GTA cops all the abuse

vyper-

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Greensberg, Pennsylvania?

Those guys must have been kings of Amish Country or something.

Seriously what the fuck were these kids thinking:

guy1-Dude lets start graffing!

guy2-Oh, like in that tony hawk game?

guy1-Yeah it looks cool and maybe the black kids will think that were cool with a name like gang kids unite!

guy2-Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
Teens say "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas made us do it"

We seem top be hearing this more and more lately. Five middle-school boys in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, have been arrested, charged in a graffiti blitz they blame on a video game.

The boys range in age from 12 to 14 and are charged with institutional vandalism, criminal conspiracy, criminal mischief and desecration of venerated objects.

Police in the western Pennsylvania town say the youngsters have admitted spray-painting the initials "G-K-U" on more than a dozen buildings, including a synagogue, an art museum and a Christian thrift store. The initials supposedly stand for "gang kids united." Police say the boys claim they were inspired by the video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas."

robbed from graphotism

Originally posted by Lil Bro G@Jan 21 2005, 05:47 PM

wow i find that sad for some reason.

I think its great for the following reasons.

1. It could slow down the way graff is becoming so mainstream such as in commercials, ads, logos, and video games.

2. Dumb fuckin kids will go paint anything if they don't know what's up: i.e. painting cynagogues, art museums, and christian stores. Therefor thier charges will be more serious and they will probably stop toying up the town. :innocent:

Originally posted by JonCoaltrain+Jan 21 2005, 01:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JonCoaltrain - Jan 21 2005, 01:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Lil Bro G@Jan 21 2005, 05:47 PM

wow i find that sad for some reason.

I think its great for the following reasons.

1. It could slow down the way graff is becoming so mainstream such as in commercials, ads, logos, and video games.

2. Dumb fuckin kids will go paint anything if they don't know what's up: i.e. painting cynagogues, art museums, and christian stores. Therefor thier charges will be more serious and they will probably stop toying up the town. :innocent:

[/b]

Good points.

That brings up interesting issues though.

Society becoming accustomed to graff's presence in general has good and bad results. Many countries are starting to create "designated areas" for writers to piece and whatnot, which I don't think is necessarily a bad idea in itself.

On the other hand, it's not specific to writers anymore. It becomes a marketing whore (with money to be made nonetheless).

You can't really say commercialization wasn't inevitable though. It happens to many marginalized movements (e.g. punk, etc). With getting heard, comes a perversion of the message I guess.

Either way both the kids and their parents are dumb.

commericalization of graf pisses me off

I dont know about you guys but ive never been paid for any of the shit ive done. In fact i pay for my cans and ive paid fines for writing. The fact that some fucking dickhole decides that he can sell more Sprite and make more money by exploiting graf doesnt sit well with me. People that dont give a shit about graffiti should leave it alone.