"Hair Cut Heard Round The World"

Guest beardo

Guest beardo

just thought these were kinda funny and a nice change of pace for the 'ol Zero..

Oscar Gamble, 1975-76: "The Big O" owned baseball’s biggest Afro in the 1970s and likely the largest in all of baseball history. (And perhaps second only to Darnell Hillman, from American Basketball Association fame, as the largest Afro in all of 20th century sporting lore.) The Indians allowed Gamble to keep his Afro, which stretched beyond the normal dimensions of a batting helmet and sometimes made him look like he had Mickey Mouse ears, or in one particular photo, gave him a frightening hairstyle that appeared eerily similar to that of Princess Leia in Star Wars. Yet, Gamble’s hair became a real problem when he was traded by the Indians to the Yankees prior to the 1976 season. George Steinbrenner didn’t like Gamble’s hair protruding from both sides of his helmet and told his public relations director, Marty Appel, to order Oscar to remove the excess bulk. Appel arranged the now-famous "Hair Cut Heard Round The World," which cost a cool $33 (a huge amount in the 1970s economy), allowing Gamble to begin his Yankee career in appropriate conservative style. For more on Gamble’s high hair, visit our next edition of "Card Corner," which will profile his 1976 Topps Traded card.

Dock Ellis, 1973: At times, the behavior of the Pirates’ right-hander bordered on the bizarre. In perhaps his most celebrated incident, Ellis walked out onto the field before a 1973 game against the Cubs wearing a head full of hair curlers. "I think the big thing with him when he come out on Wrigley Field with the hair curlers," recalls Pirates third baseman and teammate Richie Hebner, "is that when he did that, other than surprising a lot of people at Wrigley Field, it surprised a lot of guys on the Pirate team. When I saw it, I said, ‘What the hell is this?’ " Commissioner Bowie Kuhn offered a similar reaction and reportedly conveyed his unhappiness over the hair curler episode to Bill Virdon, the successor to Danny Murtaugh as the Pirates’ manager. Virdon, relaying the commissioner’s message, told Ellis to cease his practice of wearing the curlers on the field. "Look, Dock," Virdon said, "I don’t care what you wear, but the front office doesn’t like it, the umpires don’t like it, and if you’re not careful, you’re going to get fined."

Another Pirate, slugging first baseman Bob Robertson, recalls his own involvement in the hair curler episode. "[The manager] comes to me and says, ‘Go out and ask Dock why he’s got those curlers in his hair?’ So I did. And I think, if I can remember correctly, Dock said, ‘That’s me. Those are my curls.’ And that was about it. So I went back and told [Virdon] and that was the end of that stuff." Much to Virdon’s delight, Ellis eventually would back off on preference for curls and would not wear the hair curlers on the field again.

Doc Ellis also threw a no-hitter on acid.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands

When I turned 20, and again when I turned 21, my dad gave me photos of him at those ages. He had a pretty happening fro in those days and loves to tell stories of how my grandmother hated it and would always bug him to shave it. He and my uncle came up during the civil rights movement and the black power movement, and my grandparents were a little uncomfortable with the militant side of it, which my dad and his brother never got into. Dad also told me a story about hiding his poster of Tommie Smith and John Carlos in the back of his closet. One day he came home and it was hanging on a wall in his room. My grandfather told him that he didn't agree, but if he was going to believe in something, he should be prepared to stand up for it, and not go about it half-assed.

http://img.infoplease.com/images/blackpower.jpg'>

Originally posted by Pilau Hands

When I turned 20, and again when I turned 21, my dad gave me photos of him at those ages. He had a pretty happening fro in those days and loves to tell stories of how my grandmother hated it and would always bug him to shave it. He and my uncle came up during the civil rights movement and the black power movement, and my grandparents were a little uncomfortable with the militant side of it, which my dad and his brother never got into. Dad also told me a story about hiding his poster of Tommie Smith and John Carlos in the back of his closet. One day he came home and it was hanging on a wall in his room. My grandfather told him that he didn't agree, but if he was going to believe in something, he should be prepared to stand up for it, and not go about it half-assed.

http://img.infoplease.com/images/blackpower.jpg'>

word.

awesome....love the radomness....

wish i could grow a fro.....

i just have curly hair that just does nothing really.....

story....

my boy at one of his last games as a senior, caught a game winning fly ball in the whole by diving, and then hit the game winning 2 run homerun....went 4 for 4 and had some other plays throughout the game

the crux of the story, his parents showed up...see his parents were the kind of folks that praised dave, but never went to the games...well on this particluar day, they decided since he was a senoir and was going to play division 1 baseball, they would come out and root for him during one his few last games...

the problem was, that dave had recently been accepted to play division 1 and the team had already made the playoffs, so he and a team mate had decided to take some acid and just have some fun....

well next thing he sees just after dropping it, is his fucking parents, waving at him from the stands....he just smiled, waved, and proceed to play one of the best games of his career......

never tried doing that again.....left the one memory as is......

funny things happen on acid

Guest beardo

A NEKSIS Sports Moment

June 12th, 1970 – Dock Ellis’ Round-Tripper

Most people who drop acid have a hard enough time loading their Spiritualized CDs into the stereo, let alone dealing with anything requiring a high level of manual dexterity. Dock Ellis, a right-handed pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the early '70s, threw a no-hitter while completely tripped out on acid he says was supplied by Dr. Timothy Leary himself.

Thinking he had the day off, Ellis decided to spend his Saturday by dropping three hits with his girlfriend. What he’d forgotten was that due to an earlier rained-out game, that day’s match was a doubleheader. It wasn’t until his girl glanced at the sports page and saw that Dock was scheduled to pitch the second game that he realized his rather large mistake. Most people would have called in sick faster than you can scream "freakout," but Dock managed to hop a plane from Los Angeles to San Diego (impressive enough on its own, if you ask me) and make his start.

It wasn’t exactly the tidiest no-hitter ever pitched; Ellis walked eight, loaded the bases twice, hit two batters, needed help finding his locker before the game started and bounced the first pitch of the game five feet in front of home plate because he couldn’t see the catcher. Luckily, every time he threw a fastball the ball looked like it was on fire and left a trail which remained visible to him for a couple of minutes. Ellis was suffering from acid cramps and was having a hard time keeping his balance on the mound, so he decided to simply throw the ball down the trails because he was pretty sure they led to the plate.

A couple of hours later, Ellis had won the game 2-0 and entered drug culture folklore forever. After the seventh inning he looked at the scoreboard and realized he had a no-hitter going. Too high to actually pronounce "no-hitter," he turned to a teammate and babbled "Hey, look, I’ve got a no-no going!" In baseball, tradition dictates that if your pitcher has a no-hitter in progress you don’t question anything he’s doing, even if he tries to eat the resin bag and makes out with your wife between innings, so his teammates nodded in whatever-you-say-Dock agreement and "no-no" took its place alongside dumb baseball slang like "four-bagger" and "fungo."

Ellis went on to cement his status as a Grade-A baseball badass by wearing pink hair curlers on the field, lighting fire to the bat rack in the clubhouse to motivate his teammates on one occasion and tying a major-league record in 1974 by (intentionally) hitting three batters in a row.

Guest beardo

hahaha

http://www.sirbacon.org/graphics/docke.gif'>

"That's when it was $9.50 to fly to San Diego. She got me to the airport at 3:30. I got there at 4:30, and the game started at 6:05pm. It was a twi-night doubleheader.

I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria.

I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times.

The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

"The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

hahaha.......oh man......the good ole acid dayz.....

Originally posted by beardo

Dock Ellis, 1973: At times, the behavior of the Pirates’ right-hander bordered on the bizarre. In perhaps his most celebrated incident, Ellis walked out onto the field before a 1973 game against the Cubs wearing a head full of hair curlers. "I think the big thing with him when he come out on Wrigley Field with the hair curlers," recalls Pirates third baseman and teammate Richie Hebner, "is that when he did that, other than surprising a lot of people at Wrigley Field, it surprised a lot of guys on the Pirate team. When I saw it, I said, ‘What the hell is this?’ " Commissioner Bowie Kuhn offered a similar reaction and reportedly conveyed his unhappiness over the hair curler episode to Bill Virdon, the successor to Danny Murtaugh as the Pirates’ manager. Virdon, relaying the commissioner’s message, told Ellis to cease his practice of wearing the curlers on the field. "Look, Dock," Virdon said, "I don’t care what you wear, but the front office doesn’t like it, the umpires don’t like it, and if you’re not careful, you’re going to get fined."

Doc Ellis also threw a no-hitter on acid.

correction: he picthed a DOUBLE no hitter, you know, like a double header but no one got a hit off him either game.

Archived