Graffiti Writers Killed At Venice Beach

earmuffs

By Lisa Richardson and Andrew Blankstein, Times Staff Writers

Two men were killed in a drive-by shooting Sunday afternoon in the heart of Venice Beach as thousands of beachgoers soaked in the sun and surf, police said.

In a second weekend of summer violence, officers reported that at least six people were killed in less than 24 hours in Los Angeles. A week ago, 17 people died in shootings and assaults in Los Angeles County during an exceptionally violent weekend that marked the start of the area's traditional peak period for homicides. August is typically the worst month for killings in the county.

The shooting sent shudders through the neighborhood of small bungalows, luxury homes, apartment buildings and businesses catering to beachgoers.

Resident Mark Ryavek, former executive director of the Venice Boardwalk Assn., said he fears the shooting may signal a return to a more frightening era of gang violence.

"In that context, this incident is alarming and exceptionally dangerous," he said. "It is a block off of the heart of Venice," where tens of thousands of people visit on peak weekends.

The fatal attack occurred in the 1700 block of Pacific Avenue when two men driving a burgundy Mercedes-Benz pulled up alongside a blue Chevrolet Camaro. They reportedly shot at the car's three occupants, killing two and seriously injuring a third man, who went to a local hospital.

Police found no weapons in the victims' car but they did find paint that may have been intended for tagging or graffiti, said police Sgt. Ron Crump.

Police later stopped the Mercedes on La Tijera Boulevard near the San Diego Freeway and arrested two suspects, who were booked on suspicion of murder.

Two hours later, a man was shot in a parking lot in the 11700 block of Culver Boulevard, Crump said. A suspect is still at large in that shooting, and police are investigating whether the two attacks are related, said Det. Don Cox.

Three other victims were shot in South Los Angeles and in the San Fernando Valley, police said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

damn, that fucking sucks.

edit: giving more thought to this. this really gets to me. its all fucked up shit. i mean, i dont know what the deal was or anything, beef, or just random rolling up and pop'n people for the hell of it. fuck if im ever visiting venice beach.

it sucks when people die but nowhere does it say that they were writers.

Police found no weapons in the victims' car but they did find paint that may have been

intended for tagging or graffiti, said police Sgt. Ron Crump.

rumors get started....

Originally posted by dear sas

it sucks when people die but nowhere does it say that they were writers.

Police found no weapons in the victims' car but they did find paint that may have been

intended for tagging or graffiti, said police Sgt. Ron Crump.

rumors get started....

Yea, maybe the were off duty construction workers...or maybe the just got done painting a birdhouse...or a bicycle...or maybe they huff it.[/sarcasm]

Why else would you have paint in your trunk?

Originally posted by Crimsøn

Yea, maybe the were off duty construction workers...or maybe the just got done painting a birdhouse...or a bicycle...or maybe they huff it.[/sarcasm]

or maybe police officers shouldn't make such assumptions with only a common abject making the link, it's more bold when two of the accused were murdered.

Personally I don't like gangbangers, and as malicious as it may seem for me to say it, I applaud when gangbangers kill each other. I figure it's one less potential ignorant scumbag waiting to kill or rob someone else. It's just unfortunate when the innocent people get caught in the crossfire.

Originally posted by Crimsøn

He may have meant that they could've been gangbangers but not writers. Gangbangers tag too but I wouldn't consider them writers.

i saw this shit on the news last night and when they showe the camaro that got shot up there was a blue pilot on the pavement.

We used to go to Venice alot when i was in high school and we always got into big ass fights with all kinds of black dudes.

im pretty sure that they(the police) wont find the killers, they only find them when they kill one of their own

Originally posted by ARCEL

or maybe police officers shouldn't make such assumptions with only a common abject making the link, it's more bold when two of the accused were murdered.

Don't get me wrong, it's a stupid assumption, but it's probably the case. Also, it was totally irrelevant to what happened and shouldn't even have been mentioned the way it was.

..and nobody assumed they were writers, it said that they had paint which may have been used for vandalism or graffiti. Which sounds on point to me.

Anyways...what really matters is that innocent people got shot down. Which sucks ass, whether they're writers or not.

People use spray paint for everything from touching up their cars to painting furniture to construction to, yes, even vandalism. The amount of paint is not specified, and there is a good chance it could have been a couple of cans of paint used for touch-up work. I knew a guy who bought a used piece of shit pick-up truck that had a can of black spraypaint in the cab for touching up the car. It looked like shit but it is not uncommon. If they were graff writers, that sucks, but if they were using the cans for vandalism I'd lean towards the gang-related theory. And shouldn't this be in Third Rail?

i thought this was at the legal wall there. but this just sounds like some random violence ish. but what fucking idiots, thats a fucking crowded area.

anybody ever drink down there at 'on the waterfront'? that must be one of the best bars anywhere for people watching. happy-hour anyone?

give the police some credit tehy just wouldnt put the spraypaint in there if they didnt have some reason behind it, and Im sure ut was alot of paint they wouldnt say that if it was a can or two. Also I read someone on "the other Forum" talking about this from a L.A.. But who knows may be they were off duty construction workers:rolleyes: or if lucky some art fags.

Originally posted by crave

i wonder why august is the worst month for killings.

could it be the freakin' heat . . . .??? i guess so.

Ding ding ding!

I actually studied this in my psychology class. Generally the most violence occurs when the temperature is between 85-90 degrees. Anything hotter than that and folks are just too beaten down mentally and physically by the heat to do anything much less pick up a gun and shoot someone

Originally posted by fannypack2

haha you retard

thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard. thats not true

Ha ha you fag.

When a gangbanger kills a rival gangbanger, the fool that was killed wasn't exactly a Good Samaritain. He wouldn't hesitate to blast some innocents if given the opportunity. So good riddance. I'm tired of hearing little girls and babies and pregnant mothers and children getting cut down by drive-by shootings.

Originally posted by TheoHuxtab|e

Personally I don't like gangbangers, and as malicious as it may seem for me to say it, I applaud when gangbangers kill each other. I figure it's one less potential ignorant scumbag waiting to kill or rob someone else. It's just unfortunate when the innocent people get caught in the crossfire.

^^^^^ very well said..bravo, I agree...by the way Theo, that father comment made me laugh..good one..:lol:

Archived