Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Grocery store goes to fingerprint payments

Discussion in 'News' started by Dawood, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Dawood

Dawood Elite Member

I'm surprised this thread didn't hit crossfire a long time ago.

[​IMG]

Grocery store goes to fingerprint payments
    Piggly Wiggly debuts feature, privacy expert slams new technology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: March 4, 2004

The Piggly Wiggly grocery chain has announced it will begin offering a high-tech payment feature allowing customers in several stores to pay using their fingerprints.

With a touch of the finger to a light-sensitive pad, patrons will be able to pay for their groceries, provided they have an account in the store's system that can be debited, reported the Columbia, S.C., State.

The paper says stores in Columbia and Charleston are set to install the technology.

According to Pay By Touch, the San Francisco-based firm whose product is being used, the system takes 10 seconds to OK a payment by fingerprint.

Customer Karen Seymore is open to using the technology, the State reports.

"Not that it takes a lot of time to scan a debit card, but the finger scan would be more convenient," said Seymore, 32. "I'd just want to make sure the information is secure and couldn't get out to someone wanting to do damage."

Pay By Touch claims customers' personal information is stored in a secure database and cannot be accessed by unauthorized parties. The company says other stores that have utilized the technology find three-fourths of their customers sign up to use the fingerprint system.

Many privacy activists, however, oppose fingerprint payment technology. Katherine Albrecht is founder and director of Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering.

"We're extremely opposed to it," she told WND. "Of all forms of security, fingerprints are perhaps the least secure."

Albrecht explained research that has been done to show how a mold of a fingerprint can be made that then can easily be used to make a gelatin print. The fake print can be fit over someone's finger to be used fraudulently in a scanner.

"Why would you pick something [for security purposes] that you leave everywhere?" she asked, referring to fingerprints.

Albrecht also says fingerprinting is one small step away from embedded chips being used for payment. She says her organization is opposed to any sort of technology that can be used to track shoppers.

"When you eliminate cash, you eliminate anonymity," she explained, saying any kind of technology that tracks purchases can be used by governments to control food supplies.

According to Albrecht, an independently owned Thriftway store in Seattle was the first to use fingerprint payment technology about a year ago. Kroger then followed suit.

2. MrJackDaniels

MrJackDaniels Member

so does this mean we will see a load of people minus the tops of their fingers due to a spate of grocery-related robbings..?

3. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

He said "Piggly Wiggly."

4. villain

villain Veteran Member

When I was a wee tot in a ghetto of miami some 20some odd years ago there was a grocery store that fingerprinted EVERYONE that came through that store, man, woman, or child. It wasn't a credit system though.
    Even at that tender age I thought it was odd to be treated like a criminal.

5. Dawood

Dawood Elite Member

I agree, thats gotta be the dumbest name for a grocery store.

6. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

7. Dawood

Dawood Elite Member

I don't, actually ,but, I help this older guy who has no transportation go to the store and stuff like that and he likes to shop there, Well one time I was just browsing through the refridgerated section and stumbled on this PIG HEAD!!!! I was like , WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? DO PEOPLE EAT PIG HEAD? It was all wrapped up in cellophane sitting on one of those styrofoam trays just gawking up at me , tounge all out and what not......When i saw that , I was like Damn, I'm really in the south now.......nuts.

8. __ __ __ __

__ __ __ __ Elite Member

9. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

I don't because I'm vegetarian...YOU don't because you're Muslim...but, yeah, folks out there eat some off the wall shit...pigs' feet? Dude, THOSE THINGS LIVE IN FUCKING MANURE!!!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

10. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

I wonder if this is going to catch on?

11. Dawood

Dawood Elite Member

I don't because I'm vegetarian...YOU don't because you're Muslim...but, yeah, folks out there eat some off the wall shit...pigs' feet? Dude, THOSE THINGS LIVE IN FUCKING MANURE!!!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
    [post=4119458]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I actually stopped eating pork way before I became a Muslim. When I stopped eating pork, I can't even remember why. I was like 19 , damn, that was years ago. Its been over 10 years since I ate any pork. (well at least , to my knowledge) Because they put pork in everything nowadays. Its in the yellow # 5 and the monodiglycarides and even in the enzymes used to make cheese.

12. Harvey Wallbanger

Harvey Wallbanger Dirty Dozen Crew

C'mon, me and Clay are gonna go fuck up that Piggly Wiggly sign!

13. mr.yuck

mr.yuck Veteran Member

Doesnt this have something to do with the mark of the beast. Im being for real.

14. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

^^^I think that has more to do with the microchips they are putting under peoples skin that the FDA approved a couple of weeks ago

15. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

NO WAY , not me not ever . Call me crazy , call me paranoid , but theres never gonna be a chance i would allow the gov't such easy access into the day to day of my life . Those motherfuckers pry into everything already.