Graphic Design Techniques

TRYBOL

Ok I know there was a thread about graphic design sites, but how about techniques.

Someone has a question about a design, project, technique and we exchange our knowledge on the subject. So I will start it off with a question.

How do you get that spray paint and drip style effect that they have on the vapors cover, and many other posters i've seen to print so clean. Also I've seen allot of band logos with the broken, almost paint cracking style font. How is that achieved? I have done it where I pick a font print it to my desired size, cut the font out stencil style, then used a sponge with paint and apply it to the stencil. you get the same effect, but then you have to scan it in and play with it to use it in lets say adobe illustrator etc.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread is to exchange graphic design techniques and THATS IT!

if you saw some good techniques on a website or poster or billboard

and you wondering how it was done then ask and maybe someone will help you out.

I run my own company and if anyone has graphic design questions then by all means ask, and I'll do my best to help.

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR KINDERGARDEN BULLSHIT!!!

SO GO FIND ANOTHER THREAD THANKYOU

what youre asking for isnt even graphic design techniques.

what you are asking for is how certain people have achieved certain aesthetics. that is where the magic and the ingenuity of the designer is appreciated.. personally for you to be asking about how to make drips and how to do dirty stencil fonts is silly. figure out your own aesthetic.

if you want a straight answer to your query. the best way to get dirty is to stay dirty. do not use premade fonts directly if you want that "hardcore/punk" type treatment. just like in painting it shows when you use paint straight out of a tube.

if you want to ask real graphic design questions they should be related to the application of graphic design .. DESIGN.. to a project.. not about aesthetics.

plus the reason you dont find large open resources on how people achieve certain affects is because thats the tricks of the trade. people are generally secretive. but people might be willing to share their knowledge of appropriate uses of typefaces, kerning, layout, how to make spreads, where to find templates.. etc.

Guest WebsterUno

yeah, what he ^^^^ said

"the reason you dont find large open resources on how people achieve certain affects is because thats the tricks of the trade. "

But making you own letters doesnt hurt.

Those letters you made, could be turned into

a font of your own. Youre on the right track.

wanna look at other peoples shit....go here...

http://www.nowgocreate.com/

once its up, youll see!

Ok maybe you misunderstood me or the question did not come out the way I wanted it too. I already know how to make all those things. what I wanted to know was how after making that effect do I get it to come out as clean as possible for pre print.

TECHNIQUE being clipping path magic wand etc. I want an easy way to bring it between programs. There is no SECRET to it and yes it is considered graphic design.

you can go to the book store and buy books on how to do it. I just thought maybe people would be cool enough to help each other out. I asked derek hess how he printed his stippling effect and he was more than happy to help out. As have many people asked how I achieved crtain effects and I was more than happy to help.

I actually wouldnt mind there being a thread where help and ideas can be shared, kinda like a tech/tutorial/instruction type thing, cause there certainly are a lotta heads on here that know what they are doing. then when someone has an inquiry they can kinda go to one thread, instead of the dozen help me in photoshop threads (which ive done before too) but whatever floats peoples boats.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I don't know of any plugins that achieve that effect, but there might be some around. I would venture to guess that the spray was done by hand on a very even and contrasty surface, then scanned in at a very high res. The surface could then easily be dropped in Photoshop, leaving only the spray to do as you may.

You could then either use the autotrace tools in Illustrator or Flash to get them vectorized, which would probably suck since the droplets are so small. Your best bet is to separate the droplets in Photoshop, then check with your printers what the line screen and dot size are gonna be, and then size up your picture accordingly so that very small droplets don't get cut off. Then if you want it to be its own plate, you can grayscale it, make it a bitmap image, and then assign whatever specialty ink you want it to print as, if that's your goal. Hope that helps somewhat. Beer,

El Mamerro

Thank you El Mamerro. Thats exactly what I was asking. I sprayed a piece of white paper then scanned it in. I tried bringing it into stream line but that made it a mess.

I used the magic wand in photoshop to select it as a seperate layer, now I can place it in top of any photo. I still want to see if there is a way to bring it into illustrator clipped nice and clean. I was just looking at the new cave in cd cover. thats exactly the effect im looking for.

Originally posted by Oprah Oner

nononono...you've got your priorities all mixed up here. first we need to find out what a "mop" is and how it can be made...

damn man...im really just wondering where i can get some etch.

as far as the topic of the thread.....anything i need to use in a design (i prefer to work on paper as much as possible...) such as drips or "spray" effects i tend to just shoot with my digitial. white painted piece of metal. or whatever surface will give the "desired" effect of drips and whatever....then shoot it in the best mode possible. blah blah blah. fuck it.

http://seasickrecords.safeshopper.com/images/bq0u01to.jpg'>

If you scan at a high enough res (1200 dpi I'd say, at least) with a decent scanner, you should get a super crisp picture. Make sure you bump up the contrast like hell to eliminate in-between colors, then resize to 300 dpi or whatever the printer output is. Just keep the res high and you should't have to worry much about a clean print.

i've been waiting on this thread to get dope. maybe steve austin and el mamerro will share some secrets....hell, mamerro won't post anymore of his photoshopped stuff in paperchase...if you want to see what he posted, it's in the photoshop battle pages...

same here but unfortunetly we get these dumb photos and other remarks.

check out www.phong.com they have some really good photoshop tutorials.

I just did some marker throw-ups and scanned them in very high res

then converted them to art via streamline. They came out real clean

and you can easily bring them into illustrator and resize and change colors.

i've checked out phong.com before, there's also a cool tutoiral section at deviantart.com as for the illustrator talk, i really haven't a clue about it. i have 10 but i don't use it. Joker was telling me that the pen tool is all i need for some dope stuff...i just use photoshop to convert to working paths and then save as .ai then import to 3d studio max. heh...i suck.

do you know of any good illustrator tutorials?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good Illustrator tutorials... I've been getting pretty handy with it because I fuck around with it endlessly, and when i can't figure a certain thing out, I usually just go to google and find one or two things that can help out. But in all truth, if you're not preparing stuff for print, there's not much you're gonna get out of Illustrator. You can do almost anything it does in Photoshop if you're gonna stay in the digital realm, with the exception of type-related stuff. And yeah, Casek, becoming adept with the pen tool is the single most important thing for Illustrator.

Phong.com was neat... it got me messing around with shit I'd never even considered, especially channels. Unfortunately, most of the neat effects and colors the tutorials teach you get lost in the CMYK conversion for print. Lately I've been mooching tricks off creativepro.com, which has more proffesional tutorials, such as color correction and whatnot. Beer,

El Mamerro

Archived