Grocery store goes to fingerprint payments

Dawood

I'm surprised this thread didn't hit crossfire a long time ago.

Indivos.gif

Grocery store goes to fingerprint payments

Piggly Wiggly debuts feature, privacy expert slams new technology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: March 4, 2004

The Piggly Wiggly grocery chain has announced it will begin offering a high-tech payment feature allowing customers in several stores to pay using their fingerprints.

With a touch of the finger to a light-sensitive pad, patrons will be able to pay for their groceries, provided they have an account in the store's system that can be debited, reported the Columbia, S.C., State.

The paper says stores in Columbia and Charleston are set to install the technology.

According to Pay By Touch, the San Francisco-based firm whose product is being used, the system takes 10 seconds to OK a payment by fingerprint.

Customer Karen Seymore is open to using the technology, the State reports.

"Not that it takes a lot of time to scan a debit card, but the finger scan would be more convenient," said Seymore, 32. "I'd just want to make sure the information is secure and couldn't get out to someone wanting to do damage."

Pay By Touch claims customers' personal information is stored in a secure database and cannot be accessed by unauthorized parties. The company says other stores that have utilized the technology find three-fourths of their customers sign up to use the fingerprint system.

Many privacy activists, however, oppose fingerprint payment technology. Katherine Albrecht is founder and director of Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering.

"We're extremely opposed to it," she told WND. "Of all forms of security, fingerprints are perhaps the least secure."

Albrecht explained research that has been done to show how a mold of a fingerprint can be made that then can easily be used to make a gelatin print. The fake print can be fit over someone's finger to be used fraudulently in a scanner.

"Why would you pick something [for security purposes] that you leave everywhere?" she asked, referring to fingerprints.

Albrecht also says fingerprinting is one small step away from embedded chips being used for payment. She says her organization is opposed to any sort of technology that can be used to track shoppers.

"When you eliminate cash, you eliminate anonymity," she explained, saying any kind of technology that tracks purchases can be used by governments to control food supplies.

According to Albrecht, an independently owned Thriftway store in Seattle was the first to use fingerprint payment technology about a year ago. Kroger then followed suit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

When I was a wee tot in a ghetto of miami some 20some odd years ago there was a grocery store that fingerprinted EVERYONE that came through that store, man, woman, or child. It wasn't a credit system though.

Even at that tender age I thought it was odd to be treated like a criminal.

I don't, actually ,but, I help this older guy who has no transportation go to the store and stuff like that and he likes to shop there, Well one time I was just browsing through the refridgerated section and stumbled on this PIG HEAD!!!! I was like , WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? DO PEOPLE EAT PIG HEAD? It was all wrapped up in cellophane sitting on one of those styrofoam trays just gawking up at me , tounge all out and what not......When i saw that , I was like Damn, I'm really in the south now.......nuts.

Originally posted by Dawood@Sep 22 2005, 09:50 PM

I don't, actually ,but, I help this older guy who has no transportation go to the store and stuff like that and he likes to shop there, Well one time I was just browsing through the refridgerated section and stumbled on this PIG HEAD!!!! I was like , WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? DO PEOPLE EAT PIG HEAD? It was all wrapped up in cellophane sitting on one of those styrofoam trays just gawking up at me , tounge all out and what not......When i saw that , I was like Damn, I'm really in the south now.......nuts.

I don't because I'm vegetarian...YOU don't because you're Muslim...but, yeah, folks out there eat some off the wall shit...pigs' feet? Dude, THOSE THINGS LIVE IN FUCKING MANURE!!!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Originally posted by shai hulud+Sep 23 2005, 11:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shai hulud - Sep 23 2005, 11:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Sep 22 2005, 09:50 PM

I don't because I'm vegetarian...YOU don't because you're Muslim...but, yeah, folks out there eat some off the wall shit...pigs' feet? Dude, THOSE THINGS LIVE IN FUCKING MANURE!!!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

[/b]

I actually stopped eating pork way before I became a Muslim. When I stopped eating pork, I can't even remember why. I was like 19 , damn, that was years ago. Its been over 10 years since I ate any pork. (well at least , to my knowledge) Because they put pork in everything nowadays. Its in the yellow # 5 and the monodiglycarides and even in the enzymes used to make cheese.

I'm with you on that, I don't want them suckers knowing about every purchase i made that day. its bad enough they know what ATM i went to etc. etc.

Besides, It seems like a security issue also, I mean If I got all this cash sitting on my fingerprints, Wouldn't I have to worry about where I leave my fingerprints? I mean, How hard would it be for someone to take a lift of my print, Like the police do and make some sort of latex print replication. I would think celebrities and known millionaires would be a target of something like that if this fingerprint thing ever got big.

Bump that, anyway, when the dollars value drops, hopefully I'll be sittin on enough gold to get bizzy.

Big Brother under the skin

By Judi McLeod

Thursday, September 22, 2005

It's 2005 and Big Brother is not watching you; he's under your skin.

A company is implanting Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags in corpses in Mississippi to help identify the dead in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Principals of Florida-based VeriChip said RFID tags had already been implanted into 100 corpses on behalf of the Mississippi State Department of Health. (1993-2005 Red Herring Inc.).

Those who lost their lives to Katrina not only suffered in life when rescuers didn't arrive, but suffer the loss of dignity as chipped corpses.

More than 700 souls were claimed on the Gulf Coast during the storm.

Already angling to RFID the rest of the corpses, the company, a subsidiary of publicly traded Applied Digital Solutions, is now negotiating with Louisiana health authorities.

"These bodies are in an advanced stage of decomposition," said John Procter, VeriChip's director of communication. "Many of them have no identification marks, no wallets, no IDs. In some cases a toe tag is not even viable."

Small comfort indeed to surviving family members who cannot be sure of the fate of missing loved ones.

Although the company is providing the chipping services for free, Proctor says it costs $200 to tag each corpse.

Using RFID to identify corpses is the latest trend in the expanding field of RFID, which is expected to someday replace the kind of barcode technology you see at your local supermarket. The growing RFID market, which commonly tracks goods in a supply chain and streamlines factories, is estimated to become a multibillion-dollar industry by 2010.

But corpses unlike commodities, call for dignity and respect.

Looks like the people who predicted it weren't "Internet conspiracy theorists" after all.

Last October, the company received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for a rice-sized chip that's implantable in humans. In a practice that's straight out of the movies, the company implants the device with a syringe under the skin of its customers.

With an infinitesimal chip, you can be tracked down anywhere as the chip can be read by reader enabling applications in fields that require location tracking and speedy identification. The company has been selling its services to both the security and health industries.

The process of implanting identification tags under live skin began in the pet industry. But the concept didn't seem so Orwellian when it was used to find the family pet.

Critics of the chip are raising concerns around the issue of privacy because the radio signal emitted from the tag could be tracked by any unknown source. A wife, hiding from a physically abusive husband, for example, could be tracked down no matter how far she flees. An implanted chip could potentially expose the implanted to anyone looking to use the information for harm, if the chip could unlock personal or medical information.

Blackmail could find a new lucrative breeding ground.

Detractors of the process have been complaining that the millions of pets, which already have a similar system, would someday lead to mandatory RFID for humans.

Executives offering to be chipped have become part of the company's marketing. On Sept. 19, the company was to publicly chip a "senior executive" of the investment bank Merriman Curhan Ford in downtown San Francisco.

In July, Tommy Thompson, the former head of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services joined the company's board as a booster of chipping health and security customers. Thompson promised to have the company's RFID tag implanted when his busy schedule allows it.

It was a public relations exercise that launched RFID for human application when VeriChip chipped patrons of a bar in Spain, enabling them to use a bar tab by swiping their arms under an RFID reader.

Meanwhile, industry has closed off the gap between you and the long-waited Big Brother.

some crazy shit..

• 2 weeks later...