H.P. Lovecraft Horror

Gunm

200px-Lovecraft.jpg

For those that are affciendos or dark science fiction or horror in general, I highly reccomend reading this mans work.

Lovecraft wrote a series of stories concerning an occult world that revolved around "The Great Old Ones", dark rituals, human sacrifice, rotting underworlds beneath city streets, Elder Gods, the famed Necornomicon penned by the mad arab Abdul Alharzed, etc....

A lot of what makes it so creepy is the premise of so many of Lovecrafts stories where seemingly benign locations and places hide horrific secrets/creatures that strip people's sanity in a heartbeat.

Some good ones to read at bedtime are...

"Call of Cthullu" (THE Lovecraft story to read first)

"The Color Out of Space"

"Shadow Over Innsmouth"

"The Dunwich Horror"

Robert Bloch, author of "Psycho" also penned several stories in Lovecrafts world, my favorite being "Notebook Found in a Deserted House."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

what i like the most about his work is almost every story has basis in actual occult history[dagon] while remaining fictional, but written as a memior/diary/autobiography. in itself creating an entirely new mythology.

i'm not much for some of the newer craftian writers since olot of the put elemental traits on the gods and underlings. but a few do extremely well preserving the style of storytelling he created.

uh yea..uhm i had alot more to say and more indepth analysis of lovecraft mythos but i'm horrible at conveying my thought on subjects nonverbaly(sp?...or do i care?)

but i will say...my city has the illest collection of august derleth's work..fiction and non on of the few things wisconsin was good for...that and serial killers..

arkham publishers history

http://www.arkhamhouse.com/

the complete works of h.p lovecraft

the silver key is my favorite since it sorta the start to the explanation of his mythos where in the end his character..

cthulhugothic.jpg

bought this a year ago.

couldnt remember the site...but this is close enough

edit...

i'm begining to think this was a clever ploy to get me to rant and rave about something i'm into

weird dude, but wrote great horror...had a very deep insight into the inner workings of writing for the genre. the 'weird tale', etc. good reading for any sleepless night. also check out august derleth. contemporary/friend of lovecraft. wrote some associated tales that are pretty cool.

derleth was a socialite around my town. he did this weird ass book about the familial history of a howards grove family that eerily reads like one of his cthulhu mythos stories minus the horror..

and neil gaimen of "the sandman" comic fame is heavily influenced by lovecrafts work

and without the cthulhu mythos we wouldnt have tentacle hentai anime...not that i uh ever watched it

Guest imported_Europe

Lovecraft writing is very scary and very weird. I used to love it and read it as a teenager.

And the best RPG ever is based on the Cthulhu Mythos, Call of Cthulhu.