1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

HANDLING THE "BIG SECRET" OF GRAFFITI

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by and now you choke, Oct 10, 2001.

1. and now you choke

and now you choke 12oz Elite Member

HANDLING THE "BIG SECRET" OF GRAFFITI

Discussion started by and now you choke - Oct 10, 2001

this is a question for the more serious of guys i guess...the ones who have been around for years and have gotten REALLY into painting at some point or another...but how well do you keep the fact that you do graffiti from others? how well do you hide it from the "normal" people? what do you tell people you're doing when you're actually out painting? i mean, what extents do you go to to cover it up and how much does it irritate you? how does it ever come up and when do you finally give in and explain it to someone who knows NOTHING about graffiti? it's something i've always wondered how other people handled. i find it really fucking annoying but absolutely necessary to keep the low profile. but...what's the deal huh?

and now you choke - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. CATS

CATS 12oz Senior Member

CATS - Replied Oct 10, 2001

Most of my friends know, and I'll tell them when I go out usually to invitethem. However I have told people that are on a need to know basis that I was going to another friends house, I once told this girl I was going to another girls house. I didnt get to paint walls that night but I got to paint something else. So by all means try whatever you can. Its not like your superman with a secret clark kent by day identity:cool:

CATS - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. Remy Martin

Remy Martin Guest

Remy Martin - Replied Oct 10, 2001

when talking to friends and family i trust i rarley go more than 2 subjects without mentioning painting..half cause i love it and half to irritate them and remind them that for almost the last ten years i have been writing my name all over diffrent kinds of other peoples shit...
    sometimes ill ask people if they mind if I write on things in front of them, if im feeling polite..otherwise i give em my best gangstar mug and write on somthing in front of them.
    last time i tried to have a discussion involving writing and painting on things with some one i just met. it ended with her telling me to go become a politician and i replied that i could accomplish what ever i would hope to as a politician by writing on things. also heard from my boy that was humping her that shes a brutal control freak? i mean how the fuck do you associate writing with the united states goverment on a similiar level of acheiving goals????

4. usedtolove

usedtolove Guest

usedtolove - Replied Oct 10, 2001

other writers know ...at least in the area..family knows..
    but i dont talk to starngers so...thats about it...the subject does not come up around those who dont already know about me.

5. Are2

Are2 Guest

Are2 - Replied Oct 10, 2001

..the important people in my life know..my parents, my best friend..

i'm not going to tell or explain to anyone who doesn't already know a lot about me, and some about grafitti..low profile is the name of my game..

the people that i work with don't know, i'll never tell them, same went when i was a student..

telling someone that will have an unpredictable reaction is a bad move..mostly because i don't have the patience to answer all their questions, or give them a satisfactory explanation for why i do what i do..

part of the thrill of grafitti is the anonymity..i don't wanna give it up..

and sometimes, some stranger will know who you are and what you're about..no need to explain..pretty cool..

6. mr.yuck

mr.yuck 12oz Veteran Member

mr.yuck - Replied Oct 10, 2001

i tell anyone that wants to know what im up to, but I do like to keep a low profile. So what i do is tell people that ask what im drawing that its graffiti and that it says orbet which was my old name. This way when people go out they never see anything by orbet and just think that im a big liar. Which is the truth when you think about it but whatever. No one is the wiser. Plus this way if some one eventualy wants or feels the need to rat you out due to moral obligations or what have you...There wont be any evidence linked back to you.

Shout me a holler dunny

mr.yuck - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  7. Remy Martin

Remy Martin Guest

true..
    anonymity is a key part..
    but i love hitting up shit in front of people that arent expecting it.
    especially when nicley dressed.

8. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

boogie hands - Replied Oct 10, 2001

well....parents and girlfriends....those are really the only people that need to know, parents because their your parents and you could tell them you had a barrel of dead babies in your basement and they would still kiss you on the way out the door and your girlfriend because if you lie to her about where your creeping off to at 2 am she might think your cheating on her and youll wind up with your penis glued to your stomach....

boogie hands - Rank: 12oz Legend - Messages:
  9. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Oct 10, 2001

my family, my girl and my best friends know.
    thats it. sometimes i want to scream in someone's
    face when they start in about graffiti, but don't
    know that i do it...but...i keep to myself at all
    costs and avoid just about everyone as far as writing
    is concerned. people don't need to know. its a existential, solo thing. i meet
    writers when i'm buying paint and they say 'yo dun,
    you write?'...usually i play dumb.
    *cue signature*

10. seven.13

seven.13 Dirty Dozen Crew

seven.13 - Replied Oct 10, 2001

like are2 said....

i dont have the patience or energy to explain.
    it sounds dumb anyways.

seven.13 - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  11. Remy Martin

Remy Martin Guest

but now that i think about it...all my friends are either writers or exwriters. so its cool talking about it..in fact its most of what we talk about.
    my girl used to write so she understands. my fams is shady so graff aint nothing really..other than it puts me in criminal classification with the rest of the black sheeps
    allthough yeah im guilty..i blew my self up..and got a really high level job and got a fat background check so i told em i had graffiti convictions cause i didnt want em to think i was trying to hide.
    buy yeah Are2 and Ink Lunatic are on point.
    when i got into it with home girl i was mad hyped at going out and she started it..plus i think she knew about writing, since she got the hint at what me and myboy were doing..what was her qoute? sarcastic tone "are you guys writers" plus shes trustworthy..

godamn espresso fucks me up.

im shutting up now

12. sectorTVA

sectorTVA 12oz Senior Member

sectorTVA - Replied Oct 10, 2001

when im flippin through a graf magazine at lunch, or getting down on some sketching in class, and people ask, " hey, do you do that on walls??" i mumble no very softly, so they can barely hear me, i dont even give them eye contact, i just continue along looking at the magazine or sketching, the next thing they normally say is, "thats really cool", i respond by saying nothing and continuing doing my buisness, if they ask me another question or make another comment, i put up what im doing and give them a mean stare...they should get the point to fuck off...its probably why i dont make any many friends here...but i take graf to the heart, and if all they are going to do is ask me stupid questions about graffiti and make lame comments, ill treat them like theyre nobody...my family knows, and my good friends know, but thats it.

sectorTVA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. Vanity

Vanity 12oz Veteran Member

Vanity - Replied Oct 10, 2001

my family knows.. but have no idea the extent of how much i do, and think i mostly do legals. and the kids i paint w/... even when i meet another writer, or a chick that jocks writers, i deny it.

Vanity - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. SOZER

SOZER 12oz Member

SOZER - Replied Oct 10, 2001

yeah...

exactly...that was my high school years...many a hard stare and whatnot but people think/know im antisocial anyway so what-the-fuck-ever.

my family "knows", but theyre in denial or something.

nsk

SOZER - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. Zack Morris

Zack Morris 12oz Veteran Member

Zack Morris - Replied Oct 11, 2001

so you painted a freight that night?

Zack Morris - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages: