Grooming [products]

TheoHuxtable..

Wanted to start a thread on grooming items. What you use, recommend, etc. I tend to like to experiment with different products so I figure talking about it may come in handy.

Aftershaves, Colognes, Shave cream, Razors, Hair clippers/trimmers, Hair Gels, Lotions, Facial Cleansers, Body Washes, Deodorants, Toothpaste, Waxing body hair, etc.

Oh and No Homo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Grooming

Start off with a couple items in the shaving category:

proraso%20aftershave%20cream%20large.jpg

Was recommended this Italian-imported Proraso aftershave lotion and used some after a shave today... felt good and smells good. Has a menthol tingle and smell to it. As I said, I like to experiment with different things despite having a particular brand I may use religiously. Apparently Proraso products are a big deal amongst the shaving sub-culture; especially those that shave with straight edge razors or other old school safety razors. Recommended.

aveeno-shave-gel.jpg

Live by this stuff... good for sensitive skin. Kinda "soothes" the skin and prevents breakouts and irritation.

Neutrogena-Men-Sensitive-Skin-Post-Shave-Balm-3.jpeg

This is new and know a couple people that use this. Has a real "slick" feel, almost like a slimy feel. But feels good after you put it on after a shave. Seals, protects, and moisturizes.

wpaccb3142_05.jpg

Alum Block... I never knew what an "alum block" was until recently. You put this on before you apply the after shave. You slide the block across your face and it closes any visible or invisible nicks and has a cooling tingle to it. It has multiple uses... also is an antiseptic and stops bleeding.

Dermalogica cleanser ... !!! I cant live without this.

dermalogica_clean_bar.jpg

Also, bio-oil is amazing... Night cream (around eyes), nail cuticle cream, gets rid of scars, stretch marks, dry skin, cuts, burns... The list goes on. I want to dive in a vat of this stuff after every shower. I love it. All of my girlfriends who are now mummy's rubbed this stuff on their belly's during pregnancy and not a stretch mark to be seen. I cant recommend it enough! Another essential.

d7_4dd9f884ad95f.JPG

I'd recommend Dermalogica body wash too. Amazing.

My sister was a beauty therapist for over 10 years before going into nursing, her general rule of thumb (for good skin) is avoid soap based products. They're harsh and dry you out.

As far as waxing goes, try laser. Lasts longer, isnt as painful, no ingrowns. Making the change from waxing to laser sessions literally changed my life. Price is about the same.

Gucci and Chanel make the best scents... for girls and boys :] (except hugo boss original, which is the best boy smell ever)...

I wouldnt call myself high maintenance, im just super particular about the products I use!

• Like 1

i use wahls. the last set i had lasted about 5 years with no problems, just oiled em a couple times. not bad for 25 bucks and used atleast 2x a week.

i keep my head 'shaved' with them, i'm too lazy to bic it on the regular.

as such i don't use shampoo or any styling products, just bodywash all over...

Kiehl's got an awesome shaving cream. I got a sample of it a few years ago and always meant to buy but never got around to it. Now L'oreal bought them out and I'm not sure I they changed the formula.

Bought one of these for the shower (NH)

axe+detailer.jpg

Axe Detailer... works good and is better than a regular washcloth... and the red part is supposed to be for heavy-duty scrubbing (calluses, etc.)... they call it a "detailer", but when you look at it, all it is a loofah like what chicks use, with something attached, designed to make it look more masculine.

I cook with and drink grapeseed oil and moisturize daily. Never missing a day to put cream on the face and lotion on the body is something my mom instilled into me since I was little.

I only shave twice a week and my razors last a long time.

I'm over 30 and to this day I get called a "babyface". Here and there.

But I do smoke, drink a ton, and have been doing a lot of blow lately while not exercising nearly enough. This can't last.

• 1 month later...

Well,a good list of good items actually. I've seen and tried probaby 40% of what you've posted here. I should probably experiment with the other products, like Aveeno, as well to give them recommendation. I'm quite interested in that ; )

A good post, I like that.

Try this free mkv to avi converter. Make your work easier!

My pops still uses those brushes. I don't have the patience.

Just picked up some American Crew Pomade. I now have a regular haircut need something to lay my hair flat. Anybody use thus stuff?

ok, so ever since that shaving thread on channel zero, i have gotten waaaaaay into shaving (maybe a little bit too much) and have spent hours and hours learning as much as i can on wet shaving, and have even registered on 3 different wet shaving forums (straightrazorplace, badger&blade, and the shave den)

yes theo, proraso is used alot by people that wet shave...they apparently also use to sell it in target, but they stopped....some other brands that people use besides proraso for shaving include the following:

cella

d.r. harris

colonel conk

arko

mama bear

truefitt & hill

etc etc

sometimes i use anthony's logistics (shaving cream):

AnthonyLogisticsShaveCream.jpg

sometimes i use arko (shaving stick):

arko_7508.jpg

sometimes i use van der hagen luxury soap (shaving soap):

VDH-Scented-Luxury-Soap.png

sometimes i use the art of shaving (another shaving cream):

1104-the-art-of-shaving-shaving-cream.jpg

once i go through these, im gonna experiment with other brands of shave creams, shave sticks and shaving soaps....especially mama bear...theres a video on youtube showing a good lather...theres also a brand called razor rock and another brand called the bomb..i might also try colonel conk brands because they sell it at the local cigar shop and i wont have to order it online.

i agree with boats on using a brush...i havent personally used boar or horse hair, but i have used pure badger hair (not the silvertip badger hair).

my badger hair brush is from the art of shaving.

target just came out with a luxury line of van der hagen shave sets...its only $20 so i bought it...its actually a really really good starter set for someone who wants to start wet shaving:

300.JPG

buying it online will run you anywhere from $30-$40 but if you find a local target that has it, its a good deal for $20 (the same exact set sold for more online)...but not all targets carry the set....luckily, there was a target that wasnt too far that had it.

as you can see, it comes with its own brush (which is synthetic badger hair), but lathers the soap really well...so this was my second brush.

also, it has a apothecary mug (which if bought online alone can run you $30 for a similar one)...the apothecary mug alone was worth the $20 i spent at target.

it also comes with a soap and a stand to hold both your brush and razor (straight or saftey)

i had a parker safety razor which broke in the shower (yes, i shave in the shower....and you dont really need a fog free mirror...i just use a vanity mirror i bought from marshalls and coat it with a thin layer of barbasol shaving cream and then wash off...this stops the mirror from fogging up)...anyways, my parker razor fell to the ground and broke...cheap because it was made in india...so i replaced it with a long handled merkur (from germany)...i use double edged feather blades (from japan) and get a nice close shave in the shower by using a three pass (once wtg-with the grain...once atg--against the grain and once xtg--across the grain).

i also use the art of shaving preshave oil and aftershave...sometimes i use this aftershave:

obsession-after-shave-balm.jpg

i want to try the tabac shaving cream and aftershave too.

ive been saving up to get a good straight razor....maybe a dovo, but i also need a good leather strop...want to buy some waterstone hones too to learn how to hone...if anyone wants to get into straight razor shaving, let me know so i can pass on a good website to get them on the cheap in shave ready condition.

i've been also hitting up a lot of antique stores looking for quality razors (sheffield/solingen steel) so that i can restore a straight edge razor...and replace the scales and all that...it might end up being a lot of work, but much cheaper than buying a new straight edge.

some straight edge razors are very expensive, especially rare ones like the filarmonica razors from spain.

fuck...i feel like im rambling....lets just say im waaaaay too into shaving...shaving nerd oner.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cologne

I've been rocking the same shit for a decade now and my bottles are on fumes.

Any suggestions from the singles out there what womenz b appreciatin' these days?

Anywhere from colognes that make you smell shower fresh to traditional, manly scents like sex panther.