green card

ubejinxed

If a person you loved needed a green card, would you marry them, even if you didn't necessarily want to spend the rest of you life with them? Say if this person did not get their green card they would continue to live as a non-person in their country of domicile, can't go back to their home country to see their family if they want to come back here and could possibly get deported. You would have to be married for 2yrs for them to become a legal resident alien.

would you tell your family? would you keep it quiet until the waiting period of 2yrs is up?

what do you think.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. are you speaking from experience? Like, are you going through that right now?

I really don't know.........

I don't think I would. Only if I loved them and wanted to be with them forever, then of course yeah. But if not, nah.. i can't do it...

reminds me of that rocko's modern life episode.. i fucking miss that show.

ok yah i'm going through it.

i live with him. i lived with him and his mom and dad for two months. he's gone on trips with my dad, met all my family. he's helped me build my house.

i dunno. i want to help and i love him but... i only want to get married once.. i've been struggling with this for the past year. i mean what's the big deal anyways, but it really is for me.

sigh. the time draws nigh

i knew a hippie girl and two of her friends who did this for a meager sum of cash...roughly $1000

they knew some, say, Polynesian immigrants who were good people and just needed to find a way to stay in the lovely u.s.

they all got married in simple ceremonies...one of the hippie girl's boyfriends even attended

when i heard all this, two of the girls were talking about 'their husbands' in casual conversation..the boyfriend of one was sitting right there...they told me the circumstances (just like i said, some random dudes needed to stay in the country), the boyfriend was just nodding and smiling..

truthfully, i was taken aback..after all, i do have some respect for the institution of marriage...these kids just did not give a fuck, not the girls, not the boyfriend...apparently, the husband was a safety net...the girls would call 'em if they were desperate for a little cash...other than that, they didn't really see or speak to each other

i kinda couldn't believe it..the girls seemed a little young (at the time of marriage, 20-23) to have written off marriage to the point that they would marry a stranger for what amounts to a couple bucks..

oh well....diff'rent strokes i guess.

it doesn't seem like you guys are going to eventually get married (to me, a total and complete stranger so maybe i'm wrong)..this is more a favor to him..

if that is the case, discuss this at length in case the day comes that you want a divorce because you want to go your own way

you 2 have to decide if its for love (doesn't seem like it if you're asking this)

or if its for convenience, and maybe passion

he may be worth it, after all, either way...only you can decide what you are willing to sacrifice for him

your car insurance will drop at least, but ask yourself are there any benefits to you?

of course, you will get to stay with him and maybe earn his undying thanks, but that does not guarantee undying love

basically, have no illusions about this.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by ubejinxed

If a person you loved needed a green card, would you marry them, even if you didn't necessarily want to spend the rest of you life with them? Say if this person did not get their green card they would continue to live as a non-person in their country of domicile, can't go back to their home country to see their family if they want to come back here and could possibly get deported. You would have to be married for 2yrs for them to become a legal resident alien.

would you tell your family? would you keep it quiet until the waiting period of 2yrs is up?

what do you think.

i would. if i loved someone, and if it didnt necessarily mean that we would be together forever, it wouldnt matter to me. i love my friend and would do anything to have them stay here.

i love my friend but i cant marry her. she's here for a while now, she lost her passport and its expired too. so she's sorta stuck here with no form of ID. there were ideas passed around for someone to marry her but no one would do it. if she leaves the country, the gov. will find out that she's over stayed with no passport and send her ass back for a very long time.

so she's basically staying here until she feels like she wants to leave.

yah, thanks dev.

that's exactly where i was at.

i owe the kid and i trust him it's been 3 years now so i know he won't do anything to fuck me over. he's more grateful than anything. his life has been on hold for a long time. he could've fixed everything when he was younger but he never gave a shit.

he said he would prove to me how thankful he was, but i just told him just show me what you can do with YOURself with what this will give you.

i'm not telling my parents or friends really. it's just until he gets all his papers, then we can decide where to go from there.

it took him 2 yrs to get me to agree to this, as you can see from the date of the orginal post. we both entered into this knowing that it's just to help him.

it was very strange saying the vows though.

ube got married?

holy shit.

umm, wow.

I'm with !@#$%. I only want to get married once. If one of my friends needed the marriage just for the green card...I'd hook her up with one of my other friends. I'm sure I could find someone willing to do it.

and yeah...I have to admit my first thought upon seeing this thread was...one of Ube's Brazilians needs a green card. ha-ha.

good luck.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

I'm with !@#$%. I only want to get married once. If one of my friends needed the marriage just for the green card...I'd hook her up with one of my other friends. I'm sure I could find someone willing to do it.

QUOTE]

yah that's what i thought..... i swore i'd do it once, but i want to help and since i can i will, it took a long time to get me to help though. i don't consider this a real marriage either, it's just legal stuff.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by SteveAustin

and yeah...I have to admit my first thought upon seeing this thread was...one of Ube's Brazilians needs a green card. ha-ha.

Hahaha... Brazilian Mail Order Grooms.

Sorry.

Archived