1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

-=graphic design major(S)=-

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by metallix, Mar 30, 2003.

1. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

-=graphic design major(S)=-

Discussion started by metallix - Mar 30, 2003

Just wondering 4 all u graphic design majors out there..whats the job like? Whats ur salary (dont have to be detailed!?)

IM curious b/c i might take up a 4 year degree in graphic design..so just wanna know what it is like. ..

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. Matthew13

Matthew13 12oz Member

Matthew13 - Replied Mar 30, 2003

Graphic Design Majors...

...are a dime a dozen.

Im not a GD major, but mostly all the guys i work w/ are...very competive field...

matthewthirteen.

Matthew13 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. Grant_Wood

Grant_Wood Banned

Grant_Wood - Replied Mar 30, 2003

THE SALARY IS WACK, RATT TAT TAT TATT

DO A MASTERS, DO A MASTERS, I REPEAT, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME DOING A MASTERS CAUSE IT AINT MUCH DIFFERENCE..

<--------IF I WERE TO GO TO COLLEGE, ID BE A MOTHERFUCKIN DOCTOR, THATS IT, NOTHING ELSE

Grant_Wood - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  4. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- 12oz Veteran Member

--zeSto-- - Replied Mar 30, 2003

yeah... it's a super serious competition out there.

Unless you have an incredible sence of artistic mertit,
    great interpersonal skills, endless drive and a superhuman
    ability to network and self star, you wont go far.

I'm not saying dont do it, because it could be really rewarding,
    but prepare to really break your back for the next 10 years
    before you really start to see the sucess.

but with a little luck, you could strike gold quickly.

--zeSto-- - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. Grant_Wood

Grant_Wood Banned

Grant_Wood - Replied Mar 30, 2003

A WISE BITCH ASS COCKSUCKER ONCE SAID

" IF YOU HAVE A JOB THAT YOU LOVE TO DO, THEN YOU WILL NEVER WORK A DAY IN YOUR LIFE"

UGGGGHHHH!!

Grant_Wood - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  6. SukiSukiNow

SukiSukiNow Dirty Dozen Crew

SukiSukiNow - Replied Mar 30, 2003

Started off with a B.A. in design. It was so hard to find a fucking job!!! Gave it some serious thought and ended up going to graduate school. While I was in school, started doing massive amounts of freelance jobs and thuoght about quitting school. Stuck it out and got me my masters in graphic design. I didn't have a life but I was done. I worked as a freelance designer doing projects for some big ad agencies and companies but it was such hard work!!!! Talk about competition and the attitude you get from the fucking bitches who work as receptionists for design firms not to mention the designers who thumb thru your book like their time is being wasted. I wanted to either punch them or cry. It took me so long to get a permanent design position with this one San Francisco based publication company but I would not go to graduate school if I had to do it all over again. I must admit having that extra degree over some of my competitors (and a killer portfolio of course) did help. There's a lot of pressure, but if you really enjoy it stick with it. One helpful hint, make sure you save all your thumbnails and sketches. I made a book with just that and when I showed my book they always, every single time was interested in viewing my drawing skills and how my concept began. Now I have a cushy secure art director position and get paid hmmm... lets just say I'm paying off my $120,000.00 student loan in full this year, hooooray!!!! My salary was hiked up because I had an MFA. Oh that's another thing, DO NOT fall into the loan debt. That was my biggest regret. Make sure graphic design is something you truly enjoy, if I were able to go back in time I would tell myself to be a doctor!
    Good luck.

vanfullofretards likes this.
    SukiSukiNow - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. SukiSukiNow

SukiSukiNow - Replied Mar 30, 2003

awww im sorry i don't mean to discourage anyone

8. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

metallix - Replied Mar 30, 2003

I went to monster.com $10-12 salary for some no name company. HAHAHAH forget it. :))) thanks 2 every1` who replied usefully! sukisuki that means u! oh and btw im contemplating a law school, but only if i can make it into a top law school, until then its psychology major or history .. if i dont make it into a top law school atleast ill have a psych degree to fall back on and make somewhat decent cash. How come you would rather be a doctor now? It takes like 12 years to be a doctor!

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

-Rage- - Replied Mar 30, 2003

I have an Associates in GD and Multimedia.

I am now a movie projectionist.

Fuck working in a design firm for other people. I use it for my own shit.

-Rage- - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  10. mr.yuck

mr.yuck 12oz Veteran Member

mr.yuck - Replied Mar 30, 2003

SUKISUKINOW

120,000 in a year. SUKI SUKI NOW

Wow so all that hard work must have been a total waste of time.

Sheesh i should be so lucky.

But im gonna go for the GD associate at any rate.

Tell me something else. When i was in highschool i took a half day class
    that was based around Commercial Art. It was a vocational class. Not really a highschool course. But at any rate do potential empoyers look at these types of classes?

mr.yuck - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. THEdude

THEdude 12oz Member

THEdude - Replied Mar 31, 2003

damn..........

this thread really disappointed me, but I have always been told to stick with what you like???

I'm not good at math, english, shit i fucking suck (that's the reason i;m doing this shit, it was the only thing logical for me)......I was wondering what other options you guys would go for instead of graphic design.....

:eek:

THEdude - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  12. I45_TEXAS_I45

I45_TEXAS_I45 New Jack

I45_TEXAS_I45 - Replied Mar 31, 2003

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    same here.
    damm disappointing

I45_TEXAS_I45 - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  13. SukiSukiNow

SukiSukiNow - Replied Mar 31, 2003

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO everyone, please don't be discouraged!!! If you have talent then you will get a job. I think starting off with freelance is the best way to go. I used to put bids in against big firms like Primo Angeli and Satchi&Satchi and win becasue I would charge them only a fraction of what they would charge. As far as portfolios go, they want most current, more things from jobs rather than school. I just mixed it up and threw in my sketch book that I mentioned. I used to bate them this way... I had a resume made up with my logo on it and this really really faint watermark in 5% grey that read "hire me" on the paper and my resume typed on it so you can barely make it out. Peolpe always got a kick out of it and with the resume came 1 disc. You would open the disc on any mac and an icon would appear that read click me twice. When they clicked it, a slide show would befin and it would loop about 7 designs I did. That would get my foot in the door so maybe you guys can try that.

14. Matthew13

Matthew13 12oz Member

Matthew13 - Replied Mar 31, 2003

Suki- How did you find out when a company was looking to use some art? I do illustration, and that's what i'm trying to do...maybe get some magazine publishings or somethin' to buff up that portfolio.

matthewthirteen.

Matthew13 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. SukiSukiNow

SukiSukiNow - Replied Mar 31, 2003

What I did was first i used my school's resources for job listings and just sent my resume pack to all of them figuring I'll get atleast a few of them calling me back. Then I got a list of all the design firms, advertising firms, publication companies, and even places like the Gap and mailed them a resume pack. It was a long looooong list, a whole book full of list and info on them (if I can find it and you're in SF, I would gladly share it with you). I got to illustrate and design an entire cook book by doing this. Do you have any computer illustrated work? They like knowing you know how to use one of those.