H E R O

T=E=A=S=E

forgive me if this has already been brought up. i havent been keeping up with CH.0 lately because of work...

but have you seen the commercials for this movie? looks dope...

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/pix/hero.jpg'>

ps- I'm not really big on those kung-fu fighting type of movies, but there were some shots in the commercials that had me like damn, that shit looks pretty cool. (like the shitload of arrows hurling at that guy)

i think its going to be good.

im also getting that movie "TAKING LIVES" this tuesday.

;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by TheoHuxtab|e

Yeah this is a great movie. Best "kung fu" flick I've ever seen. Way better than Crouching Tiger, HIdden Dragon.

That film is now played in the states? i watched it on a theater like 2 years ago..anyway, its amazing but its a Crouching tiger hidden dragon ripoff, truth be told

Originally posted by oneeightyone

i saw it about 8 months ago, shit's pretty good, not the best kung fu flick but it's up there.

i got a dvd that had subtitles about a year ago. took me a while to get it to work because i couldnt read what section i was going into, haha, anywho, i thought it was a good movie. its not a rip off of crouching tiger, the story line is so much better.id defend this point by explaining exactly what i mean, but some people havent seen this movie. rip-off, hah.

Pretty sure I saw a preview for this when I saw Kill Bill 2. I agree, it looks pretty awesome. I guess it was one of China's biggest movies. Didn't look like too much of a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie. I read about that style of filming sword films (surreal, exaggerated) is a pretty standard way of doing films over there now. I dunno, don't we have someone here living in China?

Originally posted by fermentor666

Nothing, except that his production company is distributing it in the US.

Ohh..well it's cool that I get to see it now, but I kind of expected more when it says "Quintin Tarantino Presents..." More than just the use of his name to sell tickets anyways..

Originally posted by Crimsøn

Ohh..well it's cool that I get to see it now, but I kind of expected more when it says "Quintin Tarantino Presents..." More than just the use of his name to sell tickets anyways..

yea when i heard that shit, i was like damn, he just got done with the kill bill series not to long ago... now this shit? that guy is a workaholic...

and now i hear he is just presenting it to the US.

either way im going to see it...

it's not a bite off cthd, cthd was a bite off of the previous 15 years of HK kung fu. the over exagerated swordplay and flying is a seperate genre within the world of kung fu films. i dont know much about this film, but im willing to bet you can rent it already from any 'independent/art' video store. black mask was out for 5 years or so before it came to america (and sucked). and as stated, like iron monkey, quinten just brought the movie to america. they're not really relying on his name to sell the film, most tarantino fans already know who jet li is, and know why they should see this.

i've been out of the loop for a few years, but kung fu flics used to be my shit. i'm pretty stoked for this.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by seeking

it's not a bite off cthd, cthd was a bite off of the previous 15 years of HK kung fu.

Exactly, cthd was the more refined, western kung fu movie ever made.

It challenged the matrix's special effects, and titanic's cry baby status.Nothing you wouldnt expect from an asian director that practically spend his whole carreer doing

western films. HERO is a cthd ripoff not because its kung fu but mainly because Yimou Zhang, the director after shooting numerous classic kung fu films decided to use cthd's secret western success formula.

The film is dope, you'll see it and you'll love it. But you cant deny the fact that cthd changed kung fu films once and forever.

Viva Hollywood

i don't think it changed the films being made, it just defined the standard of what we in america will accept, and thus what will be imported to us. straight up kung fu isn't enough for us here, we need it packaged as a fairy tale love story. the only difference between cthd and comet butterly and sword or, legend of fong sai yuk, or tai chi, or any of the other similarly styled films, is that cthd was slightly more 'mature' in its romance, and presented with that as the central theme. it was marketed as some sort of fucking 'foreign art' film, so all these bougie ass motherfuckers were rushing to the theaters like it was the new coffee house conversation piece. eff all that.

Guest imported_Tesseract

The same package is being made for the entire west, not just america. In europe japanese/chinese movies where always worshipped as trully visual masterpieces, HK kung fu was never high...so cthd comes to sell karate in a really artistic suit. Its sounds like i hated both films, which isnt the case, i'm just observing.

Speaking of, Tarantino presents HERO to the US after he made the biggest HK kung fu ripoff ever.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

From Wired:

American martial arts fans have waited long enough for Hero. Now director Zhang Yimou's 2002 epic, the second-highest-grossing movie in Chinese history, is finally coming to the US. When it arrives stateside August 20, audiences will get to see Jet Li - whose kung fu flicks made him a Hong Kong megastar - show his mettle in China's other leading martial arts film genre: wuxia.

Based on the mythical exploits of early swordsmen, wuxia has been a part of Asian cinema since the silent era, but most Westerners got their first taste from Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Zhang's picture is much truer to the tradition. Set in the third century BC, when the king of Qin was waging a brutal campaign to become China's first emperor, Hero presents Li as a classic wuxia figure, a lone warrior who eliminates a trio of assassins to secure an audience with the king. As he sits before the future emperor, his story is told and retold in dazzling flashes of swordplay - bravura, gravity-defying displays that turn on such exquisite details as the flight path of a single drop of water.

"Wuxia is actually a spirit, a philosophy," Zhang told Wired on his way home from Cannes, where he premiered his second wuxia picture, House of Flying Daggers, a medieval actioner expected to hit US theaters later this year. "A martial arts person is willing to sacrifice his life to help somebody, but the best fighter never kills. The theme of wuxia is to use your heart to change people. In this, I believe, are the roots of China."

Originally posted by Tesseract

The same package is being made for the entire west, not just america. In europe japanese/chinese movies where always worshipped as trully visual masterpieces, HK kung fu was never high...so cthd comes to sell karate in a really artistic suit. Its sounds like i hated both films, which isnt the case, i'm just observing.

Speaking of, Tarantino presents HERO to the US after he made the biggest HK kung fu ripoff ever.

Yeah I noticed that, what exactly do they mean by him "presenting" it, even though he had nothing to do with the making of the film?

You didn't like the Kill Bill movies? I dunno, it seemed to get very mixed reviews. Either people hated it a lot it or loved it a lot.

Oh yeah, y'all need to go see Michael Jai White's deleted scene from the Kill Bill Vol. 2 DVD. That shit was hilarious. A black dude talking in a vintage corny Kung Fu voice (i.e. "Hmmph! You bastard... you think you can defeat me? Not with my patented Fire Dragon Power Punch!")... yeah that shit was great. But props to Michael Jai, he's a great actor.