Graffiti Video Game?

colonisms

Pre-E3: Atari Getting Up With Ecko

By Daniel Kayser of Gamerfeed

Published 4:09 PM PDT May 6, 2004

Another title from Atari will debut at E3, and this one's about graffiti art and urban culture...

ADVERTISEMENT

Atari announced today that another title will debut in their upcoming line-up at the Electronic Entertainment Expo next week in Los Angeles. This latest title has some rather unique roots as it is being developed by The Collective (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Wrath Unleashed) in conjunction with Ecko Unlimited's Marc Ecko (yes, the fashion designer). The game is expected to hit in June 2005, but has not yet been specified for any platform.

Titled Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, the game has something to do with "urban culture and graffiti art" and we can only assume, judging by developer The Collective's track record, that the game will be a 3D action game at its core.

Details are sketchy at this point, but at least Eric Ecko himself is really excited, "This game will be genre-defining. Revolutionary. We will put the flag in the ground of popular culture with Getting Up," he says. "Over my seven-year journey to get this thing made, I have had the good fortune to have met and explored opportunities with many different publishers. Atari allowed me the freedom to challenge the status quo manner in how games are developed, and that is precisely why it is the ideal home for this title. This is a dream come true for me."

It sounds as though gamers should get excited about Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure and based on the good vibes that are also flowing through Atari's Bruno Bonnell, the tile should relate to many an urbanite. ""Videogames have become a huge part of the urban lifestyle but no game has yet to truly capture the look, attitude, action or sound of urban culture," says Bonnell. ""We have an incredible opportunity to change that....to be the first to get it right and share the authentic experience with gamers worldwide. Marc's vision of Getting Up fuses his expert knowledge of youth culture, his talent as a graphic artist and his passion for gaming. It's nothing less than extraordinary and Atari is thrilled to be a part of it."

We'll leave our spray paint at home when we head to E3 to find out more about this interesting title heading your way later this year.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toys are so happy. Why don't you do it in real life?

I wander if you get caught if they butt rape you.

I wander if you have to order the shit on the video game and then wait for it in the mail.

I wander if you have to beat people up and take thier paint or markers.

I wander if in the game you have to go into "TOY MODE" and post on 12 ounce.

I wander if I can shoot this Ecko guy in the face in front of his mom.

In real life.

there already is one. it's called Jet Set Radio Future, and its the shittiest game ever. don't play it. it makes you want to gouge out your eyes and cut off your hands so that theres never any chance of you playing it again.

edit: i just read the article. this game sounds shitty too.

if i could make it it would be ill but i would have all the elements of hip hop. not just writing. it should be like proskater in controles and you should have to pre draw your own tag throws and bernerz like a photo shop program style black book in the first level so i dont have to be some dick head on the montana team like bates and spend all day tring to unlock special writers like seen or saber. if i have to be some one id wana be revs i ges. and try to not kill my self by falling off a 100 ft bridge.

it most likely will suck but ill rack it.

jet set radio future is actually the sequel to the game jet grind radio, n i consider them more as rollerblading games, and the graff element just a fun side thing...but u can innovate your own bombs n shit...

If this game comes out the way they say it is going to it should be pretty sick. They are using several old school writers from NY for the game, the only ones I know for sure are Seen and Iz The Wiz but I know there are others that have been contacted for it. From what I hear from Seen and IZ your supposed to have to go rack your supplies and then have to break into the train yard to go paint your train and run from the cops and what not. It's "supposed" to be a fairly realistic game. We'll see if they can pull it off when it comes out.

I hope this video has the option where you get to pimp hot asian chicks with your graff skills and then bang them?

Then they'd have to call it "Lens' big fat video game adventure

all the MSK/AWR heads would be bosses and mini-bosses you'd have to defeat to get to the next level.

Ha ha, 'your mission is to rack three cases of montana paint and get it back to your crew's place before you are caught and beaten down by revok and saber."

shit whatever, I'd rather spend money on an asian call girl before buying a fucking video game system

Why in the world would you want to play the video game anyway?

Cant you just go out and do the real thing? Yeah i can see myself sitting 2 hours playing a game tagging a city that doesnt even exist in real life.

Fuck that.

Originally posted by EPMDfan

If this game comes out the way they say it is going to it should be pretty sick. They are using several old school writers from NY for the game, the only ones I know for sure are Seen and Iz The Wiz but I know there are others that have been contacted for it. From what I hear from Seen and IZ your supposed to have to go rack your supplies and then have to break into the train yard to go paint your train and run from the cops and what not. It's "supposed" to be a fairly realistic game. We'll see if they can pull it off when it comes out.

All I can say is, i hope this doesnt turn out anything like the tony hawk games. the last thing we need is every kid with an x box thinking theyre down with "tagging" because they know seen and zephyr.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

All I can say is, i hope this doesnt turn out anything like the tony hawk games. the last thing we need is every kid with an x box thinking theyre down with "tagging" because they know seen and zephyr.

dude, "hope" in this sense will do nothing. Your hoping is really a prediction of the future.....

Graffiti is making a comeback in a major way much the same way it does every few years just like skateboarding.

Real heads will just have to put up with the bullshit until it blows over.

Only problem is that lotsa kids'll think that graffiti is "neat" and "cool" thus generating a new wave of idiot toy motherfuckers who'll disregard old school writers, piss all over the unwritten rules of graff ettiquite(sp) and cause so much damage that new and more anal laws will be generated in cities across the land to discourage people from getting up.

Sucks ass.

Them damn toys. If that happen ^^ --- how long do you think that the wave of kids doing it will last? Cause I havent seen a game yet but what you said up thurr ^ ..... thats already going on where im at and man it sucks. A bunch of kids writting everywhere cause they think its "cool". Now the laws here are so tight-------- damn.. who knows whats next.

Originally posted by LENS

dude, "hope" in this sense will do nothing. Your hoping is really a prediction of the future.....

Graffiti is making a comeback in a major way much the same way it does every few years just like skateboarding.

Real heads will just have to put up with the bullshit until it blows over.

Only problem is that lotsa kids'll think that graffiti is "neat" and "cool" thus generating a new wave of idiot toy motherfuckers who'll disregard old school writers, piss all over the unwritten rules of graff ettiquite(sp) and cause so much damage that new and more anal laws will be generated in cities across the land to discourage people from getting up.

Sucks ass.

That with the toys happened here. But now graffiti has died in Ky.

i dont think its such a bad idea.especially for older writers that really stop bombing streets,trains,etc.they can continue doing graff,but it will be more safer.but for younger writers,there will be more toys thinking they are the shit cuz they hit some trains and some streets on the video game but not bombing and getting up in real life.so either way u look at it, there some good things about it and there is also the bad things about it.thats just my opinion...

what about graff king.. cats on here were jocken that shit for the longest time.... IF they do this game right.. i think it could be alright..... but it will probnbly be as shitty as that set grind radio or whatever the fuck it was called.... i bought it, threw it on the floor and took it back..... GARBAGE

Originally posted by MAD MELBURN

dont worry bout the lil kids who'll play this game and think yeh sweet im gonna go graff, they probly get caught with the first tag they do......

hah, this man speaks the truth

ok, i hear all the stuff you guys are saying regarding how kids will think they are 'down' with graff and subsequently ruin it, but if they do make the game it should be like metal gear solid. you have to sneak around and hide, etc.

But those elements are only the accessories to the whole outfit, which is the actual practice of painting. there is no way you could accurately recreate that.

yeah-i agree with what LENS and RUBBISH said.... look what happened to skateboardin-before tony hawk n' the x-games, skatin' was pretty much an underground thing that wasn't "cool", now after tony hawk n' the x-games, skatin' is all of a sudden the "thing" to do. that's most likely whats gonna happen to writin', kids are gonna play the game, get really good at it, trace the pieces off of the tv screen an' color them with crayola crayons, declare themselves KINGS, disrespect the writers in their area that put in work, and quit when the fad blows over. As a result of masses the of toys that will go out being reckless and stupid things will be screwed for everyone...or maybe this game will suck and no one will want to play it....

Originally posted by rubbish heap

this will almost definatley happen....sounds like it could be a cool game with the racking and shit though...ill definatley have to play it before buying though

Maybe--- they should add more realistic elements to the game- like if you get caught by the cops -you can fight them or piss in the cells they throw you in. Or you can beat up toys that think they know everything about graffiti -Then it might be worth it.

Originally posted by effyoo

ok, i hear all the stuff you guys are saying regarding how kids will think they are 'down' with graff and subsequently ruin it, but if they do make the game it should be like metal gear solid. you have to sneak around and hide, etc.

But those elements are only the accessories to the whole outfit, which is the actual practice of painting. there is no way you could accurately recreate that.

thats what i was thinking, making itlike Metal Gear would be interesting but overall i agree with the tony hawk comments, making graff way too popular.

Haha.. This game wont change shit, real writers will keep writing and maybe get some more pussy because it hot.. Fuck it!

I just hope it depict our lifestyle in a correct manner.. Smoking hash, drinking booze, fighting, stealing and doing lame shit while at the same time having a job and acting mature.. (-;

Archived