hands up, who's been in a band?

Smart

oh, I guess I can't see if you raise your hands so reply here instead...

before you do, I mean...

"who's been in a band that made money?"

you may have only played once but you gotta have gotten money for your performance to qualify. No 'they paid me in beer'... money, that you promptly spent on beer... I also don't care if you played the triangle, even if your part was a 'guest shot', as long as the band got money and you drank of the beer that money bought... and, of course, NO ROADIES!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Uncle Wiggly

I was in an 'airband'... we won the thing though and that was $150! we really were a band so we just faked a song we knew (Paranoid - Black Sabbath)... later we were a real band for a while...

i was in a group and we got payed really well except we had to pay everyone and their mom....the dude who did the beats, the dude who rhymed on 3 songs, etc. needless to say i quit after the first gig, fuck the hip hop, i want the money.....plus i made more money by myself and didnt have 2 other dickheads to deal with while doing it.....

Two bands, Did one show with the first band, got $25 each (4 people.) Then the bassists and I left and started an angry loud fast band and the drummer from the first band joined and sings, second guitarist from the first band joined and we got a new drummer with a shinny double bass pedal, we play our first show as a new band Jan. 4th, 2002.

i have weekly gigs but they only pay tips. but every now and then i get a call to play with people. like in january i'm playing at a little club in NJ...cept i'm talking about jazz music, so people who play upright bass like me are usually in demand to play with any group....

my first real band tho was a rock band and we wrote some cool tunes and played a couple shows...the good ol' days

I played a grand total of 3 gigs, one open mic, two as an add-on member of a friend's band who were bad (slow) at changing broken strings and tuning back up. They had me fill up the long awkward pauses with my sound collage stuff, and one of the songs had some spoken word samples. We were ultra low-tech so I just had my tapes ready and ran them off a boom box hooked into the sound board, timing the pauses manually. I think I made five bucks for the whole shmeal.

Guest BROWNer

mr. cracked ass, we should exchange tapes some time probably never. i've gotten much more hi-tech with my 'set-up', but i have a billion cheapo ultra deluxe lo-tech tapes of similar 'genre' from years back.

Browner, by "genre" do you mean sound collage type stuff, or Helmet-Tool heavy type stuff? I'm always interested in what other people consider sound collage. Most people I've played it for hate my shit, which pleases me immensely. It's all hacked-up songs, advertisements, sound effects, and ranges from mood alteringly smooth to harsh and annoying to, in my opinion, hilarious (in spots).

Guest BROWNer

cr.ass..by 'genre' i mean sound collage. and when i say sound collage i mean

exactly that....from your description my stuff employs the same..

i would honestly love to trade a tape with you, but realistically i already

owe 2 people on here tapes first and they aren't getting them for awhile yet........

do you actively search out stuff? i could recommend some total masters if

you're interested....

Well,I haven't been in a band personally,but I did write a bunch of songs for some of my good friends who formed one..I guess that's as close as I ever got to being part of a band....

i have

i was in a band that made money. i never really talked to any of the other band members. they would make all the guitar bass drums etc. and would record it very roughly on to a tape.. just so i get the idea of how its going to be.. then i would write lyrics to it. we would meet for acouple practices of the song. maybe a practice before a show, they would give me ideas sometimes on how they think it would sound better if i did something a certain way. and i would give them ideas.. but thats the only real contact we had. they all hung out all the time. i only saw them at practices and shows. yeah. never really had alot in common .. they didnt drink. i did. yeah. thats all i have to say. oh.. well. we had acouple rough cds we put together on one of thier four track. yeah.

Archived