HANDLING THE "BIG SECRET" OF GRAFFITI

and now you choke

this is a question for the more serious of guys i guess...the ones who have been around for years and have gotten REALLY into painting at some point or another...but how well do you keep the fact that you do graffiti from others? how well do you hide it from the "normal" people? what do you tell people you're doing when you're actually out painting? i mean, what extents do you go to to cover it up and how much does it irritate you? how does it ever come up and when do you finally give in and explain it to someone who knows NOTHING about graffiti? it's something i've always wondered how other people handled. i find it really fucking annoying but absolutely necessary to keep the low profile. but...what's the deal huh?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Most of my friends know, and I'll tell them when I go out usually to invitethem. However I have told people that are on a need to know basis that I was going to another friends house, I once told this girl I was going to another girls house. I didnt get to paint walls that night but I got to paint something else. So by all means try whatever you can. Its not like your superman with a secret clark kent by day identity:cool:

Guest Remy Martin

when talking to friends and family i trust i rarley go more than 2 subjects without mentioning painting..half cause i love it and half to irritate them and remind them that for almost the last ten years i have been writing my name all over diffrent kinds of other peoples shit...

sometimes ill ask people if they mind if I write on things in front of them, if im feeling polite..otherwise i give em my best gangstar mug and write on somthing in front of them.

last time i tried to have a discussion involving writing and painting on things with some one i just met. it ended with her telling me to go become a politician and i replied that i could accomplish what ever i would hope to as a politician by writing on things. also heard from my boy that was humping her that shes a brutal control freak? i mean how the fuck do you associate writing with the united states goverment on a similiar level of acheiving goals????

Guest usedtolove

other writers know ...at least in the area..family knows..

but i dont talk to starngers so...thats about it...the subject does not come up around those who dont already know about me.

..the important people in my life know..my parents, my best friend..

i'm not going to tell or explain to anyone who doesn't already know a lot about me, and some about grafitti..low profile is the name of my game..

the people that i work with don't know, i'll never tell them, same went when i was a student..

telling someone that will have an unpredictable reaction is a bad move..mostly because i don't have the patience to answer all their questions, or give them a satisfactory explanation for why i do what i do..

part of the thrill of grafitti is the anonymity..i don't wanna give it up..

and sometimes, some stranger will know who you are and what you're about..no need to explain..pretty cool..

i tell anyone that wants to know what im up to, but I do like to keep a low profile. So what i do is tell people that ask what im drawing that its graffiti and that it says orbet which was my old name. This way when people go out they never see anything by orbet and just think that im a big liar. Which is the truth when you think about it but whatever. No one is the wiser. Plus this way if some one eventualy wants or feels the need to rat you out due to moral obligations or what have you...There wont be any evidence linked back to you.

Shout me a holler dunny

Guest Remy Martin

true..

anonymity is a key part..

but i love hitting up shit in front of people that arent expecting it.

especially when nicley dressed.

well....parents and girlfriends....those are really the only people that need to know, parents because their your parents and you could tell them you had a barrel of dead babies in your basement and they would still kiss you on the way out the door and your girlfriend because if you lie to her about where your creeping off to at 2 am she might think your cheating on her and youll wind up with your penis glued to your stomach....

Guest BROWNer

my family, my girl and my best friends know.

thats it. sometimes i want to scream in someone's

face when they start in about graffiti, but don't

know that i do it...but...i keep to myself at all

costs and avoid just about everyone as far as writing

is concerned. people don't need to know. its a existential, solo thing. i meet

writers when i'm buying paint and they say 'yo dun,

you write?'...usually i play dumb.

*cue signature*

Guest Remy Martin

but now that i think about it...all my friends are either writers or exwriters. so its cool talking about it..in fact its most of what we talk about.

my girl used to write so she understands. my fams is shady so graff aint nothing really..other than it puts me in criminal classification with the rest of the black sheeps

allthough yeah im guilty..i blew my self up..and got a really high level job and got a fat background check so i told em i had graffiti convictions cause i didnt want em to think i was trying to hide.

buy yeah Are2 and Ink Lunatic are on point.

when i got into it with home girl i was mad hyped at going out and she started it..plus i think she knew about writing, since she got the hint at what me and myboy were doing..what was her qoute? sarcastic tone "are you guys writers" plus shes trustworthy..

godamn espresso fucks me up.

im shutting up now

when im flippin through a graf magazine at lunch, or getting down on some sketching in class, and people ask, " hey, do you do that on walls??" i mumble no very softly, so they can barely hear me, i dont even give them eye contact, i just continue along looking at the magazine or sketching, the next thing they normally say is, "thats really cool", i respond by saying nothing and continuing doing my buisness, if they ask me another question or make another comment, i put up what im doing and give them a mean stare...they should get the point to fuck off...its probably why i dont make any many friends here...but i take graf to the heart, and if all they are going to do is ask me stupid questions about graffiti and make lame comments, ill treat them like theyre nobody...my family knows, and my good friends know, but thats it.

yeah...

when im flippin through a graf magazine at lunch, or getting down on some sketching in class, and people ask, " hey, do you do that on walls??" i mumble no very softly, so they can barely hear me, i dont even give them eye contact, i just continue along looking at the magazine or sketching, the next thing they normally say is, "thats really cool", i respond by saying nothing and continuing doing my buisness, if they ask me another question or make another comment, i put up what im doing and give them a mean stare...they should get the point to fuck off...its probably why i dont make any many friends here...but i take graf to the heart, and if all they are going to do is ask me stupid questions about graffiti and make lame comments, ill treat them like theyre nobody...my family knows, and my good friends know, but thats it.

exactly...that was my high school years...many a hard stare and whatnot but people think/know im antisocial anyway so what-the-fuck-ever.

my family "knows", but theyre in denial or something.

nsk

Guest jacks raging bile duct

i dont hide shit from anyone

i tell everyone straight up:

im gonna do fr8s tonite

im doing brooklyn streets tonite

im doing a roller tonite

no need to feel ashamed about it,or even feel like a dick in some cases

fuck that, i tell everyone "im a graffiti writer" yes i bomb,yes i piece,yes ill write your name for you,whatever it is you do,make it known and be proud.

graffiti is real,real situations with real concequences.

it says alot to be a graffiti writer,u risk your ass everytime you out,whether it be gettin bagged,gettin beat,or dying.

so i say fuck everyone,if you cant except the fact that i like a little thrill in my life and i enjoy painting, then fuck you.

NEKS NEKS NEKS NEKS NEKS NEKS NEKS ABK YMI 2001..........

i enjoy leading a private life..i don't need to make all of my accomplishments known to everyone, or even to a few..after all, i don't brag on this forum about my educational and scientific achievements..

..i'm not out to prove anything..to anyone.

and i'm not looking for props because i choose to risk life and limb.

good topic...me like.

well let's see...NO ONE knows unless i want them to know. cause graff is all mine and i do it for me, fuck the rest. my family doesn't know that i vandalize. when people ask "do you right?" or "what do you write?" i either say nothing as in no response or "naw i'm retired". because the older i get the more people expect of me and what they do not know can't hurt them.

it's all about keeping it private for the long haul. and when kids ask where were you last night, "well i was gettin trashed or sleepin or fuckin". but i do not feel the need to let people know cause it's none of their fuckin business like smokin weed and shit like that.

remain anonymous always

i dont tell anyone who doesnt need to know. i treat it like i'm in the cia. on a need-to-know basis. the only people who know are my best friend (who paints also) and my mom and stepdad. my stepmom and real dad dont have a clue because i dont live with them. people see my handwriting and ask if i 'tag' and i say no..which is true..i'm a writer not a tagger. i've had people see my stash in my room and i deny painting..its really funny. even when i'm out somewhere and i'm obviously the graffiti writer i still deny it. no one needs to know who i am..just enjoy the work.

Guest Can you sign my book???

Its kinda hard to keep people you see on the regular from knowing...Like when Im at work, out of habit ill just pick up a marker and write on anything...If Im just chillin, ill grab a pad and pen, not thinkin of whos around me...Its so addictive, Ill walk into the bodega for my bodega fresh forty ounce, and if the glass is all fogged up, you know that shit is gettin wrecked...Serious though, Ive driven by my fillins with pops in the car, and hes like all sly, hey that looks familiar...And we just play off it...Im pretty much an adult, even though I dont want to be, but at this stage in my life, either your with it or not...If you dont like, cool, just dont preach to me...If your with it. hey Ill write your name dude...LOL...

Guest dukeofyork

the rents know, thank god they dont see hardly any of what i do..

they can spot my shit a mile away though. they just KNOW if they see something ive done, it really sucks. its like a child always recognizes his/her mothers voice, they recognize it instantly...

my close friends know, and im always up front with any women in my life...the last one left cause i went out too much...:rolleyes: oh well, life goes on.

sometimes i do like catching tags when i know people will be caught off guard, that shit is fun..but can be hot.....

Archived