Graffiti world book!

STYLEISKING

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0810949792.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg'>

This book tries to show the historical roots of this artform to the modern styles and trends. During the last years the whole culture feels a fresh new wind with artists using different techniques to the old prefered medium: the spraycan and other works appear as stickers, posters, stencils, brush painted images or even sculptures.

The modern graffiti / street art movement is expressing their own personal thoughts and mind to a wider publicity while using the street as their gallery and giving an alternative image to see next to the flood of commercial advertising, the modern street artist is trying to communicate with the city and its inhabitans and also using the archtitecture and the social surroundings as a background to their paintings.

I tried to give a wider view into this culture with presenting the most interesting and influential artists from the past and now. Each artist or crew is presented on their own pages with a text summary and a lot of quotes by the artists themselfes. This shows the unique and fascinating range of the modern styles of this culture with their differnces from country to country. After nearly 3 years of work, research and travels nearly around the whole world and with the help of uncountable contacts, I have now finished this great project - for you you take a look inside! On 376 are presented more than 180 international artists in more than 2000 images - a comprehensive documentary of this worldwide phenomenom of graffiti and street art activists.

-Nicholas Ganz

will be opened in October : http://www.graffitiworld.org

or get it on amazon!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

graffitiworld.jpg

For the last few months we've been hearing terrific things about an upcoming book on street art and graffiti called GRAFFITI WORLD: STREET ART FROM FIVE CONTINENTS. The book was conceived and put together by Nicholas Ganz and edited by Tristan Manco. Nicholas is a graffiti artist himself who lives in Germany and Tristan, who many of you will know from the Wooster site, is a graphic designer from Bristol. Tristan is also the author of two other amazing books on this subject, Stencil Graffiti and most recently, Street Logos.

So last week while in London, Sam Clark, the designer of the book, showed us a preview copy. To say that we were blown away by GRAFFITI WORLD would be a massive understatement. Sam's layouts are spectacular and the work that Nicholas and Tristan have put into the book is remarkable. With over 2,000 meticulously laid out photographs, the book showcases the work of over 180 artists from all over the world. Some you will know from the Wooster website, but many of them you will not.

In our minds, GRAFFITI WORLD is by far the best book ever to come out on graffiti and street art. The main reason for this is the sheer magnitude and quality of the photographs. They are amazing. The art on each and every page is absolutely stunning. Graffiti World sets the bar so high, that it will be hard for others to "one up" it. The book is so packed with art that it can take you days to absorb it all. We're still going through it. So without trying to sound like a cheesy book critic, our advice to you is that if there's one art book to get this winter, this is the one.

And here's one additional reason why:

The retail price in Europe for GRAFFITI WORLD is only 20 pounds. In the States you can pre-order the book on Amazon for $24.00 USD. When we asked Sam why (and how) the book could have a price of only 20 pounds (most publishers would have charged well over $100 for it) he mentioned that one of the main reasons for this was the generosity of the artists themselves. The community of artists around the world were kind enough to provide thousands of photographs without taking a fee, and this savings was passed on to the buyer. So big up not only to Nicholas, Tristan, Sam, their publishers at Thames and Hudson, but also to all of the artists!

Guest diggity

amazon went up to 35 on this thing, i've had my eye on it for a while, but the good news is you can grab it off walmart.com for under 25 including shipping.

I had about an hour to flip through it. It looks really nice and has a decent amount of images to keep you happy. And although the big names are represented here, so are some not so big names and kids you never heard of. It's a good book and at just $35, you have no reason to not want one. Unless you're "keeping it real" by boycotting everything but illegal shit. In which case... go screw.

If thats the martha Cooper book, well ive been waiting since September, and the order was made in JULY!!! Amazon now say it going to be out DECEMBER!!!!" :shook:

Originally posted by drsev@Oct 28 2004, 08:38 AM

well.. still waiting for my book that's 'usually dispatched within 24 hours'.. about 3 days later and it's still not moved from amazons greedy claws.

Play.com have two versions - one for £14.99 and one's £37.49...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?

page=title&r=BOOK&title=494319&p=91&g=148

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype...Go.x=22&Go.y=17

Not sure what the difference between the two is though - any ideas? I've ordered from Play.com before and they're reliable... free delivery too.

Guest diggity
Originally posted by diggity@Oct 22 2004, 02:10 PM

i just got an email saying this has been delayed until January, anyone else find that out?

shipped yesterday, should have it end of the week or begining of next. :privateeye:

Archived