Grandmother, 81, Drives Car into 9 School Children

swif1

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Six children remained hospitalized early Wednesday after an 81-year-old woman picking up her grandchild at school plowed into a group of elementary students and a teacher's aide, police said.

Classes had just been dismissed at Chimneyrock Elementary School on Tuesday when the Ford Crown Victoria suddenly lurched into the crowd, running over children, pinning some underneath and to the school wall, witnesses said. The car clipped another vehicle, knocked out two walkway supports and ended up sandwiched next to the wall.

At least one bystander lifted the bulky sedan off students as teachers and mothers with medical training waded through the chaos, taking pulses and trying to calm children.

Nine students were hit, and one was in critical condition Wednesday. The aide suffered minor injuries.

No charges were filed against the driver, Alice Bartee of Memphis, but authorities were interviewing her, said Steve Shular, a spokesman with the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

``We're trying, with a lot of compassion, to talk with her on what might have occurred,'' Shular said. She was described as distraught, which slowed the investigation.

The woman was on some medications and blood tests will be conducted, but Shular said authorities ``don't believe that's going to be a contributing cause in this accident.''

Debra Russo, who has two daughters at Chimneyrock, changed her routine Tuesday and believed it saved her children from calamity.

Instead of idling in the long line of cars waiting to pick up children, she had parked and started walking toward them.

``They usually stand right in that spot,'' she told The Commercial Appeal. ``It was just by the grace of God that I had today off, and decided to walk over to meet them.''

Some of the students, tears rolling down their cheeks, talked to mothers. Others worried about their classmates.

``Mine are OK,'' said parent Randy Peace. ``But everyone is scared. ... There are a lot of scared children around here.''

Shular said the investigation was focusing on whether Bartee hit the wrong pedal, either because she slipped or became confused. Bartee's driving record is clean, he said, and the only requirement is that she wear glasses, which she did.

_______

hahaha damnn...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

``It was just by the grace of God that I had today off, and decided to walk over to meet them.''

so when people live its automatically the grace of god? fuck god. THATS RIGHT GOD, FUCK YOU WITH A FAT PURPLE DILDO. FUCKING FAGGOT ASS. AND ANYONE THAT LOVES GOD............... FUCK YOU TOO YOU IGNORANT FUCKS.

Originally posted by NOBODY

anybody hear about the wife that cut off her husbands ear?she was like a judo master and wooped his ass if her stayed out passed his curfue.talk about whipped.wachhhhhhhe(wip noise)

no i didnt...nor does sneak give much of a...

Guest SMUGGLER RSH
Originally posted by NOBODY

anybody hear about the wife that cut off her husbands ear?she was like a judo master and wooped his ass if her stayed out passed his curfue.talk about whipped.wachhhhhhhe(wip noise)

Your not suppost to use Judo unless it is in self defense but even then your not suppost to really so I find the JUDO MASTER part untrue................Maybe she was someone who had gone to a few Judo classes and one night when her husband came home late she tried to get kinky and bite his ear and he called the cops all freaked out and the newspapers turned it into what you heard......

Guest uncle-boy
Originally posted by rip

``It was just by the grace of God that I had today off, and decided to walk over to meet them.''

so when people live its automatically the grace of god? fuck god. THATS RIGHT GOD, FUCK YOU WITH A FAT PURPLE DILDO. FUCKING FAGGOT ASS. AND ANYONE THAT LOVES GOD............... FUCK YOU TOO YOU IGNORANT FUCKS.

i love God.

but i do think that ladies statement was dumb and inapropriate. just like yours......"ignorant" hmph:rolleyes:

Archived