GRAFFITI VANDAL HUNTED IN THREAT VS. QUEENS POL

misteraven

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/27192.htm

August 18, 2005 -- Cops are searching for a graffiti vandal suspected of threatening a Queens councilman, The Post has learned.

Sources said a man identifying himself as Cope2, Fernando Carlo's tag name, called Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. and left a message filled with expletives and an ominous warning:

"We don't live forever."

The message also said, "I don't care, send the cops."

"This comes with the territory," Vallone said.

"Anyone who would destroy property is a criminal, not an artist."

Police sources said cops are trying to confirm whether Carlos, who has been arrested 10 times for harassment and once for assault, was the person who made the call.

Vallone has been vocal in trying to stop Marc Ecko Enterprises from holding a block party in Chelsea this month. It would include 10 replica subway cars that graffiti writers, including Carlo, would paint.

Carlo was once paid $20,000 by Time magazine to paint graffiti on a billboard ad. Stephanie Gaskell

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by ClueTwo@Aug 18 2005, 11:45 AM

I just hope he split the profit with the other 6-7(*8,9,10,11) writers on there..

He did his piece, which is absoultely ginormous (if people cant tell), then realized he had all this extra space. Made some calls and people really couldn't resist to come out and do spots on it.

He also painted 3 of those all with just krylon, exactly the same on each one, thus explaining the "its not so good" He didn't probably feel like having to paint a piece that normally takes 4 hours, 10 times bigger, 3 more times EXACTLY the same.

I'm just suprised these guys couldn't rock it way harder than that..I mean come on gentlemen..

I've always followed the expression, "If you're going to do something, do it right."

I personally don't feel this was done "right"..That's me, and just to clear up the haters, you may feel differently than I do.

City Revokes Party Permit Over Exhibit With Graffiti

By JIM RUTENBERG

The city has revoked a permit awarded to organizers of a block party celebrating graffiti, saying it will not grant another one unless the group scraps plans to have graffiti writers spray paint murals onto models of New York City subway trains. The city acted hours after Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg criticized the plans yesterday.

The block party, scheduled for Aug. 24, was to be held on West 22nd Street by the fashion designer Marc Ecko to celebrate the upcoming release of the video game he designed for Atari, "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure." The game features characters who vandalize a city called New Radius with graffiti in defiance of a corrupt and tyrannical local government.

Mr. Ecko was granted the permit on July 18, after months of talks with community leaders in Chelsea.

The city revoked the permit yesterday, the same day City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. was quoted in The Daily News as saying the party was "promoting criminal acts."

In agreeing with the councilman, Mr. Bloomberg ventured into a traditionally tricky debate for mayors of a city that is considered a world art capital, namely: When does art cross the line, and when, if ever, should government intervene?

"Look, there is a fine line here between freedom of expression and going out and encouraging people to hurt this city," Mr. Bloomberg said during a visit to a senior citizens center in Queens yesterday. "Defacing subway cars is hardly a joke; encouraging people, kids in particular, to do that after all the money we've spent, all the time we've spent removing graffiti."

A few hours later, the mayor's Office of Community Affairs rescinded Mr. Ecko's permit. The office said it did so because Mr. Ecko had not explained that the event was to promote a video game, which would require a different permit than the one needed for an art exhibition.

The office invited Mr. Ecko to apply for a new permit, and Mr. Bloomberg implied that it would be approved if Mr. Ecko dropped the planned graffiti exhibit.

"We have talked to them and asked them to not have a subway car motif to write graffiti," Mr. Bloomberg said. "This is not really art or expression, this is, let's be honest about what it is: It's trying to encourage people to do something that's not in anybody's interest."

Clint Cantwell, a spokesman for Mr. Ecko, said Mr. Ecko would consider the request but also said he doubted that Mr. Ecko would agree to it. "We're still hoping to find a middle ground with them, but it's an uphill battle for us," he said, adding that the subway graffiti display was "really the heart of this exhibition, and it's celebrating the origins of graffiti in New York City, and that's the canvas we came up with."

He said that the organizers were upfront about the event, and that while they would continue to speak with the city, they were considering finding an alternate location for the event, possibly on private property.

"We're not going to fight City Hall," he said. "We're not going to win."

There are factors at work here MUCH larger than the game and the billboard. Alot of you are missing this. This is not about whether or not graffiti is art or vandalism. Mr. Ecko got his permits legally and played it by the book, and the government is outright censoring him on the basis that they PERSONALLY dont "like" whats going on. The government does NOT stop either kkk or militant black groups from preaching messages of hate, and yet....theyre going to stop dudes painting on some plywood trains? Why is that? Because it fits their personal agendas. What goes on at that block party will not affect the amount of vandalism that gets done in this city in the short or long run. This is an outright attack on "freedom of expression". The majority of writers, especially NYC ones are going to just stay "thuggin" and not giving a shit about some "gay ass block party". Great. Stay ignorant. Sheep.

Behold a pale horse motherfuckers.

Originally posted by Tyler Durden@Aug 18 2005, 12:34 PM

There are factors at work here MUCH larger than the game and the billboard. Alot of you are missing this. This is not about whether or not graffiti is art or vandalism. Mr. Ecko got his permits legally and played it by the book, and the government is outright censoring him on the basis that they PERSONALLY dont "like" whats going on. The government does NOT stop either kkk or militant black groups from preaching messages of hate, and yet....theyre going to stop dudes painting on some plywood trains? Why is that? Because it fits their personal agendas. What goes on at that block party will not affect the amount of vandalism that gets done in this city in the short or long run. This is an outright attack on "freedom of expression". The majority of writers, especially NYC ones are going to just stay "thuggin" and not giving a shit about some "gay ass block party". Great. Stay ignorant. Sheep.

Behold a pale horse motherfuckers.

Yep, this is going to do nothing but fuel the Free Oval, FUK Graff mentality. What's next? People getting arrested at 5 pointz for painting the permission walls there becuase it promotes vandalism in the city?

like this would be the first time the government has stood in the way of a movement it "didn't like"

cmon, this isn't a sign of the apocalypse or anything, it's yet another example of our government doing whatever the fuck it wants...under the guise of doing 'what's best'

fuckin A.

we're graffiti writers.

we can go out and write if we want, i don't need no stinking permits

i don't care if graffiti has mass acceptance

and it doesn't bug me that the city is shutting it down.

if graffiti moves for world domination, like it has already started doing, it'll happen regardless of what laws and governments say.

don't forget, this is a a big publicity stunt for a graffiti "GAME"

produced by someone who has never made a rep in the scene

I totally agree with Tyler's point

This is just the tip of the iceberg, they are chipping away at our civil liberties and getting us used to the idea more and more everday...wait until June 2008, the deadline for the inactment of the Real ID act, biometrics, RFID technology.. try purchasing paint with a criminal record for graffiti then..

Originally posted by symbols@Aug 18 2005, 11:47 AM

like this would be the first time the government has stood in the way of a movement it "didn't like"

cmon, this isn't a sign of the apocalypse or anything, it's yet another example of our government doing whatever the fuck it wants...under the guise of doing 'what's best'

fuckin A.

we're graffiti writers.

we can go out and write if we want, i don't need no stinking permits

i don't care if graffiti has mass acceptance

and it doesn't bug me that the city is shutting it down.

if graffiti moves for world domination, like it has already started doing, it'll happen regardless of what laws and governments say.

don't forget, this is a a big publicity stunt for a graffiti "GAME"

produced by someone who has never made a rep in the scene

Youre missing the big picture. This isnt a sign of the apocolypse. This is one of many many many small things are adding up to a very disturbing whole... If any of you cant see that "whole" picture getting clearer and clearer as time goes on then we really are fucked in the long run.

This is not about graffiti having mass acceptance, Marc Ecko, the "Scene", publicity or any of those things.

*For the record*:

I personally think the game, blockparty, and all of that shit is stupid. But thats just me. It's very rare that I do legal shit. And I'm not some hippy/left wing liberal saying we need to picket and all that bullshit. I think that shit is pointless. If some idiots want to go "protest" something that way, hey, go for it, but the powers that be are just laughing at you as you stand outside of their offices/homes/wherever. Please dont fool yourself into thinking youre accomplishing something. But again, thats just my personal feelings on that shit. What I am totally against is the continuing attitude of glorifying being ignorant that exists today.

People are going to "wake up" when its far too late to do anything about the "big picture".

It's pretty messed up that they took down the fake trains, and that they don't encroach on KKK rallies, but that is because graffiti isn't taken seriously, for the most part. A lot of people like it, just like a lot of people smoke weed.

Sure, it's taken seriously when a fat cop and an even fatter judge are having a bad day and decide to send a coloured kid to jail for a few months to teach him a lesson, or when election time is coming up, or when some Jewish councilman has anxiety problems (which is perhaps what happened here), but other than that, it's just paint on a wall.

In the local paper the other day here (Toronto), some cop was quoted as saying that he actually thinks a lot of graffiti looks good. So there you go.

I'd be more concerned about your goddamn weed laws.

yeah, after cops shined a spotlight on our shit at scribble so we could paint at night and still see detail i kinda think people need to lighten up.

there are lots of serious fucking problems in our country

that a lot of people are well aware of

and even more are not.

this isn't really the place to bitch about people being ignorant.(channle zero?!)

right wing bible belt christians and the patriot act are huge problems with our society/government right now

i don't think shutting down marc ecko's graffiti painting event really fits in with that.

but, all in my own humble opinion.