-=graphic design major(S)=-

metallix

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah... it's a super serious competition out there.

Unless you have an incredible sence of artistic mertit,

great interpersonal skills, endless drive and a superhuman

ability to network and self star, you wont go far.

I'm not saying dont do it, because it could be really rewarding,

but prepare to really break your back for the next 10 years

before you really start to see the sucess.

but with a little luck, you could strike gold quickly.

Originally posted by Grant_Wood

THE SALARY IS WACK, RATT TAT TAT TATT

DO A MASTERS, DO A MASTERS, I REPEAT, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME DOING A MASTERS CAUSE IT AINT MUCH DIFFERENCE..

<--------IF I WERE TO GO TO COLLEGE, ID BE A MOTHERFUCKIN DOCTOR, THATS IT, NOTHING ELSE

Started off with a B.A. in design. It was so hard to find a fucking job!!! Gave it some serious thought and ended up going to graduate school. While I was in school, started doing massive amounts of freelance jobs and thuoght about quitting school. Stuck it out and got me my masters in graphic design. I didn't have a life but I was done. I worked as a freelance designer doing projects for some big ad agencies and companies but it was such hard work!!!! Talk about competition and the attitude you get from the fucking bitches who work as receptionists for design firms not to mention the designers who thumb thru your book like their time is being wasted. I wanted to either punch them or cry. It took me so long to get a permanent design position with this one San Francisco based publication company but I would not go to graduate school if I had to do it all over again. I must admit having that extra degree over some of my competitors (and a killer portfolio of course) did help. There's a lot of pressure, but if you really enjoy it stick with it. One helpful hint, make sure you save all your thumbnails and sketches. I made a book with just that and when I showed my book they always, every single time was interested in viewing my drawing skills and how my concept began. Now I have a cushy secure art director position and get paid hmmm... lets just say I'm paying off my $120,000.00 student loan in full this year, hooooray!!!! My salary was hiked up because I had an MFA. Oh that's another thing, DO NOT fall into the loan debt. That was my biggest regret. Make sure graphic design is something you truly enjoy, if I were able to go back in time I would tell myself to be a doctor!

Good luck.

I went to monster.com $10-12 salary for some no name company. HAHAHAH forget it. :))) thanks 2 every1` who replied usefully! sukisuki that means u! oh and btw im contemplating a law school, but only if i can make it into a top law school, until then its psychology major or history .. if i dont make it into a top law school atleast ill have a psych degree to fall back on and make somewhat decent cash. How come you would rather be a doctor now? It takes like 12 years to be a doctor!

SUKISUKINOW

120,000 in a year. SUKI SUKI NOW

Wow so all that hard work must have been a total waste of time.

Sheesh i should be so lucky.

But im gonna go for the GD associate at any rate.

Tell me something else. When i was in highschool i took a half day class

that was based around Commercial Art. It was a vocational class. Not really a highschool course. But at any rate do potential empoyers look at these types of classes?

damn..........

this thread really disappointed me, but I have always been told to stick with what you like???

I'm not good at math, english, shit i fucking suck (that's the reason i;m doing this shit, it was the only thing logical for me)......I was wondering what other options you guys would go for instead of graphic design.....

:o

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO everyone, please don't be discouraged!!! If you have talent then you will get a job. I think starting off with freelance is the best way to go. I used to put bids in against big firms like Primo Angeli and Satchi&Satchi and win becasue I would charge them only a fraction of what they would charge. As far as portfolios go, they want most current, more things from jobs rather than school. I just mixed it up and threw in my sketch book that I mentioned. I used to bate them this way... I had a resume made up with my logo on it and this really really faint watermark in 5% grey that read "hire me" on the paper and my resume typed on it so you can barely make it out. Peolpe always got a kick out of it and with the resume came 1 disc. You would open the disc on any mac and an icon would appear that read click me twice. When they clicked it, a slide show would befin and it would loop about 7 designs I did. That would get my foot in the door so maybe you guys can try that.

What I did was first i used my school's resources for job listings and just sent my resume pack to all of them figuring I'll get atleast a few of them calling me back. Then I got a list of all the design firms, advertising firms, publication companies, and even places like the Gap and mailed them a resume pack. It was a long looooong list, a whole book full of list and info on them (if I can find it and you're in SF, I would gladly share it with you). I got to illustrate and design an entire cook book by doing this. Do you have any computer illustrated work? They like knowing you know how to use one of those.

Na, So Cal. The Drawing part I got down,but i'm a little behind in the computer game. Due to my recent empoloyment however, I realised that i'm gonna need more Comp. skills, so I just started teaching myself adobe photoshop. I'm gonna take some classes on it illustration wise next semester as well. Maybe by next January I'll start sendin' those bitches out :) Thanks for the info.

matthewthirteen.

Guest uncle-boy

suki!

wowzers, after reading all your posts i must say i have a greater respect for you. its obvious you put in a lot of time and hard work. its tryly an inspiration, and a reality check.

i wouldnt dare try to over throw you as ENC president.

hail to the queen!:king:

heebie jeebies.

yeah im graduating with a studio art degree concentration in illustration and graphic design. dont ask me how that worked out...but oh well...i as well need to be looking for jobs and for grad schools...thats key. but from what i hear hard as hell to get in..

suki: if you dont mind what grad schools were you interested in and how was your application experience?

oh and upon reading theres a nice book you can find at pretty much any bookstore (barnes and nobles/ borders etc..) thats essentially a gigantic job listing for different hjobs, graphic design, illustrating etc.....they come out ever year full info, phone what they want etc...

Hell, I really don't even need to reply since Suki's got it on lock.

Not to be discouraging either, but one thing I've found since being in the industry is that I have no desire to even look at a computer when I get home. It has made my love of fine art escalate, though. Lots of insecure egos, competition and long hours.

In design you either make good money or you don't. When you first start out you won't. The industry kind of likes to weed out the people that aren't in love with it. After you've been in for a few years, you start to be rewarded a bit...providing your good.

Guest BINHEXED

suki suki

you people need to realize that suki is in LA also.

the gap of inflation is insane compared to some of

the other places who's economy is not booming right now.

i bet people make 20$ an hour in mcdonalds out there, when

in NY state minimum wage is like 7 something. rent here for less

than a grand a month even in a place that isnt that nice is a steal, but i know a girl in PA who pays 400$ a month to live in a condo with a swimming pool and a gym.

i'm done rambling now.

uncle-boy - like that was even a consideration, I know Intangie told you that he would never over throw me, mwuahahahaha!!!! It's all good, you still my homie and my gopher.

yoink - yeah, you're graduationg!! That's a huge acomplishment right there, congrats! I was thinking Art Center in Pasadena, Rhode Island School of Design, or Academy of Art in San Francisco. I chose AAC because I loooooove San Francisco and Art Center was even more expensiveand I wasn't too big on living in the east coast. Just don't get suckered into their whole scheme of trying to squeeze every single penny out of you! I had to play dirty to graduate on time, for real. They tried convincing me that I needed this class, I was missing that class, I had to complete this other class and lucky for me I was friends with the Dean of Graduate School and he helped me so much. As far as pay goes, I started my freelance at $25 an hour (this was looooong time ago), aslo depending on what I was doing. Logos were at a set price and pakcage design was way more.

SteveAustin - You totally understand!!! I used to think I sucked and wondered why I couldn't find a job, I was soooo down on myself. Now I work Monday thru Friday and it's never a 9-5. I get here before 9 and leave after 6, sometimes after 7, and I took work home this weekend.

But you have to keep up with the competition and they know when you work hard. I get phatty bonuses and perks. Come Friday 6pm, I don't wnat to look at a computer or think about design! Many of times people looking for Designers end up hiring "desk top" designers. People, let me tell you, there is a huge dif between desk top designers and graphic designers and don't let anyone tell you ohterwise.

BINHEXED - yep I do live in LA and the rent is significantly lower than SF or NY so it's easier to pay better and save more too. I just moved here 6 months ago from SF, but when I was living up there they paid according to the cost of living so I guess it just all depends on the company and what not? Eh, I dunno...

desk top designers use Brush Script and to make it worse they set it in all caps. They also tend to answer phones, make and file copies and other such tedious things. Typical quotes of desk top designers aka desk top publishers:

"I can use a computer."

"I have a copy of Photoshop."

"What's the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator?"

"I have Photo Paint."

"I know html."

"Camera ready art? I guess its ready to have its picture taken."

a graphic designer does design only. they've studied under a good art program, taken design and color classes, they do thumbnails AND roughs, they THINK, they go beyond the first thought that presents itself. If there is no font that "speaks to them" they make it themselves. They give whatever they are working on a VOiCE, character and personality.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

desk top designers use Brush Script and to make it worse they set it in all caps. They also tend to answer phones, make and file copies and other such tedious things. Typical quotes of desk top designers aka desk top publishers:

"I can use a computer."

"I have a copy of Photoshop."

"What's the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator?"

"I have Photo Paint."

"I know html."

"Camera ready art? I guess its ready to have its picture taken."

a graphic designer does design only. they've studied under a good art program, taken design and color classes, they do thumbnails AND roughs, they THINK, they go beyond the first thought that presents itself. If there is no font that "speaks to them" they make it themselves. They give whatever they are working on a VOiCE, character and personality.

Yeah, what he said. In one word, concept.

Originally posted by SukiSukiNow

yoink - yeah, you're graduationg!! That's a huge acomplishment right there, congrats! I was thinking Art Center in Pasadena, Rhode Island School of Design, or Academy of Art in San Francisco. I chose AAC because I loooooove San Francisco............

first off thanks a bunch;) im looking forward to and dreading the real world exp. i hope with the friends ive made ive also made some connections to start goin, im on the east coast now, im skeptical about just picking up and moving out west even though from what ive heard im assuming its a mecca for this kind of gig.

now by freelance did you start doing this outta college, in grad school? that wasnt harder than tryin to get into a company where you had a secure job? im talking competition wise? :confused: laudamercy. so much to ask. so much to wonder. ;)

by the way did you also put a portfolio on the web or did you just do it by cd, slides etc...

Originally posted by PUNKASSBITCH

lawyers make tons o' cash, and have possibly the least expenses. why a top law school? you go to a top college? ever been arrested? is it on your record?

I'm planning to go to law school, Ill apply for a top one, but I aint expecting to go to a top law school anyway. Ill go to a decent law school, get my name their. anyone know anything about being a lawyer? or law school? cause all I know is that they say its a SHITTY job.. I gues you really have to truly LOVE justice and and shit like that.. anyways, Im currently a punk ass bitch in a punk ass bitch university getting my punk ass bitch ass political science major so I can go on to be a punk ass bitch politician...

your too full of negativity. i don't want to go into a mediocre law school because they make mediocre money. if i can't get the best, i wont sit back with the rest. and you don't have to be in a top COLLEGE to get into a top law school..just need to work hard at it. work solves everything.

its not a shitty job, if you like it. i like it for the money and prestige, etc etc. do i love justice? depends what kind of lawyer your going to be. im not sure if they are accepting any punk ass bitch politicians lately, although in USA u never know ;)

oh and one more thing, expectations lead to failure.

Archived