Half ton man undergoes surgery

trackstand

(AP) A man who weighed about half a ton when he was admitted to a hospital was recovering Wednesday from obesity surgery.

Patrick Deuel, 42, underwent the procedure to reduce the size of his stomach four months after being admitted to the hospital at 1,072 pounds.

He had been bedridden since last fall and was malnourished because so many of his calories came from foods high in fat and carbohydrates.

Deuel had difficulty breathing and suffered from high blood pressure and diabetes linked to obesity that his doctor said were killing him.

Gastric bypass surgery was thought to be his best chance for permanent weight loss, but doctors said Deuel needed to lose some weight first, to gain enough strength so he could walk on his own and prove he was healthy enough to survive the surgery.

Before going into surgery on Tuesday, Deuel had lost 421 pounds. He said his diabetes and high-blood pressure were under control and credited the results to a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet and exercise.

Caregivers and others are starting to take notice of the changes, he said.

"Every time I move they don't look at me like, 'My God, he is going to fall down or something,'" Deuel told Sioux Falls television station KELO in an interview before the surgery.

Last month, Deuel took his first steps with the help of nurses and two walkers for support. More recently, he has been walking up stairs and even swimming at the hospital's pool.

Gastric bypass is the most common obesity surgery in the United States. The operation involves creating a pouch in the upper stomach and attaching it to a section of intestine, reducing the amount of food patients can eat.

Deuel, a former restaurant manager from Valentine, Neb., is just under 6 feet tall and has always fought his weight. He weighed about 90 pounds in kindergarten and more than 250 pounds in middle school.

image635335x.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

does weighting a fucking 1000 pounds just happen? you would think when you hit and sustain 7 or 800 hundred pounds and just keep getting bigger you might recognize you've gotta problem. shit, what the fuck is wrong with people.

he ain't fat, he's just BIG BONEDED. uhm, yea, ok. .

All Im going to say is... BIOLOGICAL MY ASS. Okay not really, I was once basically 100 pounds overweight, aka, obese, and Ive lost 100 pounds, and I realized it was due to my compulsive eating problems etc. It specifically says in there "high fat foods and carbs" that he was eating. Yes there is slow metabolism [i know about it, I eat very healthily but without exercise I gain weight, unlike my extremely skinny friends who eat KFC everyday and stay 90 pounds, but at least my body is healthy on the inside too].

Anyway, yeh I dont have pitty on the overweight, and yes, this dude was 1000 pounds and let himself get that way, but I respect him because at least he realized his problem and regardless his age or state is trying to change it. People who have voluntary problems whether physically or mentally who DONT do anything to change are the people who need a swift kick in the ass. At least this dude is trying to make the rest of his life a little bit more happier and eventful than before.

Kudos to him.

its so true what you say, fatita (ha.sorry), if you want to lose weight, guess what? YOU NEED TO EXERCISE MORE AND EAT LESS! i work at a place where is see soccer moms every day and hear them say shit like, "you got any pomegramates? the smell of pomegranates will increase your metabolism by 20%, you know". and all i want to say is, "you know what, tubby? get up from the tv, stop believing the bullshit in magazines, and get to the fucking gym while you wait for your kids to get home from school. THAT will make your so called 'metabolism' speed up."

i find this story to be kind of inspiring...

i feel like i need to make a decision in my life. i've been kinda chubby for about 10 years. not really fat, just not in shape. got the beer and pasta belly. i think it's time i pick one or the other and go with it.

skinny.... or fat. i either need to get in shape, or just go all out and become a seriously fat fuck. no more of this kinda chubby bullshit. it's time me to make a decision and commit to it.

i'm leaning towards goin for the fatness.

iquit, don't fall for the fatness! i mean those huge mexican and samoan dudes look cool, but a big fat jewish guy? that can't turn out well, holmes.

haha, dude, i just made the same decision. judging from the pictures, we have the same build. and you know what? its easy to lose weight if you don't play yourself. it just takes discipline. i love to drink beer. love it. but if the gut is getting me all fat and shit, fuck it, i can get off my ass enough to do something about it....

Originally posted by trackstand@Oct 29 2004, 02:36 AM

"He weighed about 90 pounds in kindergarten and more than 250 pounds in middle school."

The fact that he weighed as much in kindergarten as I weigh now is absolutely insane!

I don't know, it seemed like it was more than bad diet. It's actually pretty sad.

uhhhhhhhhhhh, dude. unless you're a midget, you need to eat a sandwich asap.

dude weighed 90 pounds in kindergarten...that's his parents fault. then you can only imagine the pschological damage he got growing up being so fat, basically destroying any motivation to get healthy.

sure it's ultimately his own responsibility, but dude was dealt a shitty hand from birth. anyone who has a 90 lb. kindergartener should be arrested for child abuse, and have the child placed in a better home

Dropping 400 pounds in a month is fucking crazy. Imagine waking up 15 pounds lighter than you were yesterday. I'd be gone in less than 2 weeks.

90 pounds in kindergarten? Send that kid to camp, or anywhere other than in front of the fucking TV.

Note to self: go skateboarding more.