of shit from the media's portrayal of that "culture". i still talk to some of old the skins around my way, and they still tell me how they liked 80's hardcore, but once the big pants scene rolled in during the mid nineties, they thought it was a joke. so i still say skinheads and hardcore are totally different nowdays.

a little Answers -

1.) Is being a skin head a hardcore thing? A straight edge thing? Are they all nazi type skin heads?

skinheads evloved out of late 60s dancehall and ska in england, then moved onto oi... not involving hardcore at all. i guess they're present in hardcore scenes, but more so streetpunk/oi subcultures. skins aren't a straight-edge thing, seeing that most songs are about beer, fighting, and hanging out with the boys. not all skins are nazi morons - nazis just get more attention and have a hell of a lot more shock value - giving skins a bad reputation. there are trad skins who tend to stay far from political ties, sharps/rash/whatever that tend to be more left wing... Laces and braces don't tend to hold much meaning anymore... in general its more of a separate subculture with music - hardcore, oi, punk, whatever - as an element of that

2.) Whats with the bandanas over the face. Just a style thing?

style i guess. 625 bandanna thrash? what happens next?

3.) Whats the fun in being Straight Edge and advertising it by buying t shirts and crap?

same thing as sporting a band shirt, brand shirt, etc... in my opinion

poison the well makes me jiz my panties

i am going to cry like a catholic school girl at confession when the new poison the well cd comes out. by far the best hardcore out there.

it looks like a lot of peeps already answered your questions, but what straightedge means to me is just not putting poisons into my body, just a personal choice. there ARE a lot of kids out there who are sXe for the trend, but that doesnt necessarily mean everyone who wears a sXe patch is "selling" or "preaching" anything. some of my best friends smoke up everyday, and it doest bother me. if i wear something that says sXe on it, it is not to preach, its simply standing up for what i believe very strongly in. its all good, word.

one love,

XnateX

*forever is such an unpleasant word*:(

(jeffrey i want to have sex with your voice)

re:agnostic front

i saw agnostic front last week in burlington and the guitarist was tearing down A.R.A. postors (ANTI-RACIST ACTION) , and saying "we dont need that nigger shit here"

people like that ruin the scene. if you like agnostic's music, i guess thats cool, but i definatly dont support that kind of attitude through buying any of their merch or anything.

people always say that skinheads arent always racist, but i personally woulnt want to associate myself with a group like the skinheads who have such a bad reputation and history of hatred and violence.

PTW forever!

Diecast is pretty cool too, dude.

XXX

THRASH!

i love hardcore, but all you hardcore kids are gonna kill me for saying this: THRASH SUCKS

im a skinny boy and i get fucking beat up when people are doing karate and "slam dancing" and shit in the pit

im all for moshing, but if i want to see people beat each other up i will turn on my tv and see all the violence death and destruction i need.

i like hardcore better than punk, but at least at punk shows i have fun skanking and moshing with people who i might not even know and its hella cool. UNITY UNITY UNITY NOW! dont fucking beat your friends up. that aint fun, dawg.

fuckin' oi !!! :)

Guest serpent of the light

skins: skinhead has nothing limiting itself to any genre anymore, it simply represents the working class, (to those who know what theyre talking about), same w/ the iron cross, it means working class, pride in what you've earned, not racist bullshit like its turned to. and i guarantee agnostic front wasnt saying 'nigger,' those guys are true skins, not trend skins, false skins, or nazi skins. stop lying about their shit

the bandana: stems from the hardline and hate edge scenes, has to do w/ covering your face, like in a robbery or whatever, to protect your identity while liberating animals or slamming dealers down

sxe clothes: i take pride in who i am, in what i believe, and what i've worked at. this is straight edge, there is nothing wrong w/ expressing my feelings through my clothing, same as my art, my writing, etc.

poison the well is emocore, not hardcore, lyrical differences. great band, different roots.

xxx303

you got beef?

i dont appreciate it when people call me a liar.

i dont care if you "guarantee" he didnt say that because i saw it happen.

i dont just make this shit up.

whatever i dont care, i dont really like that kind of music.

i do agree with your other opinions though, dawg.

yeah PTW is mos def emo-core as they come.

word

my sisters husband put me on to poison in the well,good god!totally amazing.ive been trying to get some on my own but have had some dificulty finding it and i dont have a cd burner so the internet is a ney.the search goes on.inside out!man i saw inside out so long ago,early ninties at a coffe house in detroit called the grounds,@UofD campus.then after the split when zack started the whole rage against the machine deal,saw 108 a couple tmes there with the remaining inside out guys turned krisna.many amazing shows i saw there.i miss that time in hardcore,i dont really keep up on it like i used to. i suppose it has changed some since the days of bold and youth of today,gorrilla bisquits etc.

very nice summary of skinheads, bug.

along with bandanas i have friends that wear like protective googles and they lite off

fireworks in the pit. pretty crazy, not for me though.

i had a big talk with a friend of mine about how its wicked easy to be like that kid

is a skin and that kid is youth crew and that kid is thrash. but decided that

labels dont work anymore because they dont really mean what they originally did.

like mod. what we call mods now is not at all like they were.

and where is the point in tearing apart the whole scene with labels anyway?

is it really wrong for a youth crew kid to go to a converge show?

i dont know if that makes sense, i guess im just sick of hearing kids give eachother

shit for what they wear to shows

More questions

Are all hardcore bands sXe ?

So do they sell beer at Hardcore shows? and if they did, and you were drinking would u get beat up? like what if a sXe band was playing with a band that wasnt sXe would the straight edge people start shit?

Originally posted by DIBS

my sisters husband put me on to poison in the well,good god!totally amazing.ive been trying to get some on my own but have had some dificulty finding it and i dont have a cd burner so the internet is a ney.the search goes on.inside out!man i saw inside out so long ago,early ninties at a coffe house in detroit called the grounds,@UofD campus.then after the split when zack started the whole rage against the machine deal,saw 108 a couple tmes there with the remaining inside out guys turned krisna.many amazing shows i saw there.i miss that time in hardcore,i dont really keep up on it like i used to. i suppose it has changed some since the days of bold and youth of today,gorrilla bisquits etc.

those are some truly incredible memories, i wouldve died to see inside out. I have a video of there last show but its not the same at all

Archived